PiDP-11 RSX11M/PLUS install Pascal Compiler

stephan küppers

Jun 6, 2024, 2:09:21 PMJun 6
to [PiDP-11]
Hello!
I have downloaded a DECUS-PDP 11-Pascal.zip compiler and want to install it in my PiDP-11/RSX11Mplus. I have search around, but could not find any usefull information for install this package into my system.
Can someone give me information abbout this or can someone show me a usefull manual?
Best regards
Stephan Kueppers

Johnny Billquist

Jun 6, 2024, 4:35:02 PMJun 6
to pid...@googlegroups.com
Hi.
A couple of things:
1. I would really recommend you instead grab my PiDP RSX system image
and use that one.
2. If you do, there is a package manager included, with which you can
install the Oregon Pascal compiler, which is better than the DEC one.
3. RSX manuals can usually be found at
http://mim.stupi.net/manuals/LAYERED/, however the DEC Pascal compiler
is not in there.
4. DEC had a pretty standardized system for installing layered products,
so if you look at the F77 Installation manual instead, it should give
you a good idea on how to use AUTOIN, which is the DEC installation tool
for layered products, and which is also used for the DEC Pascal compiler.
5. The layered products distributions are not "packages", but
installation sets that you need to go through some installation steps
and answer various questions for. It's not always straight forward to
answer those questions if you are not familiar with RSX. So the
distrubutions can prove to be challenging to people, even if they have
manuals.

To summarize: I really recommend you instead grab my RSX image, and
install things using the package manager included.

http://mim.stupi.net/pidp.htm
http://mim.stupi.net/rpm.htm
http://mim.stupi.net/manuals/

Johnny

--
Johnny Billquist || "I'm on a bus
|| on a psychedelic trip
email: b...@softjar.se || Reading murder books

Peter Whisker

Jun 7, 2024, 1:44:23 AMJun 7
to Johnny Billquist, [PiDP-11]
I worked on the project at Logica to build the new London Underground ticketing system in the 1980s. The powers-that-be said we should use DEC Pascal on RSX-11M 3.2. It was truly awful. The compiler frequently generated invalid object code and if you got it to produce the assembler listing it was also wrong and even differed from it's object code too.

We were forced to abandon DEC Pascal and rewrote what we had coded plus the rest of the system in RTL/2 which we absolutely knew worked from our experience on developing BBC CEEFAX. I wrote a text processor to make the straightforward changes to the source code to reduce the manual editing.

Best wishes
Peter Whisker

stephan küppers

Jun 7, 2024, 3:14:02 AMJun 7
to [PiDP-11]
Hello Jonny!
Thank you for your answer, but what do you mean with "your RSX"? I have installed different RSX-Systems, which do you mean?
Stephan

Johnny Billquist

Jun 7, 2024, 5:31:59 AMJun 7
to Peter Whisker, [PiDP-11]
Cool.

And just as a small note - RTL/2 also exists as a package that can be
installed... ;-)

But if someone really wants Pascal, then I'd definitely recommend going
with the Oregon Pascal compiler.

Johnny
> <http://mim.stupi.net/manuals/LAYERED/>, however the DEC Pascal
> compiler
> is not in there.
> 4. DEC had a pretty standardized system for installing layered
> products,
> so if you look at the F77 Installation manual instead, it should give
> you a good idea on how to use AUTOIN, which is the DEC installation
> tool
> for layered products, and which is also used for the DEC Pascal
> compiler.
> 5. The layered products distributions are not "packages", but
> installation sets that you need to go through some installation steps
> and answer various questions for. It's not always straight forward to
> answer those questions if you are not familiar with RSX. So the
> distrubutions can prove to be challenging to people, even if they have
> manuals.
>
> To summarize: I really recommend you instead grab my RSX image, and
> install things using the package manager included.

> http://mim.stupi.net/pidp.htm <http://mim.stupi.net/pidp.htm>
> http://mim.stupi.net/rpm.htm <http://mim.stupi.net/rpm.htm>
> http://mim.stupi.net/manuals/ <http://mim.stupi.net/manuals/>
>
>    Johnny
>
> --
> Johnny Billquist                  || "I'm on a bus
>                                    ||  on a psychedelic trip
> email: b...@softjar.se <mailto:b...@softjar.se>             ||
> Reading murder books
> pdp is alive!                    ||  tryin' to stay hip" - B. Idol
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pidp-11/91a20d9a-94ef-4b4c-be88-7d7a18228747%40softjar.se <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pidp-11/91a20d9a-94ef-4b4c-be88-7d7a18228747%40softjar.se>.

Johnny Billquist

Jun 7, 2024, 5:35:19 AMJun 7
to pid...@googlegroups.com
The links I provided at the bottom really should give you all the
information, so I suggest you check them out.

But to give a brief answer, "my RSX" system is basically a prebuilt RSX
system with lots of patches and fixes that you can't find otherwise, and
also comes with TCP/IP and DECnet already installed, and you just have
to answer a bunch of questions at the first boot that will configure
things to match what you want, and then you are all set. And it also
includes the RSX package manager that I've written, which allows you to
install a whole bunch of things easily.

Johnny