Kit has arrived!

Brian Denley

Jun 29, 2024, 12:00:53 PM (5 days ago) Jun 29
to PiDP-10
My PiDP-10 kit arrived today (fast shipping!). Kit was well packaged. The case is very nice! Huge bag of switches!

Said goodbye to the wife for a while.

Brian

Brian Denley
KB1VBF
Sent from my iPad

Brian Denley

Jun 30, 2024, 8:09:46 PM (4 days ago) Jun 30
to Whit Turner, PiDP-10
Resistors and diodes all soldered in place.  Sockets and LEDs tomorrow. No issues so far.
Brian

Brian Denley
KB1VBF
Sent from my iPad

On Jun 29, 2024, at 6:07 PM, Whit Turner <james.t...@gmail.com> wrote:

Haha. I try to limit my disappearances to an hour or so at a time :-). Two days in and have gotten up to the preliminary testing. All lights are a blinkin.

Whit

Whit Turner

Jul 1, 2024, 12:59:16 PM (3 days ago) Jul 1
to PiDP-10
I finished my kit yesterday. Oscar's instructions were great! (not exactly a HeathKit, but easy to follow).

I wrote up some of my impressions during the build on my hobby website. There may be a few tips that are helpful to others:

Cheers

Whit

DR

Jul 1, 2024, 1:44:07 PM (3 days ago) Jul 1
to pid...@googlegroups.com
The nice thing is sharing ideas and the excellent pictures and
descriptive text helps.

I had tested each LED individually before I read this helpful guide, but
there are more helps from this writeup to assist with the rest of the
assembly.

Thank you.

Sharing is good.  Some feel offended by making simple explanations but
others with less experience (than assembling a Cray-2 from memory) will
be reassured that they too can do it.

Heinz-Bernd Eggenstein

Jul 1, 2024, 9:20:48 PM (2 days ago) Jul 1
to PiDP-10
Nice documentation of your build! I second the recommendation about using nylon washers in certain places, I'm not a 100% sure that is necessary but it certainly "feels" so right when you assemble the kit.

Brian Denley

Jul 1, 2024, 10:51:46 PM (2 days ago) Jul 1
to Whit Turner, PiDP-10
I put all the LEDs in place but that black plate with the matching holes doesn’t sit very well on top of the LEDs especially in the center.  I’m not really satisfied enough to solder yet.  I’ll keep looking at the problem.  Anyone else have the same issue?  Any tricks?
Brian

Brian Denley
KB1VBF
Sent from my iPad

On Jun 30, 2024, at 8:10 PM, Brian Denley <b.de...@comcast.net> wrote:

Resistors and diodes all soldered in place.  Sockets and LEDs tomorrow. No issues so far.

Steven A. Falco

Jul 2, 2024, 9:12:49 AM (2 days ago) Jul 2
to pid...@googlegroups.com
Very nice writeup. Obviously a lot of time went into creating it.

I think the large screws used to mount the PCBs into the case and to join the base to the bezel are actually Pozidriv screws - not Phillips. You can tell, because the Pozidriv screws have four tiny lines on the head. Here is a good article on the topic, and it shows the tiny lines very well: https://shop4fasteners.co.uk/blog/pozidriv-vs-phillips/

It's hard to photograph with my cell-phone but the attached picture highlights one of the lines. I happen to have a set of Pozidriv screwdrivers and they definitely fit these screws better than Phillips screwdrivers.

If you don't have one, no worries - a Phillips will work. Just be careful not to let it slip off. Maybe someday Torx screws will take over the world and slipping screwdrivers will be a thing of the past. :-)

Steve

On 7/1/24 09:20 PM, 'Heinz-Bernd Eggenstein' via PiDP-10 wrote:
> Nice documentation of your build! I second the recommendation about using nylon washers in certain places, I'm not a 100% sure that is necessary but it certainly "feels" so right when you assemble the kit.
>
> james.t...@gmail.com schrieb am Montag, 1. Juli 2024 um 18:59:16 UTC+2:
>
> I finished my kit yesterday. Oscar's instructions were great! (not exactly a HeathKit, but easy to follow).
>
> I wrote up some of my impressions during the build on my hobby website. There may be a few tips that are helpful to others:
>
> https://www.jwtaudio.com/other-interests/retro-computing/building-the-pidp-10 <https://www.jwtaudio.com/other-interests/retro-computing/building-the-pidp-10>
>
> Cheers
>
> Whit
>

> On Sunday, June 30, 2024 at 8:09:46 PM UTC-4 briandenley wrote:
>
> Resistors and diodes all soldered in place.  Sockets and LEDs tomorrow. No issues so far.
> Brian
>
> Brian Denley
> KB1VBF
> Sent from my iPad
>
>> On Jun 29, 2024, at 6:07 PM, Whit Turner <james.t...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> Haha. I try to limit my disappearances to an hour or so at a time :-). Two days in and have gotten up to the preliminary testing. All lights are a blinkin.
>>
>> Whit
>>

>> On Sat, Jun 29, 2024 at 12:00 PM Brian Denley <b.de...@comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>> My PiDP-10 kit arrived today (fast shipping!).  Kit was well packaged.  The case is very nice!  Huge bag of switches!
>>
>> Said goodbye to the wife for a while.
>>
>> Brian
>>
>> Brian Denley
>> KB1VBF
>> Sent from my iPad
>>
>> --
>>
> --
20240702_090006.jpg

Adam Thornton

Jul 2, 2024, 12:02:58 PM (2 days ago) Jul 2
to PiDP-10
I ended up getting them all in the holes the right way, and then individually going back and heating the legs while pressing on the lamp with my finger to make sure they slid all the way down to the board.  The plate has a lot of flex, but it will be much less when inside the case.  I did not find it very useful as a guide, but if you have all the LEDs flush it will work out OK..

Steven Hirsch

Jul 2, 2024, 12:03:33 PM (2 days ago) Jul 2
to PiDP-10
Mine rolled in today :-)

Phillip Porch, MD

Jul 2, 2024, 5:58:16 PM (2 days ago) Jul 2
to Brian Denley, PiDP-10
I’m waiting on UPS to deliver mine. I’m so pumped.

Phillip Porch, MD

> On Jun 29, 2024, at 11:00 AM, Brian Denley <b.de...@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> My PiDP-10 kit arrived today (fast shipping!). Kit was well packaged. The case is very nice! Huge bag of switches!

David Betz

Jul 2, 2024, 5:58:25 PM (2 days ago) Jul 2
to Steven Hirsch, PiDP-10
Mine arrived too. Thank you Oscar and team!

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 2, 2024, at 12:03 PM, Steven Hirsch <snhi...@gmail.com> wrote:

Mine rolled in today :-)

Whit Turner

Jul 2, 2024, 5:58:25 PM (2 days ago) Jul 2
to Brian Denley, PiDP-10
As Oscar mentions the LED guide will only press down far enough to let the tops of the LEDs to poke up by a couple on millimeters. I pressed it down firmly the covered all the tops of the LEDs with wide painters tape. The turned it over on a flat surface and soldered one lead of each. Then I checked to see if they were all flush to the board. I had a couple that were not, so I reheated while pressing down. Then I soldered the remaining leads.

Phillip Porch, MD

Jul 2, 2024, 7:57:37 PM (2 days ago) Jul 2
to David Betz, Steven Hirsch, PiDP-10
I just completed kit number 352 and it is alive and kicking.

Phillip Porch, MD