RSX image

Johnny Billquist

May 7, 2023, 8:03:00 PM5/7/23
to [PiDP-11]
I figured I could/should post here when I do changes to the RSX
disk/tape image that I've created.

So I did a new cut today.

New stuff:

Kernel have been extended with a function to adjust time gradually,
which NTP will use for smaller changes, making time corrections happen
in a nicer way.

NTPD have been enhanced to be more clever about when and how to apply
time changes, and also make use of the kernel time adjust functionality,
if it exists. If it does not exist, NTPD will just do set time requests
if the time error is large enough.
(Any other recent updates to BQTCP have also been included.)

Added setting up of the spooler queue for network printing. If you look
at queues on the system, LPT queue now exist, and is connected to the
LPT despooler. In order to make the whole thing work, you need to create
a logical name (either in the global table, or the NETUIC group table,
called LPT$PRINTER, and it should contain what protocol to use, and what
address the printer can be found at. Protocols are "ansi", "lpr", "txt"
and "pcl". Ask if you want clarifications on any of these. Address are
just the IP address, or hostname, to use when connecting to the printer.
And the two values are separated by a dash. So, for example, I have a
printer that speaks pcl, and the hostname is just "printer", so my
LPT$PRINTER logical name looks like this:

.dfl lpt$printer/gr=5

(Group 5 Logical Table)

"LPT$PRINTER"
= "pcl-printer"
.

(More information on the use of this logical name, and how to use it in
more advanced ways is documented in the BQTCP documentation.)

Also, some protocols also understand a couple of different forms:
Form 0 - Landscape 132x66
Form 1 - Portrait 80x66
(Form 0 is the default.)

So if you have a text file FOO.TXT you want to print in portrait, you
can just do:

PRINT LPT:/FO:1=FOO.TXT

By default a banner page is also included, but this can be selected to
not appear via switches, and if you want a different default, correct
[1,2]STARTUP.CMD, where the queue is created.

For more information, check the system managers manual on queue operations.

If you want printing to go to the network printer by default, you need
to also assing the PRINT queue to the LPT processor. This can be done
with the command:

QUE LPT:/AS:PRINT

(This could be added in the local startup customization if you always
want this - see below...)

Things this enables: All programs spooling files will result in output
to the printer, programs using the system library function to print will
cause output to the printer, the PRINT command will print on the network
printer and so on. Be careful! I believe I fixed all tools to by default
not spool output, but let me know if I missed any. And don't blame me if
you suddenly are getting lots of pages printed...

I've also made changes to the images to make them more "clean" on
install. Error logs, system logs, and so on are now empty at first boot.

If you want to get these changes onto an existing disk, please note that
you can restore the tape image onto an existing disk. But you need to
create the new system image, and VMR it. I did write an explanation
about this on the document page (but documentation needs to be improve,
I know). Also, after such an upgrade you want, at a minimum, remove the
[0,0]RSX11.SYS file that got restored, since otherwise any accounts you
created will not be there anymore. And error logs and so on might be
something you want to preserve if they contain something you consider
important.

Finally, any local customizations you might want to do should be placed
in LB:[1,2]USERPROG.CMD
This file, if it exists, will be called at boot, as almost the last step
in the startup process. It is not created, or managed in any way by the
images I provide, but will allow anyone to do local customizations that
easily will survive any upgrades.

I hope people will find this useful. As always, send any questions you
have, and I'll try to answer.

Johnny

--
Johnny Billquist || "I'm on a bus
|| on a psychedelic trip
email: b...@softjar.se || Reading murder books

Marco

May 17, 2023, 8:37:49 AM5/17/23
to [PiDP-11]
This week I moved to Johnny's latest tape image as my "production" RSX environment, including hosting "Not just another boring web page". Today I wanted to check if I could indeed update the existing disk with a new release (the same release in this test case, but that shouldn't make a difference).

