PiDP-11 Kit

HiQ man

Apr 12, 2023, 12:33:03 AM4/12/23
to [PiDP-11]
Is the Kit easy to build for someone with no soldering experience ?

Tom Lake

Apr 12, 2023, 1:57:50 AM4/12/23
to [PiDP-11]
It's pretty simple as far as kits go but I wouldn't make it my first project. There are simple soldering kits that will give you all the experience you need.
Here's just one example that won't break the bank:

Marco

Apr 12, 2023, 10:20:31 AM4/12/23
to [PiDP-11]
Agreed, get a proper soldering iron and some practice, you'll thank yourself later when you feel you're ready to tackle the PiDP-11 kit.

steve...@gmail.com

Apr 13, 2023, 4:42:24 AM4/13/23
to [PiDP-11]

Another option is to find someone who is willing to build it for you. Some (including me) are willing to build for free. The only "extra" expense would be one additional leg of shipping from the builder to your house.

Tom Lake

Apr 13, 2023, 5:45:48 AM4/13/23
to [PiDP-11]
But you learn so much more about the system if you do it yourself. Plus you get a sense of accomplishment, seeing the kit you built working perfectly.
If you're only interested in the software side of things or you really don't have the time, skill or steady hands to solder, though, having someone build it for you certainly is a safer option.

Todd Goodman

Apr 16, 2023, 7:07:38 AM4/16/23
to pid...@googlegroups.com

My son was able to do it without any prior soldering experience.

I just gave him some tips before he started (like you'd get from any "how to solder" article) and then I let him do it all himself without comment until he got to the point of testing the LEDs and then I had him look over all his soldering for cold solder joints and to reflow those.

I think the switch alignment was the most "angst" he felt about the whole thing (worrying that they might not be lined up perfectly.)

Todd