Off-topic: the new PiDP-10 is nearing completion

oscarv

May 2, 2023, 6:43:16 PM5/2/23
to [PiDP-11]
Well, this took forever (I think, 5 years), but the PiDP-10 is very, very close to being finished. Today, the case design was approved for producing the injection mold. So this will be my new kit in - I hope, about - September.

Here is the last prototype before the mold is being made. This "Serial #1" was actually produced through CNC cutting the 3D model out of solid plastic.

aIMG_20230501_120402.jpg

Isn't she pretty? I could not resist posting off-topic to show off the new baby!

Kind regards,

Oscar.

Gerry Duprey

May 2, 2023, 6:47:16 PM5/2/23
to oscarv, [PiDP-11]
That is..... Gorgeous!

Let me know if/when early signup is available! I would be so absolutely into one.

Just.... Wow

Dare I ask what size (or at least scale of original) it is?

Gerry

On 5/2/23 18:43, oscarv wrote:
> Well, this took forever (I think, 5 years), but the PiDP-10 is very, very close to being finished.
> Today, the case design was approved for producing the injection mold. So this will be my new kit in
> - I hope, about - September.
>
> Here is the last prototype before the mold is being made. This "Serial #1" was actually produced
> through CNC cutting the 3D model out of solid plastic.
>
> aIMG_20230501_120402.jpg
>
> Isn't she pretty? I could not resist posting off-topic to show off the new baby!
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Oscar.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pidp-11/59d83e42-7fab-4335-9de4-0bafaccac8c2n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pidp-11/59d83e42-7fab-4335-9de4-0bafaccac8c2n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

c...@crg.eti.br

May 2, 2023, 6:51:18 PM5/2/23
to oscarv, [PiDP-11]
Fantastic machine! I want one!

> Em 2 de mai. de 2023, à(s) 19:43, oscarv <vermeul...@gmail.com> escreveu:
>
> Well, this took forever (I think, 5 years), but the PiDP-10 is very, very close to being finished. Today, the case design was approved for producing the injection mold. So this will be my new kit in - I hope, about - September.
>
> Here is the last prototype before the mold is being made. This "Serial #1" was actually produced through CNC cutting the 3D model out of solid plastic.

Eric Bruno

May 2, 2023, 6:53:38 PM5/2/23
to oscarv, [PiDP-11]

Looks great, definitely something I would be interested in as well.

timr...@gmail.com

May 2, 2023, 8:58:46 PM5/2/23
to [PiDP-11]
Wow, that's super nice.  Do I need one?  No.  Do I want one, Yes.

Mark Lawler

May 2, 2023, 9:38:05 PM5/2/23
to [PiDP-11]
OMG that is so slick and awesome looking!  I really *need* one of these!  Great job!  I cannot wait!!!

Best,
-Mark

Bill B

May 2, 2023, 10:43:25 PM5/2/23
to [PiDP-11]
Looks cool. What will it run? Unix or TOPS in simh?

timr...@gmail.com

May 2, 2023, 11:14:08 PM5/2/23
to [PiDP-11]
Did any 10 run a version of Unix?  I do not know, but I never heard of one.  I worked with the KA-10 at Penn State and it was a beautiful machine.d  This replica is also beautiful.

Charley Jones

May 2, 2023, 11:30:58 PM5/2/23
to Eric Bruno, oscarv, [PiDP-11]
Oh, Oscar, so beautiful, please, just take my money and send when ready….lol

Sent from my iPhone 12pm!
Charley Jones, PMP

On Tue, May 2, 2023 at 15:43 oscarv <vermeul...@gmail.com> wrote:
Well, this took forever (I think, 5 years), but the PiDP-10 is very, very close to being finished. Today, the case design was approved for producing the injection mold. So this will be my new kit in - I hope, about - September.

Here is the last prototype before the mold is being made. This "Serial #1" was actually produced through CNC cutting the 3D model out of solid plastic.

<aIMG_20230501_120402.jpg>

Isn't she pretty? I could not resist posting off-topic to show off the new baby!

Kind regards,

Oscar.

jeff.t...@gmail.com

May 3, 2023, 12:57:00 AM5/3/23
to [PiDP-11]
September might be just enough time to obtain a Raspberry PI, but probably not!

