Announcing TCP/IP V2.11 for RSX-11M-PLUS

Johnny Billquist

Dec 25, 2022, 10:44:27 AM12/25/22
to Info-...@dbit.com, si...@groups.io, [PiDP-11], The Hobbyist DECnet mailing list
Time for a new release announcement of TCP/IP for RSX-11M-PLUS.

This is version 2.11 of BQTCP/IP.

It's been eight months since the last official update. Some major
improvements and bugfixes have been done, and it is strongly recommended
that systems are updated. Some of the errors fixed could cause system
crashes under the right conditions.

Highlights:

. Improved TCP performance
. Added better error messages to FTP/FTPD as well as more features and
better handling.

Detailed information on things that have been done since the last release:

TCP:
. Corrected checksum computation. Checksum values of 0 should be
replaced by -1.
. Improved TCP retransmit strategy.
. Improved TCP NVT send processing code.
. Improved TCP receive packet sequence number processing.

TELNETD:
. Improved telnet server to handle abort as stop accepting new
connections, and exit when the last existing connection is closed.

FTP/FTPD:
. Improved error messages from failed file operations in FTP/FTPD.
. Changed FTP GET command to issue SIZE before PORT/PASV/EPSV
. Changed FTPD RETR command to not push after file attributes.
. Added MDTM command to FTPD.
. Improved error messages on failed FTP OPEN command.
. Added handling of progress updates in FTP client so that it don't
possibly issue many QIOs.

LPT/LPQ:
. Added inhibit of task and session logical name table search for LPT/LPQ.

MAILD:
. Bugfix in MAILD logging for MAIL11SND. Remote string could get corrupted.
. Improved MAILD. At SMTP receive, if the remote host is bad, we
returned 550. Changed to 454, as host lookups is not a permanent error.
. Improved mail delivery logging.
. Added sender string as configuration to mail.
. Updated mailbox format.
. Improved mail error handling.
. Improved MAILD SMTP reception host filtering.
. Added ability to block mails from hosts with certain reverse DNS.

HTTPD:
. Added 400 response to http requests with no host header option.
. Made URL matching case insensitive in HTTPD.
. Improved processing of URLs in HTTPD.

MULTINET:
. Changed MULTINET to use nagle with immediate ACK.

RSX patches:
. Improved NCP as provided in RSX patches.

Installation:
. Improved installation procedure to handle installation from non-system
disk.

Some additional notes:

As usual, I would recommend people to update as soon as possible.
The changes are not critical, but will lead to a much better experience,
and might avoid system crashes in rare circumstances.

The patches to the TT: driver cannot be applied automatically, but
requires users to apply the patches themselves, and then run SYSGEN to
generate a new system.
Once added, the TNC2 task can be run at login, and will define logical
names for the user telling where he is connected from, if using telnet
or LAT.
The TT: driver patches also allows the updated MCR to give more
information with the DEV command (SHOW TERMINAL in DCL).

The other patches to RSX can be applied automatically by IPGEN, either
if used interactively when answering YES to the question about applying
RSX patches, or by running IPGEN explicitly to do the patches, with the
command:

@IPGEN PATCH

Specific information about the patches:
LAT: Fixes a memory leak, and adds the ability to read where a terminal
connection comes from when using LAT, using SF.GMC.
RMSDAP: Fixes a bug in getting the file protection, so the XAB gets
filled in correctly for remote files.
RMSDSP: Fixes that some numbers were displayed in signed octal, which
should have been displayed in decimal or unsigned octal, depending on
number.
DCL: Added terminal attributes for COLOR.
MCR: Too many fixes to be listed here...
INS: Fixes that users cannot circumvent protection on common regions.
HEL: Fix that users can login with session ID, or with directory, in
addition to name and UIC.
ACNT: Add no password change attribute to accounts.
PSW: Add no password change handling.
SYL (SYSLOG): Add terminal idle tracking on accounts without idle logout.
ECL: If the receiving machine is very slow, and the sending machine is
very fast, and the receiver announce several large buffers available,
ECL cannot keep up, and drops packets. This is a problem with the DECnet
flow control, as it is used in RSX. The simple solution is to allow more
outstanding buffers when receiving. A more complex solution would be to
change how RSX DECnet do flow control, but that would require rewriting
a fair chunk of the ECL module.
NMVACP: Fix handling of "show known nodes" command, which could skip
some nodes.
NVP: Add ability to use session ID or directory name for user identity
in DECnet nodename specifications.
EPM: Fix handling of ethernet multicast.
NTDEMO: Fix that hosts without names should display DECnet address.
NCP: Parse of additional information types in NICE messages.

As usual, the distribution is available from:
ftp://mim.stupi.net/bqtcp.dsk
ftp://mim.stupi.net/bqtcp.tap

!!! BQTCP is also available through RPM !!!

(As an additional note, if there are any problems communicating with Mim
using port 21, the ftp service is also available at port 10021)

The documentation is also available through ftp on Mim, or also at
http://mim.stupi.net/tcpipdoc

I hope people find this update useful.

Merry Christmas,

Johnny

--
Johnny Billquist || "I'm on a bus
|| on a psychedelic trip
email: b...@softjar.se || Reading murder books

Mark Matlock

Dec 25, 2022, 11:28:47 PM12/25/22
to Johnny Billquist, [PiDP-11], hec...@lists.dfupdate.se
Johnny,
Thanks for the Christmas gift!

We do appreciate your work to improve the RSX11M+ system with all your great software. I hope you have a very Merry Christmas
holiday and a Happy New Year!

