Vintage Computer Festival Southwest?

Charles Ess

Jun 6, 2024, 11:41:19 AMJun 6
to [PiDP-11]
Is anyone planning to attend the upcoming VCFS - June 14-16, University of Texas, Dallas?
The program description includes:
DEC Computing - a display of various vintage DEV computers from PDP to VAX. DEC Minicomputers: A Qbus PDP-11 will be running with the new QProbe 2023 that provides "blinkin' lights" for later generation PDP-11s. A PiDP-11/70 replica and the new PiDP-10 replica of DEC’s KA10 mainframe will also be on display.
The last are obviously Oscar & Co's work - but I'm not finding a mention of Oscar or Obsolescence Guaranteed.
My brother, now the proud owner/operator of a PiDP-8, will be there, FWIW. But maybe if enough folk from this and the PiDP-8 list were planning to go, you all could meet up some way?
Enjoy in all events,
- charles

Mark Matlock

Jun 6, 2024, 5:53:09 PMJun 6
to Charles Ess, [PiDP-11]
Charles,
    I’m planning to go and the program description you mentioned below is mine. Last year Oscar V. came to visit me in Canyon Lake, TX and then we drove up to last years VCF SW. As far as I know, he is not planning to attend VCF SW this year but I’m planning to bring my PiDP-10 (serial #12) as well as a PiDP-11/70 and possibly a real PDP-11/70 console that I reannimated with a BlinkenBone. The other thing I’m planning to bring is a 4 slot QBus backplane 11/23+ CPU with Joerg Hoppe’s QBone and QProbe 2023 that gives QBus CPUs a led front panel like their older Unibus brethren. This arrangement allows a PC power supply to power things since the QProbe has reboot, LTC, and halt switches/functionality. It would be great to get together with other DEC enthusiasts.

   I do have a possible conflict that could prevent me from attending. My wife’s mother is in hospice care and my wife is staying with her. If my mother-in-law would pass soon, I would need to drive to Illinois for the funeral and to bring my wife home.

Mark Matlock

On Jun 6, 2024, at 10:41 AM, Charles Ess <charl...@gmail.com> wrote:

Is anyone planning to attend the upcoming VCFS - June 14-16, University of Texas, Dallas?

Ken Hansen

Jun 12, 2024, 9:09:11 AMJun 12
to Charles Ess, [PiDP-11]
Yes, I plan to attend - sadly it's the same weekend as a local Hamfest - https://www.dfwhamexpo.com/

I'll have to divide my time between the two - have a vendor table at the Hamfest and a growing pile of 'stuff' for the free table at VCF SW

Ken

On Jun 6, 2024, at 10:41, Charles Ess <charl...@gmail.com> wrote:

Is anyone planning to attend the upcoming VCFS - June 14-16, University of Texas, Dallas?

Lee Gleason

Jun 13, 2024, 9:09:16 AMJun 13
to [PiDP-11]
  I'll be there on Saturday.
--
Lee K. Gleason N5ZMR
Control-G Consultants

Richard McDonald

Jun 14, 2024, 11:16:34 AMJun 14
to [PiDP-11]
It looks like I would enjoy all the displays, but unfortunately I am headed in the other direction on Sunday.  Maybe next year I'll have my Cromemco Z-1 kit finished and can show it and my PiDP11/70.  Hopefully they will even talk to each other.

Rich

John H. Reinhardt

Jun 15, 2024, 1:32:28 AMJun 15
to [PiDP-11]
Just so people know and aren't wondering about not finding Mark's display, his mother-in-law passed early this week and he is back home with his wife attending the funeral activates.

I would have been there with a table right beside him, but work interfered and I also was not able to attend (not that anyone probably even knew ;-) )  He was Booth 210 originally and mine was 211 in the Tandy building.

John H. Reinhardt

will...@gmail.com

Jun 15, 2024, 10:37:52 PMJun 15
to [PiDP-11]
Where's the Tandy stuff? I saw the main hall, free/non-free tables and went to Marcel Erz's Digital Electronics workshop - awesome, btw - his trainer is pretty cool (over in SOM), but I only saw a couple of TRS related things. Is there another location with the Tandy stuff? Vince Briel's doing a build a CHIP SBC workshop tomorrow.

Later,

Will

will...@gmail.com

Jun 16, 2024, 6:27:48 PMJun 16
to [PiDP-11]
Found it :). Giant area with lots of tables. Yay. BTW, if you're on the fence about going to one of these VCF shindigs, or you've never been, highly recommended. Three days of fun... and I got a free DVD Dual Layer Drive that works out of the deal and a ps2 keyboard :). Generally, it looks like retro computing is alive and well if the crowds of folks and scads of computers were any indication.

Lee Gleason

Jun 17, 2024, 5:50:29 PMJun 17
to [PiDP-11]
Heck, with you and Mark both missing, DEC stuff was a little thin on the ground there.

--
Lee K. Gleason N5ZMR
Control-G Consultants