Source for rpdp binaries?

Steven Hirsch

Jun 22, 2024, 7:58:58 PM (7 days ago) Jun 22
to PiDP-10
Getting ahead of the curve here by running ITS standalone on a Pi 5.  Much to my dismay, the rpdp tools (vt52, tvcon, etc) were linked against a newer version of libc and libm than exists on my Ubuntu 18.04 install.  Are the sources for these available?  If so, where?  I'd like to build for my environment.

Steven A. Falco

Jun 22, 2024, 8:04:22 PM (7 days ago) Jun 22
to pid...@googlegroups.com
On 6/22/24 07:58 PM, Steven Hirsch wrote:
> Getting ahead of the curve here by running ITS standalone on a Pi 5.  Much to my dismay, the rpdp tools (vt52, tvcon, etc) were linked against a newer version of libc and libm than exists on my Ubuntu 18.04 install.  Are the sources for these available?  If so, where?  I'd like to build for my environment.

Oscar's software repository has them, assuming you answer "yes" to install the source. Source will wind up in /opt/pidp10/src/its/tools.

I believe his software derives from this project: https://github.com/PDP-10/its.git which also has the source.

Steve

Steven Hirsch

Jun 23, 2024, 11:45:25 AM (6 days ago) Jun 23
to PiDP-10
Thanks for the input!  I was able to recompile everything for my system, but the 'sty' (aka 'con') application quits on its own immediately after the window appears.  Looks like it starts the telnet process first and never completes.  No debugging messages, unfortunately.  Still, having the other ones working is quite helpful.

Steven A. Falco

Jun 23, 2024, 2:21:39 PM (6 days ago) Jun 23
to pid...@googlegroups.com
On 6/23/24 11:45 AM, Steven Hirsch wrote:
> Thanks for the input!  I was able to recompile everything for my system, but the 'sty' (aka 'con') application quits on its own immediately after the window appears.  Looks like it starts the telnet process first and never completes.  No debugging messages, unfortunately.  Still, having the other ones working is quite helpful.

I'm not sure if this is your problem, but sty uses a special font. I launch sty on my Fedora desktop via a shell script (attached). I placed the script in ~/bin, and the actual executable in ~/bin/pidp10. (The SERVER variable must be changed to match the name or IP of your Pi.)

The font is available in /opt/pidp10/install/TELETYPE1945-1985.ttf on the Pi, and I put a copy in ~/.fonts on my Fedora machine because that dir is searched for fonts.

Steve
sty

Steven Hirsch

Jun 23, 2024, 3:09:12 PM (6 days ago) Jun 23
to PiDP-10
Unfortunately that's not the issue.  I added the font and it still crashes.  I can see it typing out "Trying 192.168.245" before disappearing.  It appears in a teletype font and the address is correct to that point.  Odd.

Steven Hirsch

Jun 23, 2024, 3:50:33 PM (6 days ago) Jun 23
to PiDP-10
Figured out the problem. I was logged into the system console on the Pi at the time I tried sty.  Since only one console TTY is allowed, telnet to port 1025 from my desktop fails.  Unfortunately, the sty window doesn't persist long enough to display the "All connections busy" message.  After closing the Pi console it works fine.

I also discovered that the sound WAV files want to be available at: /opt/pidp10/bin/sounds.

Heinz-Bernd Eggenstein

Jun 23, 2024, 5:24:29 PM (6 days ago) Jun 23
to PiDP-10
Steve, thanks for mentioning the fonts problem!!

On my Linux system, it will actually fall back to some other font (that looks weird) unless you download the TELETYPE font from the Pi installation!
Now it looks (and sounds) perfect!

Cheers
HB

Steven Hirsch

Jun 23, 2024, 7:49:27 PM (6 days ago) Jun 23
to 'Heinz-Bernd Eggenstein' via PiDP-10
On Sun, 23 Jun 2024, 'Heinz-Bernd Eggenstein' via PiDP-10 wrote:

> Steve, thanks for mentioning the fonts problem!!

> On my Linux system, it will actually fall back to some other font (that
> looks weird) unless you download the TELETYPE font from the Pi
> installation! Now it looks (and sounds) perfect!

I'm going to take a quick look at the sty sources and see if there's a way
to keep it open after the child program fails. Maybe put an "Ok" button
to let it exit at the user's discretion.