Following the steps on the document page ("Updating your running system with this image") I found I only needed to do the following to get it working:
  • Before starting, I first checked with version of [0,0]RSX11.SYS was the latest (dir [0,0]RSX11.SYS;*). The update resulted in two newer versions of this file, not one.
  • Follow all steps from the document for updating.
  • Reboot when complete, and login as the SYSTEM user ([1,1]), the password is SYSTEM.
  • Delete all versions of [0,0]RSX11.SYS added by the update (del [0,0]RSX11.SYS;<version number>).
  • Delete the newest version of [RPM]INSTALLED.LST (dir [RPM]INSTALLED.LST;* and del [RPM]INSTALLED.LST;<version number>).
  • @RPM ALL
  • I don't know if this is always necessary, but I had to run @IPCONFIG as a final step to set my IP configuration, enable the web server, etc.
  • Reboot, login with the password(s) you set yourself, and enjoy.
Marco

Johnny Billquist

May 17, 2023, 9:14:51 AM5/17/23
to pid...@googlegroups.com
Marco, thanks for this. Very useful, and I hope it helps others...

On 2023-05-17 14:37, Marco wrote:
> This week I moved to Johnny's latest tape image as my "production" RSX
> environment, including hosting "Not just another boring web page
> <https://pdp11.crouze.com/>". Today I wanted to check if I could indeed
> update the existing disk with a new release (the same release in this
> test case, but that shouldn't make a difference).
>
> Following the steps on the document page ("Updating your running system
> with this image") I found I only needed to do the following to get it
> working:
>
> * Before starting, I first checked with version of [0,0]RSX11.SYS was
> the latest (dir [0,0]RSX11.SYS;*). The update resulted in two newer
> versions of this file, not one.

That was unintentional, but I think I know what I did to make that
happen. I'll fix it.

> * Follow all steps from the document for updating.
> * Reboot when complete, and login as the SYSTEM user ([1,1]), the
> password is SYSTEM.
> * Delete all versions of [0,0]RSX11.SYS added by the update (del
> [0,0]RSX11.SYS;/<version number>/).

You could remove these files before rebooting as well.

> * Delete the newest version of [RPM]INSTALLED.LST (dir
> [RPM]INSTALLED.LST;* and del [RPM]INSTALLED.LST;/<version number>/).

Good point.

> * @RPM ALL
> * I don't know if this is always necessary, but I had to run @IPCONFIG
> as a final step to set my IP configuration, enable the web server, etc.

The IP configuration... Hmm, another good point. This is also included
in the update. You could instead just delete [1,2]IPPARAM.CMD to get rid
of it, and revert back to your previous config.

> * Reboot, login with the password(s) you set yourself, and enjoy.

Indeed.

So at this point, the list of files to clean up after an update is:

LB:[0,0]RSX11.SYS
LB:[RPM]RPM.LST
LB:[1,2]IPPARAM.CMD

Let me know if you can think of any others...

Marco

May 17, 2023, 9:50:24 AM5/17/23
to [PiDP-11]
Johnny,

> * Delete all versions of [0,0]RSX11.SYS added by the update (del
> [0,0]RSX11.SYS;/<version number>/).

You could remove these files before rebooting as well.

I tried, but RSX wouldn't let me because of permissions, before the reboot. Never tried logout and login without the reboot though.

The IP configuration... Hmm, another good point. This is also included
in the update. You could instead just delete [1,2]IPPARAM.CMD to get rid
of it, and revert back to your previous config.

That would indeed be easier to do.

So at this point, the list of files to clean up after an update is:

LB:[0,0]RSX11.SYS
LB:[RPM]RPM.LST
LB:[1,2]IPPARAM.CMD

Surely you mean LB:[RPM]INSTALLED.LST ?

Thanks,
Marco

Johnny Billquist

May 17, 2023, 9:59:13 AM5/17/23
to pid...@googlegroups.com
Marco...

On 2023-05-17 15:50, Marco wrote:
> Johnny,
>

> > * Delete all versions of [0,0]RSX11.SYS added by the update (del
> > [0,0]RSX11.SYS;/<version number>/).
>
> You could remove these files before rebooting as well.
>

> I tried, but RSX wouldn't let me because of permissions, before the
> reboot. Never tried logout and login without the reboot though.

Oh, that is easy. The thing to understand is that file persmissions are
based on your current protection UIC. And if you are on a privileged
terminal, you can change your protection UIC to arbitrary values.

SET /UIC=[1,54]

for example.

Any group # of 10 or less is a privileged UIC, which bascially gives you
the right to access files and directories using the SYSTEM protection,
and also allows you to change the file protection of any file.