Lars Brinkhoff

May 3, 2023, 1:20:20 AM5/3/23
to [PiDP-11]
Dare I ask what size (or at least scale of original) it is?

Same as the PiDP-8 and 11, that is: 2:3.

Lars Brinkhoff

May 3, 2023, 1:22:13 AM5/3/23
to [PiDP-11]
Looks cool. What will it run? Unix or TOPS in simh?

Operating systems that are available now are: ITS, TOPS-10, TOPS-20, WAITS.  Some more are waiting in the wings.

Unix never ran on a PDP-10.

Tom Lake

May 3, 2023, 7:15:46 AM5/3/23
to [PiDP-11]
Want!! Will you take pre-orders? :^)

Marco

May 3, 2023, 7:49:20 AM5/3/23
to [PiDP-11]
Gorgeous! I feel a new project coming up this fall... :-)

Warner Losh

May 3, 2023, 9:07:38 AM5/3/23
to Lars Brinkhoff, [PiDP-11]
There was a NetBSD port started, but it was never completed. I also heard rumors of a Linux port in the 1.0ish time frame, but I never saw it available or even saw an actual announcement of the efforts in email / netnews.

Warner

Mike Kostersitz

May 3, 2023, 10:19:08 AM5/3/23
to Warner Losh, Lars Brinkhoff, [PiDP-11]
Send a sign up sheet please, I want one :)

--
Sent from Gmail because I have to :(

Clem Cole

May 3, 2023, 11:31:22 AM5/3/23
On Wed, May 3, 2023 at 9:07 AM Warner Losh <i...@bsdimp.com> wrote:

On Tue, May 2, 2023, 11:22 PM Lars Brinkhoff <lars.br...@gmail.com> wrote:

Looks cool. What will it run? Unix or TOPS in simh?

Operating systems that are available now are: ITS, TOPS-10, TOPS-20, WAITS.  Some more are waiting in the wings.

Unix never ran on a PDP-10.

There was a NetBSD port started, but it was never completed.
IIRC, several of the V7/BSD tools got moved with the original MIT compiler to TOPS-10/20 in the late 70s/early 80s [I may even have them on a backup tape somewhere].  Since the PDP-10 world was already pretty rich, and in particular, EMACS originated there, most folks I knew never felt the need. If you were a PDP-10 user, you knew the toolkit + DEC had started to move away.  At the time, folks tended to move their tools from the 36-bit systems to the Vaxen, not the other way around.

Of course, this is why Unix ended up with silliness like some of the cruft that GNU pushed (info instead of man mages) -- that was all PDP-10 (ITS) in origin.

If you were a heavy 36-bit team, then things like WAITS and ITS running on a Toad were where you went and tended to stick to that universe - not Unix.

I also heard rumors of a Linux port in the 1.0ish time frame, but I never saw it available or even saw an actual announcement of the efforts in email / netnews.
Interesting...

Just running C on a 10 does not strike me all that exciting.  The biggest issue in my mind is that the PDP-10 world was extremely rich in diversity of programming development tools - languages in particular (SAIL, SIMULA, SPITBOL, CLU, Alphard, C from the community - much less BLISS, FORTRAN, PASCAL, PL/1, COBOL etc from DEC...).   Any port would need to support the JSYS/UUIO structure from TOPS/ITS and the like, much less the file system and support structures that the OS environment provided the runtime.

Just to help make this clearer, LCC did a study across UNIX's for Unix Internation in the early 1990s - the infamous SPEC 1170 document.    Which counted 1170 different interfaces that the UNIX ISV had to consider when trying to make code portable. The 10's operating systems were not that bad, but it was still different in small and important ways that an application could see/care about.

Pieter de Tombe

May 3, 2023, 1:01:29 PM5/3/23
to [PiDP-11]
vax 11/780 next?

isy...@gmail.com

May 3, 2023, 1:44:10 PM5/3/23
to [PiDP-11]
Dear Oscar,

 Congratulations. This look FAB. As above, hope everyone has got a spare Pi !!!

BW, Ian.

Marc Howard

May 3, 2023, 1:48:09 PM5/3/23
to isy...@gmail.com, [PiDP-11]
I’d love to see a PDP-12 someday…

Marc

Mike Katz

May 3, 2023, 1:55:00 PM5/3/23
to marc....@ieee.org, isy...@gmail.com, [PiDP-11]
Oscar,

That looks amazing.