Thanks and Best Regards,

Mark Matlock

Eric N

Dec 26, 2022, 5:07:02 PM12/26/22
to [PiDP-11]
Thanks Johnny! This is a nice update.  I'm re-posting my step-by-step of the installation that I did last year the first time I did the full TCP/IP stack upgrade.  Not being a PDP-11 native, it was a bear to figure out.  I believe the following gets all of the patches installed to the TT driver.

1. Get the BQTCP .TAP file via FTP

    a. set /def=DU1:[1,1]. (I saved the .tap file to the root directory of my second drive)

    b. ftp mim.stupi.net

    c. mget BQTCP.TAP

2. Go to Page E-1 of http://mim.update.uu.se/tcpipdoc and follow the instructions to:

    a. Mount the tape image (start with the "vcp con bqtcp/tap" step in the sequence)

    b.The E-1 steps will extract components into your SY: [IP] directory.
       i. Note that "set /def=[ip]" from E-1 gives me an invalid UIC error.  I used "SET DEF /NAMED [IP]".

    c. Run @IPGEN to install the bulk of the TCP/IP stack.

        i. Don't forget to say ‘Y’ to install all patches.

3.Run @IPCONFIG afterwards to configure your TCP/IP settings.

    a. I said 'N' to using DHCP to set the NTP address and instead entered "pool.ntp.org" instead because I had some previous issues where the NTP host variable was empty.  You need a valid NTP host to keep your system time automatically in sync.

4. Install the TTATT and TTDAT drivers (excerpt from Page C-7 of the tcpip doc file):

    a. set def/named LB:[telnetd]

    b. Insert new symbols for the terminal functions in RSXMAC
        i. LBR LB:[1,1]RSXMAC.SML/RP=TTSYM.MAC

    c. Insert new symbols in the UCB definitions in EXEMC

        i. LBR LB:[1,1]EXEMC.MLB/RP=UCBDF.MAC

    d. Copy the new versions of TTATT and TTDAT

        i. PIP LB:[11,10]/NV=TTATT.MAC,TTDAT.MAC
        ii. SET /DEF=LB:[11,10]

    e. Compile the new files (note that the ‘-‘ seems to be acting like the Unix ‘\’ symbol and compile line should wrap to the next line.  If you get file input errors, copy/paste the compile line from Page C-7).
        i. MAC [11,24]TTATT,[11,34]TTATT=-
                [1,1]EXEMC/ML,[11,10]RSXMC,TTMAC,TTATT
        ii. MAC [11,24]TTDAT,[11,34]TTDAT=-
                [1,1]EXEMC/ML,[11,10]RSXMC,TTMAC,TTATT

5. Insert the new files into the terminal driver library

    a. LBR [1,24]TTDRV/RP=[11,24]TTATT,TTDAT

6. Rebuild the terminal driver

    a. TKB @[200,200]TTDRVBLD

7. Generate a new system image using VMR. These steps work for the PiDP RSX-11 image. (This is an example, your setup might require changes to these commands).

    a. SET /DEF=[1,54]

    b. INS $VMR

    c. PIP RSX11M.SYS/NV/CO/BL:2050.=RSX11M.TSK

    d. VMR @SYSVMR

    e. boo rsx11m

    g. ;G <--- That’s ‘semicolon, G’ with no return.

    g. SAV/WB  <--- This will write the changes to the boot block and reboot.

8. To verify your TT drivers were installed (if you upgraded from the oringal PiDP-11 TCP/IP stack), you are looking for the REMOTE= line when doing the following:

    a. Telnet into RSX and login.

    b. Type ‘DEV TI:’ (MCR) or ‘SHOW TERMINAL"’(DCL), and you should have a line saying "REMOTE= ..."

And you're done!

-Eric N.

Johnny Billquist

Dec 26, 2022, 8:03:48 PM12/26/22
to pid...@googlegroups.com
Eric, great that you provide that writeup.

Just as a short note to people - if you have already rebuilt the
terminal driver, there is no need to do it again.

And yes, unless you've done a "SET /NAMED", a "SET /DEF=[IP]" will give
an error, since if you are in NONAMED mode, you can only change to UIC
based directories.

Johnny
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pidp-11/140fdbd9-c4e8-4d08-b099-72eb6502b356n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pidp-11/140fdbd9-c4e8-4d08-b099-72eb6502b356n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Eric Bruno

Mar 5, 2023, 3:32:35 AM3/5/23
to [PiDP-11]
After rebuilding The TCP/IP stack and rebooting ntpdate is giving an error that the ntp host is not being set.
if I  check with ASN /all NTP$HOST is not set.
If I manually set it using
dfl "pool.ntp.org"=NTP$HOST/GBL
Then the command works
>run [ip]ntpdate
NTPDATE - Clock error is 0 secs.
NTPDATE - Tick delta: 3

if try running with -s or -d it gives the error:
run [ip]ntpdate -d
INS -- Syntax error

>run [ip]ntpdate -s
INS -- Syntax error

NTP host seems to defined in the param file.
[1,2]IPPARAM.CMD
.; Created on 04-MAR-2023 23:36:24
.;
.enable global
.;
.; General configuration
.;
.setd $plsz
.setn $plsz 256.
.sets $host "PDP1101RSX11M"
.setT $dhdom
.sets $domai ""
.setT $dhdns
.sets $dns ""
.setF $mdns
.setF $dhntp
.sets $ntpa "pool.ntp.org"
.;
.; Client configuration
.;
.setF $tel
.setF $irc
.setT $ftp
.setT $ntp
.sets $ntpof "480"

Eric Bruno

Mar 5, 2023, 3:36:21 AM3/5/23
to [PiDP-11]
In the boot up stream I see this
DFL "LB:[IPLOG]"=IP$LOG/GBL
>DFL "LB:[HTTP]"=SYS$HTTP/GBL
>DFL "LB:[HTTPD]"=HTTPD$ROOT/GBL
>DFL "pool.ntp.org"=NTP$HOST/GR=5

Johnny Billquist

Mar 5, 2023, 5:14:54 AM3/5/23
to pid...@googlegroups.com
Hi.

