Compiling C - RSX11

Neal G.

Jul 1, 2024, 1:01:07 PM (3 days ago) Jul 1
to [PiDP-11]
In case anyone else encounters these missing functions when compiling and linking with PDP11 C on RSX using the DCL command interpreter:

$ link chkemt,lb:[1,1]c.olb/lib
LIN -- *DIAG*-3 undefined symbols segment CHKEMT

    C$MAI
    C$SAVR
    C$SVFP

link with the CFPURSX library instead,

$ link chkemt,lb:[1,1]cfpursx.olb/lib

I encountered this while trying the test routine discussed in thread,

- Neal G.

Johnny Billquist

Jul 1, 2024, 1:28:45 PM (3 days ago) Jul 1
to pid...@googlegroups.com
C.OLB? That would be the library for DECUS C, I would suspect.
Completely pointless to link with for the PDP-11 C.

Johnny

--
Johnny Billquist || "I'm on a bus
|| on a psychedelic trip
email: b...@softjar.se || Reading murder books

Ed Groenenberg

Jul 1, 2024, 1:34:05 PM (3 days ago) Jul 1
to Johnny Billquist, pid...@googlegroups.com
Hello.

[1,1]c.olb was used by Whitesmith's C compiler too.

Ed

July 1, 2024 7:28 PM, "Johnny Billquist" <b...@softjar.se> wrote:

> C.OLB? That would be the library for DECUS C, I would suspect. Completely pointless to link with
> for the PDP-11 C.
>
> Johnny
>
> On 2024-07-01 19:01, Neal G. wrote:
>
>> In case anyone else encounters these missing functions when compiling > and linking with PDP11 C on
>> RSX using the DCL command interpreter:
>> $ link chkemt,lb:[1,1]c.olb/lib
>> LIN -- *DIAG*-3 undefined symbols segment CHKEMT
>> C$MAI
>> C$SAVR
>> C$SVFP
>> link with the CFPURSX library instead,
>> $ link chkemt,lb:[1,1]cfpursx.olb/lib
>> I encountered this while trying the test routine discussed in thread,
>> https://groups.google.com/g/pidp-11/c/h4IQtVtq_BI
>> - Neal G.
>> -- > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google > Groups "[PiDP-11]" group.
>> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send > an email to
>> pidp-11+u...@googlegroups.com > <pidp-11+u...@googlegroups.com>.
>> To view this discussion on the web visit >
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pidp-11/4bdf89bc-16ca-4ef9...@googlegroups.com
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pidp-11/4bdf89bc-16ca-4ef9...@googlegroups.com?ut
>> _medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
>
> -- Johnny Billquist || "I'm on a bus
> || on a psychedelic trip
> email: b...@softjar.se || Reading murder books
> pdp is alive! || tryin' to stay hip" - B. Idol
>
> -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "[PiDP-11]" group.
> pidp-11+u...@googlegroups.com.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pidp-11/e8fd2931-7fba-405a...@softjar.se.

Johnny Billquist

Jul 1, 2024, 2:01:26 PM (3 days ago) Jul 1
to Ed Groenenberg, pid...@googlegroups.com
Which would then also need to be dealt with in some way in case you have
both DECUS C and Whitesmith installed.

And while I'm at it - the PDP-11 C compiler by default only includes
functionality that allows access to devices. So you can do I/O to
terminals, but not to files. This can be made into quite a topic on its
own. But the most simple point is that in order to access files using
FCS, you need to link like this:

LINK CHKEMT,LB:[1,1]CFPURSX/INC:$PFCXF,LB:[1,1]CFPURSX/LIB

Johnny
Message has been deleted