swrast?

Adam Thornton

Jun 1, 2024, 8:26:03 PMJun 1
to pid...@googlegroups.com
So I finally started trying to play with the graphical bits of ITS.

But I don't have a monitor connected to the PiDP-10.

That's fine, I have XQuartz on my laptop.

Only it's not.

(in an X session)

adam@pidp10:/opt/pidp10/bin $ ./tvcon -2BS localhost
libGL error: No matching fbConfigs or visuals found
libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast
X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)
  Major opcode of failed request:  149 (GLX)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  3 (X_GLXCreateContext)
  Value in failed request:  0x0
  Serial number of failed request:  154
  Current serial number in output stream:  155

I've got libgl1-mesa-dri and libglx-mesa0 installed:

libgl1-mesa-dri/stable,now 23.2.1-1~bpo12+rpt3 arm64 [installed]
  free implementation of the OpenGL API -- DRI modules
libglx-dev/stable,now 1.6.0-1 arm64 [installed,automatic]
  Vendor neutral GL dispatch library -- GLX development files
libglx-mesa0/stable,now 23.2.1-1~bpo12+rpt3 arm64 [installed,automatic]
  free implementation of the OpenGL API -- GLX vendor library

Is this the thing where I need to be actually rendering to something, rather than a framebuffer?  Do I need to go get one of those HDMI dummy plugs?

Adam Thornton

Jun 3, 2024, 5:30:08 PMJun 3
to PiDP-10
OK, so this is at least mostly: "It's not just any X server, you have to be running (apparently) X on 64-bit Linux."

Like, it generally works on an amd64 laptop running Debian Bookworm.  It fails on an i386 laptop running ... some earlier Debian or Ubuntu, not with the swrast stuff but (with ssh -X or -Y something about screwed up auth, if I just xhost+ I just get blank window frames).  MacOS/XQuartz fails as described above.

I'm about to try compiling tvcon on x64 and on Mac and seeing if anything changes if I connect directly to the terminal port rather than sshing into the pidp10 with DISPLAY set correctly.

Adam