On 2023-03-05 09:32, Eric Bruno wrote:
> After rebuilding The TCP/IP stack and rebooting ntpdate is giving an
> error that the ntp host is not being set.
> if I  check with ASN /all NTP$HOST is not set.
> If I manually set it using
> dfl "pool.ntp.org"=NTP$HOST/GBL
> Then the command works
> >run [ip]ntpdate
> NTPDATE - Clock error is 0 secs.
> NTPDATE - Tick delta: 3

Good.

> if try running with -s or -d it gives the error:
> run [ip]ntpdate -d
> INS -- Syntax error
>

> >run [ip]ntpdate -s
> INS -- Syntax error

That is because in RSX, you cannot do this. The "RUN" command do not
take arbitrary arguments to the program to be run.

What you can do is:

RUN [IP]NTPDATE/CMD="X -s"

The X is just a random string that is to become what you'd call argv[0]
in a C program. If a program have been installed in RSX, you can do what
you are thinking. But it is done like this:

INS [IP]NTPDATE/TASK=...NTP
NTP -s

And to follow up on your next post, yes, I've generally moved specific
configuration things into group 5, when it's not something that is
generally needed. Such as the NTP configuration. So it seems NTP$HOST is
defined correctly. Which just leaves the question - is this done only
after NTPDATE is run, or are you changing the NETUIC in your system at
some point? Because which group is used comes from NETUIC. Default is
group 5, but it should work fine with whatever group, but if you change
at some point, you might have problems.

Johnny

Eric Bruno

Mar 5, 2023, 2:36:45 PM3/5/23
to [PiDP-11]
Do a reboot
login as system
MCR>run [ip]ntpdate/cmd="x -s -d"
NTPDATE - Host is
NTPDATE - No host to connect to...

If understand what is happening, the /GR:5 option that only
user's with group id of 5 will see the global variable.
Since I am in [1,1] the variable will not be seen

asn /all

(Session Login Logical Table for TT23:)

     "SYS$LOGIN"  =   "DU:[001,001]" [Final]

(System Logical Table)

     "CLE$EDT"    =   "2"
     "CLE$EMACS"  =   "4"
     "DNS$SERVER" =   "10.10.41.165"
     "HOST$PDP1101RSX11M"
                  =   "10.10.41.204"
     "HOSTNAME"   =   "PDP1101RSX11M"
     "HOSTS"      =   "LB:[1,2]HOSTS.TXT"
     "HTTPD$ROOT" =   "LB:[HTTPD]"
     "IP$10.10.41.204"
                  =   "PDP1101RSX11M"
     "IP$LOG"     =   "LB:[IPLOG]"
     "MAILD$"     =   "LB:[MAILD]"
     "QMG$QUE_PLOT"
                  =   "TT15:"
     "RESOLV$ORDER"
                  =   "LOGICAL,DNS,FILE"
     "RU1"        =   "DU1:" [Final]
     "RU2"        =   "DU2:" [Final]
     "SYS$HTTP"   =   "LB:[HTTP]"
     "SYS$UTC_OFFSET"
                  =   "480"
     "WK"         =   "LB:" [Final]

If I create a user with group of 5 then when I login I see
(Session Login Logical Table for TT24:)

     "SYS$LOGIN"  =   "DU:[005,200]" [Final]

(Group 5 Logical Table)

     "DHCP$IF0"   =   "RTR,DNS,DOM"
     "DHCP$IF0$SERVER"
                  =   "10.10.41.1"
     "NTP$HOST"   =   "pool.ntp.org"
     "TELNET$WELCOME"
                  =   "Welcome to pidp1101 on RSX-11M-Plus System!"

>run [IP]ntpdate

NTPDATE - Clock error is 0 secs.
NTPDATE - Tick delta: -18

run [IP]ntpdate/cmd="x -s -d"
NTPDATE - Host is pool.ntp.org
IL=0, VN=3, mode=4
stratum=3, poll=6, precision=-23
distance=3794, drift=2030, refclock=d8e50445
reference=e7af68ab/84f495ff
originate=0/0
receive=  e7af6c28/3f84732b
transmit= e7af6c28/3f86d268

NTPDATE - Clock error is 0 secs.
NTPDATE - Tick delta: -12
NTPDATE - Error is -12. Clock synced to Mon Mar 06 03:29:44 2023

Since I am in Pacific Time I should actually be setting this to -480 correct?
"SYS$UTC_OFFSET"
                  =   "480"

So if want to be able to run ntpdate from system [1,1] then I should add the following:
DFL "pool.ntp.org"=NTP$HOST/GR=1

Eric Bruno

Mar 5, 2023, 3:22:49 PM3/5/23
to [PiDP-11]
In DU0:[IP]IPAPPL.CMD
I changed
.IF $NTPA <> "" .IFF $DHNTP DFL "'$NTPA'"=NTP$HOST/GR='$NGRP'
.IF $NTPA <> "" .IFF $DHNTP DFL "'$NTPA'"=NTP$HOST/GR='$NGRP'
.; Allow system user to run ntpdate.
.IF $NTPA <> "" .IFF $DHNTP DFL "'$NTPA'"=NTP$HOST/GR=1
now the system user can run ntpdate.