 I second the idea of a PDP-12.

Good luck and good work,

              Mike

Johnny Billquist

May 3, 2023, 7:49:29 PM5/3/23
to pid...@googlegroups.com
That would be very boring, as the VAX don't have a front panel... Unless
you count the two switches and three lamps, or whatever it was...

Johnny

--
Johnny Billquist || "I'm on a bus
|| on a psychedelic trip
email: b...@softjar.se || Reading murder books

terry-...@glaver.org

May 3, 2023, 8:01:13 PM5/3/23
to [PiDP-11]
On Wednesday, May 3, 2023 at 1:01:29 PM UTC-4 pdet...@gmail.com wrote:
vax 11/780 next?

  Boring - no real front panel, just 2 rocker switches, 4 lamps and the keyswitch.

I'd be interested in an IBM 370. The panels don't really get interesting until the Model 13x:

As you move up the product line the panels become far more complex, but almost all of the
additions are internal processor state indicators that aren't available (AFAIK) in emulation.

Maurice Onraet

May 3, 2023, 9:20:56 PM5/3/23
to terry-...@glaver.org, [PiDP-11]
Wow... Nice, very nice.  It will be my birthday present to myself.

timr...@gmail.com

May 3, 2023, 9:36:02 PM5/3/23
to [PiDP-11]
I never cared for the Vax look even when real hardware.  I think like others that this would be extremely boring.  Why not just run Simh as there are no blinky lights.

steve...@gmail.com

May 3, 2023, 9:36:18 PM5/3/23
to [PiDP-11]
The present “From me to me”. Guaranteed to be the right size and the right color  :^)

It’s on my list, too.

timr...@gmail.com

May 3, 2023, 9:38:40 PM5/3/23
to [PiDP-11]
And you know you will like it.  :)

Martin Crockett

May 3, 2023, 10:24:47 PM5/3/23
to oscarv, [PiDP-11]
Hi Oscar,

I have the 8 and the 11 and absolutely have to have a 10 for my collection.

Please advise when you are ready to take applications to purchase one.

Many thanks and cheers, Martin

On Wed, May 3, 2023, 08:13 oscarv <vermeul...@gmail.com> wrote:
Well, this took forever (I think, 5 years), but the PiDP-10 is very, very close to being finished. Today, the case design was approved for producing the injection mold. So this will be my new kit in - I hope, about - September.

Here is the last prototype before the mold is being made. This "Serial #1" was actually produced through CNC cutting the 3D model out of solid plastic.

aIMG_20230501_120402.jpg

Isn't she pretty? I could not resist posting off-topic to show off the new baby!

Kind regards,

Oscar.

Adam Thornton

May 3, 2023, 10:46:58 PM5/3/23
to oscarv, [PiDP-11]
Yeah, I'm buying one when it's available, no matter what it costs, and I'll also get the -8 even though I have no actual nostalgia for a PDP-8.

Adam

Christopher Adcock

May 3, 2023, 11:57:05 PM5/3/23
to oscarv, [PiDP-11], Adam Thornton

I would pre-order!  The 10 is what I have been waiting on!  I would pre-pay I think (part or whole).

On Wed, May 3, 2023 at 7:46 PM Adam Thornton <atho...@gmail.com> wrote:
Yeah, I'm buying one when it's available, no matter what it costs, and I'll also get the -8 even though I have no actual nostalgia for a PDP-8.

Adam

andy

May 11, 2023, 10:14:55 PM5/11/23
to [PiDP-11]
Oscar - this is not Off-topic.  This is THE topic!

David Adams

May 12, 2023, 10:31:42 AM5/12/23
to [PiDP-11]
Oh that is pretty.  I very much want one of those...

Dave

Alice Wyan

May 19, 2023, 6:54:36 AM5/19/23
to [PiDP-11]
That looks amazing! :-o

Do you know what the estimated price will be? I better start saving now 😅

David Bakin

May 23, 2023, 10:21:46 AM5/23/23
to [PiDP-11]
PDP-10 - my favorite ISA of all time!  Can't wait!

(I'm old school: All I'm interested in is KA-10 + TOPS-10. That's what Harvey Mudd had back in the day and that was just great!)