usr file system full

Darrell Pelan

May 30, 2024, 4:25:12 PMMay 30
to [PiDP-11]
I logged into my PiDP system today and was greeted by "/usr: file system full" What steps should I take?

Thanks,

  Darrell

Clem Cole

May 30, 2024, 5:40:11 PMMay 30
to Darrell Pelan, [PiDP-11]
Darell - you did not say which UNIX you were running.   (There are more tools in later editions).

If there is a runaway process, kill it and see what's up.

You may have to reboot single user.

Some thoughts: du -s or maybe du -s /usr/*  | sort -r -n is your friend.
icheck(8), ncheck(8) and V6 or later fsck(8) will help with FS corruption [Ted and I wrote fsck(8) years ago @ CMU to help clean up things - but it only is v6 or later. [it should be easy to take the v6 version and back port to v5 but I never did]  FWIW: fsck(8) is distributed as part of the BSD releases, but findable for earlier versions -- although it may not be there already on you RPi but by going to TUHS at l it findable].

That said,  it might be easier to swap out the disk image.  If there is nothing valuable  on your FS, you are done.  If not, maybe the easiest solution is save the bits  on the RPi, set up a new system and then
mount the corrupt FS read-only and pull anything you can.

Send me email off list, I may be able to help you a bit if you have questions.
Clem