Johnny Billquist

Mar 5, 2023, 5:41:07 PM3/5/23
to pid...@googlegroups.com
Well. The thing is, NTPDATE is supposed to change itself to run under
the NETUIC. So either you have NETUIC set to something else than group
5, or something else is funny in your system that I don't fully understand.

Could you start by checking what your NETUIC is?

SET /NETUIC

Johnny
>      "NTP$HOST"   =   "pool.ntp.org <http://pool.ntp.org>"
>      "TELNET$WELCOME"
>                   =  "Welcome to pidp1101 on RSX-11M-Plus System!"
>
> >run [IP]ntpdate
>
> NTPDATE - Clock error is 0 secs.
> NTPDATE - Tick delta: -18
>
> run [IP]ntpdate/cmd="x -s -d"
> NTPDATE - Host is pool.ntp.org <http://pool.ntp.org>
> IL=0, VN=3, mode=4
> stratum=3, poll=6, precision=-23
> distance=3794, drift=2030, refclock=d8e50445
> reference=e7af68ab/84f495ff
> originate=0/0
> receive=  e7af6c28/3f84732b
> transmit= e7af6c28/3f86d268
>
> NTPDATE - Clock error is 0 secs.
> NTPDATE - Tick delta: -12
> NTPDATE - Error is -12. Clock synced to Mon Mar 06 03:29:44 2023
>
> Since I am in Pacific Time I should actually be setting this to -480
> correct?
> "SYS$UTC_OFFSET"
>                   =  "480"
>
> So if want to be able to run ntpdate from system [1,1] then I should
> add the following:
> DFL "pool.ntp.org <http://pool.ntp.org/>"=NTP$HOST/GR=1
> On Sunday, March 5, 2023 at 2:14:54 AM UTC-8 b...@softjar.se wrote:
>
> Hi.
>
> On 2023-03-05 09:32, Eric Bruno wrote:
> > After rebuilding The TCP/IP stack and rebooting ntpdate is
> giving an
> > error that the ntp host is not being set.
> > if I  check with ASN /all NTP$HOST is not set.
> > If I manually set it using
> > dfl "pool.ntp.org <http://pool.ntp.org>"=NTP$HOST/GBL
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pidp-11/01b8da78-7f37-4fbd-bb02-010976df3b48n%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pidp-11/01b8da78-7f37-4fbd-bb02-010976df3b48n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Eric Bruno

Mar 5, 2023, 5:42:58 PM3/5/23
to [PiDP-11]
set /netuic
NETUIC=[5,54]

Johnny Billquist

Mar 5, 2023, 5:43:34 PM3/5/23
to pid...@googlegroups.com
By the way, as a privileged user, you can see logical names in other
groups as well.

DFL /GR:5

would list them for you. And if you have installed the various patches
to RSX that I've included, this should also work:

DFL /GR:*

which will list all groups with logical names defined.

The only reason to keep it in a group is to just keep the global logical
name space a little less cluttered with things that don't matter for
others anyway.

Johnny

On 2023-03-05 21:22, Eric Bruno wrote:
>      "NTP$HOST"   =   "pool.ntp.org <http://pool.ntp.org>"
>      "TELNET$WELCOME"
>                   =  "Welcome to pidp1101 on RSX-11M-Plus System!"
>
> >run [IP]ntpdate
>
> NTPDATE - Clock error is 0 secs.
> NTPDATE - Tick delta: -18
>
> run [IP]ntpdate/cmd="x -s -d"
> NTPDATE - Host is pool.ntp.org <http://pool.ntp.org>
> IL=0, VN=3, mode=4
> stratum=3, poll=6, precision=-23
> distance=3794, drift=2030, refclock=d8e50445
> reference=e7af68ab/84f495ff
> originate=0/0
> receive=  e7af6c28/3f84732b
> transmit= e7af6c28/3f86d268
>
> NTPDATE - Clock error is 0 secs.
> NTPDATE - Tick delta: -12
> NTPDATE - Error is -12. Clock synced to Mon Mar 06 03:29:44 2023
>
> Since I am in Pacific Time I should actually be setting this to -480
> correct?
> "SYS$UTC_OFFSET"
>                   =  "480"
>
> So if want to be able to run ntpdate from system [1,1] then I should
> add the following:
> DFL "pool.ntp.org <http://pool.ntp.org/>"=NTP$HOST/GR=1
> On Sunday, March 5, 2023 at 2:14:54 AM UTC-8 b...@softjar.se wrote:
>
> Hi.
>
> On 2023-03-05 09:32, Eric Bruno wrote:
> > After rebuilding The TCP/IP stack and rebooting ntpdate is
> giving an
> > error that the ntp host is not being set.
> > if I  check with ASN /all NTP$HOST is not set.
> > If I manually set it using
> > dfl "pool.ntp.org <http://pool.ntp.org>"=NTP$HOST/GBL
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pidp-11/01b8da78-7f37-4fbd-bb02-010976df3b48n%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pidp-11/01b8da78-7f37-4fbd-bb02-010976df3b48n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Johnny Billquist

Mar 5, 2023, 5:44:45 PM3/5/23
to pid...@googlegroups.com
Looks good. So why on earth isn't NTPDATE using that group then. That
sounds strange.

But this is becoming hard to figure out by small questions like this
back and forth. Is there any way I could get access to the system?

