How to boot into another OS from simh CLI?

Steve Gibson

Apr 30, 2023, 8:56:30 PM4/30/23
to [PiDP-11]
This is surely basic and stupid, but I can’t figure out how to boot into another OS image from the simh CLI after I’ve shutdown an OS and end up back at the simh prompt.

I can, of course, toggle the switches (0102 for 211bsd, for instance) and hit the Address button to cause simh to reboot and execute the specified OS setup commands in the relevant boot.ini file, but how do I do that from the console without having to go set the physical switches? I see the relevant commands that are used in the boot.ini files available on the simh CLI, but surely there’s a way to tell it to execute the ini without having to enter in each command manually.

I’m sure I’m missing something obvious, but I’ve searched around this forum and elsewhere, and haven’t been able to find an example of how to do this.

Can anyone enlighten me?

Mark Pizzolato

Apr 30, 2023, 9:19:03 PM4/30/23
to [PiDP-11]
You can simply invoke a configuration file from the sim> prompt with the DO command:

    sim> DO <config-file-spec>

This may leave details of whatever you previously had in your running configuration configured as it previously was.  This may or may not matter in your case.

Steve Gibson

Apr 30, 2023, 11:13:47 PM4/30/23
to [PiDP-11]
That was it. Thank you!