LED panel holes not uniform and some don't allow LEDs through

Steve Gibson

Apr 22, 2023, 6:12:55 PM4/22/23
to [PiDP-11]
Started build the kit and got to the part where you place the LED alignment panel over the top of the LEDs, and there is a significant variation in how far the LED bulbs extend through the holes. In the hole at the very end, the bulb cannot push through at all.

Any thoughts on solutions?
PXL_20230422_160029468.jpg
PXL_20230422_155620813.jpg

Christopher Adcock

Apr 22, 2023, 6:31:14 PM4/22/23
to Steve Gibson, [PiDP-11]
Hi Steve,

The "Panel" is an alignment device mostly - but it also acts to shield the LED to avoid light bleed.  It is not supposed to fit all the way down.  You need to push all the LED in (with the white spacers).    I'll look up the video and time slot for you and reply again maybe.

Dr. Christopher Adcock

On Sat, Apr 22, 2023 at 3:13 PM Steve Gibson <st...@stevegibson.com> wrote:
Started build the kit and got to the part where you place the LED alignment panel over the top of the LEDs, and there is a significant variation in how far the LED bulbs extend through the holes. In the hole at the very end, the bulb cannot push through at all.

Any thoughts on solutions?

Christopher Adcock

Apr 22, 2023, 6:34:27 PM4/22/23
to Steve Gibson, [PiDP-11]
Part 2 of 4 Beige-o-vision (youtube).  Start at 4:00 minutes.  As you can see, it is a guide

Dr. Christopher Adcock
Assistant Research Professor
Planetary Surface Processes
UNLV Geoscience
Las Vegas,  Nevada

Steve Gibson

Apr 22, 2023, 6:55:23 PM4/22/23
to Christopher Adcock, [PiDP-11]
Thanks for the quick reply! That’s the video that I’m using to guide my build, and have done as it instructs. I understand that they aren’t supposed to fit all the way through the holes — just peek out a couple mm or so, like in the video.

The problem is that my LED panel, unlike the one in the video, doesn’t allow the bulbs through consistently. Some just barely break the surface and it doesn’t allow the one on the very end through at all. The photo I attached shows the issue where I’m comparing how one bulb will go through a bit (as expected) but with the one I have my thumb on, no amount of pressure will get it through that hole. I’ve tried different LEDs, and it’s definitely the hole size.

I’m just curious if anyone else has had this issue with their LED panel and, if so, how they resolved the issue. Maybe it’s something solvable by careful drilling, but I’m a little hesitant to try.

-Steve
--
Steve Gibson
 :___;
| ) ___ )
 - " - " -

oscarv

Apr 23, 2023, 8:22:55 PM4/23/23
to [PiDP-11]
Steve,

The LED cover panel, as mentioned, is intended to not-quite fit over the LEDs. There is some inconsistency between samples though: the margin is so tight that it matters how new or old the drill bit used by the PCB manufacturer is! An older drill is a fraction thinner and leads to tighter holes.

This, BTW, took quite some figuring out... I made about 10 PCBs with varying hole sizes before I found the size that is OK with both an old and a new drill bit.

In practice, the difference between different batches is marginal. But if yours is annoying, maybe the PCB shop had a drill bit that died halfway through cutting all the holes? Perhaps. But I can send you a new cover panel, not a problem. Just email me (oscar.vermeulen at hotmail.com).

Kind regards,

Oscar.

Steve Gibson

Apr 23, 2023, 8:35:30 PM4/23/23
to oscarv, [PiDP-11]
Thank you for the reply, Oscar! No need to send a new panel, I’ve sorted it out but just hadn’t followed up to reply about it yet.

It was maybe not the “right” way, but I was afraid to attempt drilling so instead I used the leather awl and just manually and carefully shaved it until the LED was able to poke through the same amount as the others.

-Steve