Johnny
> <http://pool.ntp.org <http://pool.ntp.org>>"
> >      "TELNET$WELCOME"
> >                   =  "Welcome to pidp1101 on RSX-11M-Plus System!"
> >
> > >run [IP]ntpdate
> >
> > NTPDATE - Clock error is 0 secs.
> > NTPDATE - Tick delta: -18
> >
> > run [IP]ntpdate/cmd="x -s -d"
> > NTPDATE - Host is pool.ntp.org <http://pool.ntp.org>
> <http://pool.ntp.org <http://pool.ntp.org>>
> > IL=0, VN=3, mode=4
> > stratum=3, poll=6, precision=-23
> > distance=3794, drift=2030, refclock=d8e50445
> > reference=e7af68ab/84f495ff
> > originate=0/0
> > receive=  e7af6c28/3f84732b
> > transmit= e7af6c28/3f86d268
> >
> > NTPDATE - Clock error is 0 secs.
> > NTPDATE - Tick delta: -12
> > NTPDATE - Error is -12. Clock synced to Mon Mar 06 03:29:44 2023
> >
> > Since I am in Pacific Time I should actually be setting this to -480
> > correct?
> > "SYS$UTC_OFFSET"
> >                   =  "480"
> >
> > So if want to be able to run ntpdate from system [1,1] then I should
> > add the following:
> > DFL "pool.ntp.org <http://pool.ntp.org> <http://pool.ntp.org/
> <http://pool.ntp.org/>>"=NTP$HOST/GR=1
> > On Sunday, March 5, 2023 at 2:14:54 AM UTC-8 b...@softjar.se wrote:
> >
> > Hi.
> >
> > On 2023-03-05 09:32, Eric Bruno wrote:
> > > After rebuilding The TCP/IP stack and rebooting ntpdate is
> > giving an
> > > error that the ntp host is not being set.
> > > if I  check with ASN /all NTP$HOST is not set.
> > > If I manually set it using
> > > dfl "pool.ntp.org <http://pool.ntp.org> <http://pool.ntp.org
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pidp-11/01b8da78-7f37-4fbd-bb02-010976df3b48n%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pidp-11/01b8da78-7f37-4fbd-bb02-010976df3b48n%40googlegroups.com> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pidp-11/01b8da78-7f37-4fbd-bb02-010976df3b48n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pidp-11/01b8da78-7f37-4fbd-bb02-010976df3b48n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
>
> --
> Johnny Billquist || "I'm on a bus
> || on a psychedelic trip
> email: b...@softjar.se || Reading murder books
> pdp is alive! || tryin' to stay hip" - B. Idol
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pidp-11/1b81488a-c7ea-4d67-b15e-9236bd5973c2n%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pidp-11/1b81488a-c7ea-4d67-b15e-9236bd5973c2n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Eric Bruno

Mar 5, 2023, 6:02:57 PM3/5/23
to [PiDP-11]
The easiest may be for me upload a tar.gz to dropbox and send you an link.
The install is pretty stock, only added a couple of accounts only app on the system in my account.
Is FIZZBUZZ in Macro-11.
Your distribution is [1,1] on du2: which is automounted public.

 348M Mar  5 13:20 2023_03_05_rsx11mbackup.tar.gz
Just need to comment out this line in boot.ini.
Line 18
; Uncomment this line to set the console to a serial
; port.  Needs to commented out to do sysgens.
set console serial=/dev/ttyUSB0;4800-8N1
I have a arduino controller connected to 4X20 LCD display I that I normally use as a console display.

Johnny Billquist

Mar 5, 2023, 6:12:12 PM3/5/23
to pid...@googlegroups.com
Sure. We could try that, although trying to boot that will probably
cause some mess because I bet you have a network setup that isn't
exactly compatible with what I have at home.

Johnny
> <http://pool.ntp.org>> <http://pool.ntp.org <http://pool.ntp.org>
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pidp-11/01b8da78-7f37-4fbd-bb02-010976df3b48n%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pidp-11/01b8da78-7f37-4fbd-bb02-010976df3b48n%40googlegroups.com> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pidp-11/01b8da78-7f37-4fbd-bb02-010976df3b48n%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pidp-11/01b8da78-7f37-4fbd-bb02-010976df3b48n%40googlegroups.com>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pidp-11/01b8da78-7f37-4fbd-bb02-010976df3b48n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pidp-11/01b8da78-7f37-4fbd-bb02-010976df3b48n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pidp-11/01b8da78-7f37-4fbd-bb02-010976df3b48n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pidp-11/01b8da78-7f37-4fbd-bb02-010976df3b48n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>>.
> >
> > --
> > Johnny Billquist || "I'm on a bus
> > email: b...@softjar.se || Reading murder books
> > pdp is alive! || tryin' to stay hip" - B. Idol
> >
> > --
> send
> > an email to pidp-11+u...@googlegroups.com
> > <mailto:pidp-11+u...@googlegroups.com>.
> >
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pidp-11/1b81488a-c7ea-4d67-b15e-9236bd5973c2n%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pidp-11/1b81488a-c7ea-4d67-b15e-9236bd5973c2n%40googlegroups.com> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pidp-11/1b81488a-c7ea-4d67-b15e-9236bd5973c2n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pidp-11/1b81488a-c7ea-4d67-b15e-9236bd5973c2n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
>
> --
> Johnny Billquist || "I'm on a bus
> || on a psychedelic trip
> email: b...@softjar.se || Reading murder books
> pdp is alive! || tryin' to stay hip" - B. Idol
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pidp-11/611e7807-fcb7-46c3-9c7f-309c6c80a7ccn%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pidp-11/611e7807-fcb7-46c3-9c7f-309c6c80a7ccn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Eric Bruno

Mar 5, 2023, 6:13:41 PM3/5/23
to [PiDP-11]
Just running DHCP.