> The IP configuration... Hmm, another good point. This is also included
> in the update. You could instead just delete [1,2]IPPARAM.CMD to get
> rid
> of it, and revert back to your previous config.
>

> That would indeed be easier to do.
>
> So at this point, the list of files to clean up after an update is:
>
> LB:[0,0]RSX11.SYS
> LB:[RPM]RPM.LST
> LB:[1,2]IPPARAM.CMD
>

> Surely you mean LB:[RPM]INSTALLED.LST ?

D'oh! Yes.
Although, removing RPM.LST will be harmless. But it don't help anything.

Peter Long

May 17, 2023, 5:38:22 PM5/17/23
to Johnny Billquist, pid...@googlegroups.com

One thing I noticed is that some .PKG files end up with (R,R,R,R)
protection - which makes cleaning up a little more cumbersome.

Any reason why you might not have at least S:RWED ?

Peter
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pidp-11/e633aad5-a172-e785-61db-e8fe304d9112%40softjar.se.

Johnny Billquist

May 17, 2023, 7:10:22 PM5/17/23
to pid...@googlegroups.com
On 2023-05-17 23:38, 'Peter Long' via [PiDP-11] wrote:

> One thing I noticed is that some .PKG files end up with (R,R,R,R)
> protection - which makes cleaning up a little more cumbersome.
>
> Any reason why you might not have at least S:RWED ?

RPM is normally setting (R,R,R,R) on the package that is currently
installed. It should then obviosly not be deleted.
If you uninstall it, the protection should be changed back to something
more permissive.

Johnny

Peter Long

May 17, 2023, 7:35:32 PM5/17/23
to Johnny Billquist, pid...@googlegroups.com

To clarify - when a new version of a package is downloaded - yes
(R,R,R,R) but older versions remain at (R,R,R,R) so before they can be
purged, you have to change the protection - a somewhat tedious but
minor matter
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pidp-11/0e902743-4682-645f-82a7-687b5ac927da%40softjar.se.

Johnny Billquist

May 18, 2023, 5:33:49 AM5/18/23
to pid...@googlegroups.com
On 2023-05-18 01:35, 'Peter Long' via [PiDP-11] wrote:

> To clarify - when a new version of a package is downloaded - yes
> (R,R,R,R) but older versions remain at (R,R,R,R) so before they can be
> purged, you have to change the protection - a somewhat tedious but minor
> matter

That should not be the case. Something must have gone wrong then.
Normally, RPM even purges them for you. And only the current version
which is in use should be protected. When updating or removing, the
protection should be changed.

Johnny Billquist

May 18, 2023, 5:34:39 AM5/18/23
to pid...@googlegroups.com
On 2023-05-18 01:35, 'Peter Long' via [PiDP-11] wrote:

> To clarify - when a new version of a package is downloaded - yes
> (R,R,R,R) but older versions remain at (R,R,R,R) so before they can be
> purged, you have to change the protection - a somewhat tedious but minor
> matter

Oh. But do note: a new version is not installed just because it is
downloaded. You need to also do the update step.

Peter Long

May 18, 2023, 5:43:07 AM5/18/23
to Johnny Billquist, pid...@googlegroups.com
I use @RPM ALL - so download and install

I’ll watch out for the next update and let you know

Peter

Sent from my iPad

> On 18 May 2023, at 7:34 pm, Johnny Billquist <b...@softjar.se> wrote:
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pidp-11/215bc45c-f04b-9c6c-e6f7-de8d61bf4113%40softjar.se.

Mike Kostersitz

Aug 8, 2023, 11:39:12 AM8/8/23
to [PiDP-11]
Hi Johnny,

I am trying this on Ubuntu on ARM64 and I am getting this error
sim> do CONFIG
Disabling XQ
CONFIG> att dz 42,speed=*32
File open error
CONFIG> att xu en0
File open error
CONFIG> set xu throttle
Non-existent parameter

when loading the config file in SIMH.

Any idea?

Mike

Johnny Billquist

Aug 8, 2023, 10:29:51 PM8/8/23
to pid...@googlegroups.com
Hi.

Afraid I don't know offhand. This is something very simh specific. What
version of simh?

Johnny