Noobie Question

Benny G Mooneyhan

Apr 29, 2024, 4:41:10 PMApr 29
to [PiDP-11]
I've only recently started noodling with this stuff, I used 11/34 and 11/70 systems years ago as general purpose computers writing FORTRAN, as well as as the compute resource in digital telephone switches. I have a system up and running on a Pi 3. I can boot various OS's including RSX. What I'm missing is the ability to use programming languages. I read a thread and download the RSX11 image from Johnnie, and finally have it booting, but can't figure out how to run and compilers or interpreters. Is there a thread someone knows of I can dig into?

Thanks in advance for any help.

BuddyM

Johnny Billquist

Apr 29, 2024, 7:03:30 PMApr 29
to pid...@googlegroups.com
Ok. I'll assume you installed the image I created. That means you have a
M+ system up and running, and with networking. There are no languages or
tools installed, except for RPM, TCP/IP and the configuration thing you
used for the initial setup.

However, the point is that RPM is an easy tool for you to then install
whatever you want.

Start with @[RPM]RPM LIST

Then you can install whatever with @[RPM]RPM INSTALL <pkg>

In case you want to pull down updates, just do:

@[RPM]RPM ALL

For more details, see http://mim.stupi.net/rpm.htm

Also, http://mim.stupi.net/manuals/ have all kind of manuals you might
need. But you can ignore the installation manuals, as RPM already gets
you an installed setup with things setup so you just can start
editing/compiling/task building.

Feel free to ask, if there are anything that is unclear.

Johnny

--
Johnny Billquist || "I'm on a bus
|| on a psychedelic trip