Johnny Billquist

Mar 5, 2023, 6:27:39 PM3/5/23
to pid...@googlegroups.com
Ok. Maybe should be good then...

Saw the link. Will check this out.

> [...]
> > >
> > > --
> > > Johnny Billquist || "I'm on a bus
> > > email: b...@softjar.se || Reading murder books
> > > pdp is alive! || tryin' to stay hip" - B. Idol
> > >
> > > --
> > send
> > > an email to pidp-11+u...@googlegroups.com
> > > <mailto:pidp-11+u...@googlegroups.com>.
> > >

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pidp-11/1b81488a-c7ea-4d67-b15e-9236bd5973c2n%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pidp-11/1b81488a-c7ea-4d67-b15e-9236bd5973c2n%40googlegroups.com> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pidp-11/1b81488a-c7ea-4d67-b15e-9236bd5973c2n%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pidp-11/1b81488a-c7ea-4d67-b15e-9236bd5973c2n%40googlegroups.com>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pidp-11/1b81488a-c7ea-4d67-b15e-9236bd5973c2n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pidp-11/1b81488a-c7ea-4d67-b15e-9236bd5973c2n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pidp-11/1b81488a-c7ea-4d67-b15e-9236bd5973c2n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pidp-11/1b81488a-c7ea-4d67-b15e-9236bd5973c2n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>>.
> >
> > --
> > Johnny Billquist || "I'm on a bus
> > email: b...@softjar.se || Reading murder books
> > pdp is alive! || tryin' to stay hip" - B. Idol
> >
> > --
> send
> > an email to pidp-11+u...@googlegroups.com
> > <mailto:pidp-11+u...@googlegroups.com>.
> >
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pidp-11/611e7807-fcb7-46c3-9c7f-309c6c80a7ccn%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pidp-11/611e7807-fcb7-46c3-9c7f-309c6c80a7ccn%40googlegroups.com> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pidp-11/611e7807-fcb7-46c3-9c7f-309c6c80a7ccn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pidp-11/611e7807-fcb7-46c3-9c7f-309c6c80a7ccn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
>
> --
> Johnny Billquist || "I'm on a bus
> || on a psychedelic trip
> email: b...@softjar.se || Reading murder books
> pdp is alive! || tryin' to stay hip" - B. Idol
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pidp-11/38b6f308-d237-4eb0-8296-f2e65d0222adn%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pidp-11/38b6f308-d237-4eb0-8296-f2e65d0222adn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Eric Bruno

Mar 5, 2023, 6:30:53 PM3/5/23
to [PiDP-11]
Try this telnet ebruno.dynalias.net:3023  you should be able to login the default system login.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pidp-11/38b6f308-d237-4eb0-8296-f2e65d0222adn%40googlegroups.com.

Eric Bruno

Mar 5, 2023, 9:26:33 PM3/5/23
to Johnny Billquist, pid...@googlegroups.com
Johnny determined that an old version NTPDATE was still on the system, deleting that and using new version everything works as expected.

Last issue  the update MCR.TSK, MCD.TSK and the other updates are in [3,54] but the command
dfl /gr:5 is giving the error
DFL -- Syntax error
I did do the sysgen I see:

