Software search

Bradford Miller

Jun 12, 2024, 12:06:29 PMJun 12
to PiDP-10
Anyone know if there’s a version of micro-planner lurking somewhere? Google didn’t find any references other than to SHRLDU, but we’ve only got the demo AFAICT (I’m not interested in the later rewrite, but the original in Maclisp/assembler as used for Winograd’s thesis: his page at Stanford seems to be gone at this point).

I’m also interested in any implementation of CONNIVER (Sussman).

I’m glad to see MDL is present, anyway!

oscarv

Jun 12, 2024, 2:51:59 PMJun 12
to PiDP-10
This page had the most information I've been able to find - it seems there is little hope on finding micro-planner.

And if I understood Lars correctly, you'd still need to apply some manual patches to the interactive Shrdlu before it would run - Winograd said he had forgotten what he actually did.

Kind regards,

Oscar.

Eric Swenson

Jun 12, 2024, 4:07:07 PMJun 12
to Bradford Miller, PiDP-10
I do have sources for micro-planner, but haven’t gotten it to work yet — at least typing examples from AIM 203 (Micro-Planner Reference Manual) result in errors.

For example:

lisp↑K

LISP 2156
Alloc? n

*
(load '((shrdlu) plnr >))
(thassert (human turing))
;HUMAN ILLEGAL DATUM - CAR

(HUMAN TURING)
>>>  IMPURE ASSERTION OR ERASURE - THASS1
LISTENING
;THLEVEL UNBOUND VARIABLE

;BKPT UNBND-VRBL

I suspect there was a change in the dialect at some point, and the micro-planner sources don’t match AIM 203 exactly.  I suspect that someone who wanted to get this working could figure out how to do so.  I haven’t had the time.

— Eric

Eric Swenson

Jun 12, 2024, 4:18:18 PMJun 12
to Bradford Miller, PiDP-10
Well, I played around a little more and have micro-planner working for the first example in AIM 203:

MICRO-PLANNER 180
>>>  TOP LEVEL
LISTENING  THVAL
(THASSERT (HUMAN TURING))
==> ((HUMAN TURING))
(DEFPROP THEOREM (THCONSE (X) (FALLIBLE $?X) (THGOAL (HUMAN $?X))) THEOREM)
==> THEOREM
(THASSERT THEOREM)
==> THEOREM
(THGOAL (FALLIBLE TURING) (THTBF THTRUE))
==> (FALLIBLE TURING)

The lines beginning with ==> are output from the previous entered expression.

So I suspect I do have a working version.

— Eric