Data space loading completed
VMR -- *DIAG*-Installed tasks or commons may no longer fit in partition
SET /TOP=SYSPAR:-*
VMR -- *DIAG*-Loadable driver larger than 4K
LOA TT:
VMR -- *DIAG*-Installed tasks or commons may no longer fit in partition
SET /TOP=DRVPAR:-*
SECPOL 117734 00200400 00200000  SEC POOL
SYSPAR 117670 00400400 00205400  MAIN
       117624 00400400 00115300  RO COM !DIR11M!
       117434 00515700 00005200  TASK   [...LDR]
       117230 00523100 00033300  TASK   [MCR...]
       117024 00556400 00010500  TASK   [TKTN  ]
       116620 00567100 00003200  TASK   [SHF...]
       116414 00572300 00013500  TASK   [RCT...]
DRVPAR 116334 00606000 00173100  MAIN
       116270 00606000 00006700  RO COM !TTEXT !
       116204 00614700 00020600  RO COM !TTCOM !
       116120 00635500 00034200  DRIVER (TT:)
       115450 00671700 00001300  DRIVER (DK:)
       114650 00673200 00003500  DRIVER (DL:)
       114604 00676700 00005100  RO COM !PUCOM !
       114004 00704000 00014000  DRIVER (DU:)
       113450 00720000 00011500  DRIVER (MU:)
       113214 00731500 00002000  DRIVER (CR:)
       112704 00733500 00005300  DRIVER (MS:)
       112360 00741000 00005000  DRIVER (DY:)
       112050 00746000 00004000  DRIVER (DD:)
       111630 00752000 00001300  DRIVER (LP:)
       111410 00753300 00000500  DRIVER (PP:)
       111170 00754000 00000400  DRIVER (PR:)
       111000 00754400 00000100  DRIVER (NL:)
       110734 00754500 00017700  DRIVER (VF:)
       110670 00774400 00000300  DRIVER (CO:)
       110624 00774700 00002500  DRIVER (VT:)
       110560 00777400 00001500  DRIVER (RD:)
GEN    110514 01001100 16756700  MAIN
       110450 01001100 00002000  RO COM !DYCOM !
...LDR 12.01  117500  SYSPAR 248. 00005200 LB0:-00716530 FIXED
TKTN   07.01  117070  SYSPAR 248. 00010500 LB0:-00213272 FIXED
F11MSG 15.00  106224  GEN    200. 00006300 LB0:-00172262
MTAACP 17.00  105630  GEN    200. 00016200 LB0:-00201730
SHE... 06.01  105360  GEN    200. 00014500 LB0:-00211037
MCR... 08.00  117274  SYSPAR 160. 00033300 LB0:-01021266 FIXED
F11ACP 07.00D 110214  GEN    149. 00041000 LB0:-00170666
ERRLOG 05.03  107530  GEN    148. 00056200 LB0:-00170534
PMT... 02.02  107070  GEN    148. 00007500 LB0:-00204744
COT... 02.04  106350  GEN    145. 00014300 LB0:-00163471
HRC... 05.00  105754  GEN    140. 00042500 LB0:-00173752
PMD... 07.05  105504  GEN    140. 00017600 LB0:-00204714
SYSLOG 04.04  106620  GEN    130. 00024500 LB0:-01022157
SHF... 07.01  116664  SYSPAR 105. 00003200 LB0:-00211056 FIXED
RCT... 06.02  116460  SYSPAR 100. 00013500 LB0:-00206035 FIXED
FXR... 03.02  106100  GEN    100. 00003300 LB0:-00172254
BAP0   04.11  110000  GEN     80. 00050300 LB0:-00153251
QMG... 06.04  106744  GEN     75. 00037300 LB0:-00205673
CR0    03.01  107654  GEN     70. 00035100 LB0:-00163647
LP0    07.04  107310  GEN     70. 00020300 LB0:-00177473
ACNT   06.10  106474  GEN     50. 00057300 LB0:-01022060
SHUTUP 04.04  105234  GEN     50. 00016500 LB0:-00211063
...RMD 05.00  002042+ GEN    225. 00042000 LB0:-00206117
...DCL 06.01  002016+ GEN    160. 00062500 LB0:-01022500
...DMO 04.02  002020+ GEN    160. 00017300 LB0:-00165501
...MCR 08.36  002034+ GEN    160. 00040300 LB0:-01021323
...MOU 26.06  002036+ GEN    160. 00045600 LB0:-00201520
...CA. 01.00  002072+ GEN    150. 00026100 LB0:-00211733
...INS 17.00  002032+ GEN    100. 00053300 LB0:-01021634
...SAV 11.00  002066+ GEN    100. 00070500 LB0:-00724375
...UFD 07.02  002074+ GEN    100. 00014500 LB0:-00213305
...VCP V04.10 002076+ GEN     90. 00020300 LB0:-00213473
...ACS 04.00  002050+ GEN     70. 00006200 LB0:-00152367
...ACC 05.00  002010+ GEN     65. 00032100 LB0:-00151675
...SHA 06.01  002070+ GEN     65. 00032000 LB0:-00210664
...AT. 10.0   002024+ GEN     64. 00056500 LB0:-00174223
...INI 24.00  002026+ GEN     60. 00037200 LB0:-00174543
...HOM 24.00  002030+ GEN     60. 00037200 LB0:-00174543
...BRO 09.10  002012+ GEN     50. 00041500 LB0:-00160533
...BYE 05.01  002014+ GEN     50. 00021700 LB0:-00161037
...HEL 06.10  002022+ GEN     50. 00031600 LB0:-01021774
...PIP 21.00  002040+ GEN     50. 00027500 LB0:-00215077
...UNL 05.04  002044+ GEN     50. 00021500 LB0:-00213421
...ACD 03.00  002046+ GEN     50. 00042500 LB0:-00151766
...BOO 03.10  002052+ GEN     50. 00047200 LB0:-00153177
...CON 05.00  002054+ GEN     50. 00135600 LB0:-00163212
...ELI 04.03  002056+ GEN     50. 00032600 LB0:-00170477
...LOA 05.03  002060+ GEN     50. 00040000 LB0:-00177276
...MAG 03.00  002062+ GEN     50. 00037300 LB0:-00200113
...PSW 03.03  002064+ GEN     50. 00017600 LB0:-01022135
YLA     OFL     CPA     CSR=177560      VEC=60  PRI=5
YLB     OFL     CPA     CSR=160010      VEC=310 PRI=5
YLC     OFL     CPA     CSR=160020      VEC=320 PRI=5
YZA     OFL     CPA     CSR=160030      VEC=330 PRI=5
DKA     OFL     CPA     CSR=177404      VEC=220 PRI=5
DLA     OFL     CPA     CSR=174400      VEC=160 PRI=5
DUA     OFL     CPA     CSR=172150      VEC=154 PRI=5
MUA     OFL     CPA     CSR=174500      VEC=260 PRI=5
CRA     OFL     CPA     CSR=177160      VEC=230 PRI=6
MSA     OFL     CPA     CSR=172522      VEC=224 PRI=5
DYA     OFL     CPA     CSR=177170      VEC=264 PRI=5
DDA     OFL     CPA     CSR=176500      VEC=300 PRI=4
LPA     OFL     CPA     CSR=177514      VEC=200 PRI=4
PPA     OFL     CPA     CSR=177554      VEC=74  PRI=4
PRA     OFL     CPA     CSR=177550      VEC=70  PRI=4
VF0:                    OFL     DRIVER
VF1:                    OFL     DRIVER
VF2:                    OFL     DRIVER
VF3:                    OFL     DRIVER
CO0:                    OFL     DRIVER
TT0:    YLA0:           OFL     DRIVER
TT1:    YLB0:           OFL     DRIVER
TT2:    YLC0:           OFL     DRIVER
TT3:    YZA0:           OFL     DRIVER
TT4:    YZA1:           OFL     DRIVER
TT5:    YZA2:           OFL     DRIVER
TT6:    YZA3:           OFL     DRIVER
TT7:    YZA4:           OFL     DRIVER
TT10:   YZA5:           OFL     DRIVER
TT11:   YZA6:           OFL     DRIVER
TT12:   YZA7:           OFL     DRIVER
VT0:                    OFL     DRIVER
RD0:                    ONL     DRIVER
DK0:    DKA0:           OFL     DRIVER
DK1:    DKA1:           OFL     DRIVER
DK2:    DKA2:           OFL     DRIVER
DK3:    DKA3:           OFL     DRIVER
DL0:    DLA0:           OFL     DRIVER
DL1:    DLA1:           OFL     DRIVER
DL2:    DLA2:           OFL     DRIVER
DL3:    DLA3:           OFL     DRIVER
DU0:    DUA0:           OFL     DRIVER
DU1:    DUA1:           OFL     DRIVER
DU2:    DUA2:           OFL     DRIVER
DU3:    DUA3:           OFL     DRIVER
MU0:    MUA0:           OFL     DRIVER
CR0:    CRA0:           OFL     DRIVER
MS0:    MSA0:           OFL     DRIVER
DY0:    DYA0:           OFL     DRIVER
DY1:    DYA1:           OFL     DRIVER
DD0:    DDA0:           OFL     DRIVER
DD1:    DDA1:           OFL     DRIVER
LP0:    LPA0:           OFL     DRIVER
PP0:    PPA0:           OFL     DRIVER
PR0:    PRA0:           OFL     DRIVER
NL0:                    OFL     DRIVER
POOL=1200:12350.:12350.:2004

>BOO RSX11M
XDT: 87

XDT>;g
RSX-11M-PLUS V4.6   BL87

> SAV /WB

System reboots
from the console:
DEV TI:
TT0:    [200200]    [1,2]
        CLI   = MCR     Buf   = 80.     Hfill = 0
        Lines = 24.     Term  = VT100   Owner = none
        NOPrinter_Port  NOPasthru       NOSerial
        NOLower Priv    NOHold  NOSlave NOESC   CRT     NOForm  NORemote
        Echo    NOVfill HHT     NOFDX   Wrap    NORPA   NOEBC   Typeahead
        NOCtrlC AVO     Ansi    DEC     NOEdit  NORegis NOSoft  NOBlkmod
        NOHsync BRO     NOAbaud TTsync

From a telnet session:
DEV TI:

TT23: [001001]    [1,1]      5-MAR-2023 18:13   1           S. System
Remote= macmini02.sc.ebruno.org:63327 (TCP)
CLI   = MCR Buf   = 90. Hfill = 0
Lines = 24. Term  = VT2xx Owner = none NOParity
Char_Length = 8 NOPrinter_Port NOPasthru NOSerial
Lower Priv NOHold NOSlave ESC CRT NOForm Remote
Echo NOVfill HHT FDX Wrap NORPA EBC Typeahead
NOCtrlC AVO Ansi DEC Edit NORegis Soft NOBlkmod
Hsync BRO NOAbaud NOTTsync

>dfl /gr:5
DFL -- Syntax error
>dfl /gr:*
DFL -- Syntax error
>dfl /all
(works as expected)

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pidp-11/eee420b8-05cf-f184-48e9-2aa8942c356e%40softjar.se.

Johnny Billquist

Mar 5, 2023, 10:03:34 PM3/5/23
to Eric Bruno, pid...@googlegroups.com
My fault. For some reason the syntax for DFL /GR should use =, and not
:. Most other commands accept either, but for some reason that one don't.

Johnny
> [...]
> > <mailto:pidp-11+u...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:pidp-11%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>>.
> >
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pidp-11/1b81488a-c7ea-4d67-b15e-9236bd5973c2n%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pidp-11/1b81488a-c7ea-4d67-b15e-9236bd5973c2n%40googlegroups.com> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pidp-11/1b81488a-c7ea-4d67-b15e-9236bd5973c2n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pidp-11/1b81488a-c7ea-4d67-b15e-9236bd5973c2n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
>
> --
> Johnny Billquist                  || "I'm on a bus
>                                    ||  on a psychedelic trip
> email: b...@softjar.se <mailto:b...@softjar.se>             ||
> Reading murder books
> pdp is alive!                    ||  tryin' to stay hip" - B. Idol

Crni Mrki

Mar 23, 2023, 6:53:56 AM3/23/23
to [PiDP-11]
Hallo,
I have the same problem after updating to the latest version.
Please help me how to manually replace NTPDATE.TSK with a newer version without doing the whole installation again.
Bruno Novak

Johnny Billquist

Mar 23, 2023, 7:18:18 AM3/23/23
to pid...@googlegroups.com
The new version is already there. It's just that the old one is also there.

If you look, you'll see both NTPDAT.TSK, NTPDATRES.TSK and NTPDATE.TSK.
And if you look at the time stamps on them, it's probably obvious that
NTPDATE.TSK is older.

The reason for this mess is that I started building two versions of the
task. One that is completely standalone, and one that uses the shared
libraries for RMS and C. And by convention, task files end on "RES" when
they use resident shared libraries. So I needed to truncate the rest to
just 6 characters.

Johnny