M.2 for Pi-5

Michael Wyrick

Jun 8, 2024, 7:48:36 PMJun 8
to PiDP-10
I did not use an SD card for this but instead used an M.2 drive on the Pi 5.  This makes it so that a full rebuild of ITS can be done on the Pi,  with an SD card it would always time out on the build.  This board moves the pi 5 away from the led board so no need for cardboard on the pcb.  As a bonus, the stand offs on the back move the protective pcb away from the pi enough that the stock fan/heatsink fits without having to drill holes.

This board does not support full length SSD drives.  See the link for the size that fit.  There is also a version that will mount to the back of the Pi that does take full size M.2 drives but this one came with the pass-thru riser for the GPIO pins.
Screenshot 2024-06-08 191713.png

Michael Wyrick

Jun 8, 2024, 7:54:59 PMJun 8
to PiDP-10
PXL_20240608_230452577_small.jpgPXL_20240608_230530611_small.jpg

pbi...@gmail.com

Jun 9, 2024, 3:08:42 AMJun 9
to PiDP-10
Thanks for the information.  The product link is:

For reference the ad there states "compatible with 2230/2242 size M.2 solid state drive" and "supports Gen2 and Gen3 modes".

Jorge Amodio

pbi...@gmail.com

Jun 9, 2024, 4:45:58 AMJun 9
to PiDP-10

Tom Hunter

Jun 9, 2024, 9:35:54 AMJun 9
to PiDP-10
This looks like it would be a nice addition to the Pi 5 based PiDP-10 but also for general purpose Pi 5 use.
I think 128 GB would be more than enough, but apparently not all M.2 (2230 or 2242) drives are suitable with this adapter and the Pi 5..
Could you please let me know what affordable SSD to buy.
Thanks
Tom

Steven A. Falco

Jun 9, 2024, 11:15:49 AMJun 9
to pid...@googlegroups.com
On 6/9/24 09:35 AM, Tom Hunter wrote:
> This looks like it would be a nice addition to the Pi 5 based PiDP-10 but also for general purpose Pi 5 use.
> I think 128 GB would be more than enough, but apparently not all M.2 (2230 or 2242) drives are suitable with this adapter and the Pi 5..
> Could you please let me know what affordable SSD to buy.

I used a Pimoroni NVMe Base with a Western Digital 2280 2-GB drive. I like this base because it mounts under the Pi5 and can take a full-size 2280 drive. I installed the PiDP-10 decorative cover, even though it is not strictly needed with the Pimoroni Base. No drilling required.

By the way, Pimoroni sells longer NVMe cables - that let me use longer spacers, which may help with cooling of the NVMe drive.

WD Drive: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09QV5KJHV $140
Pimoroni Base: https://www.adafruit.com/product/5845 $20
NVMe Cable: https://www.adafruit.com/product/5931 $2

You can certainly use a less expensive drive, since the base can handle the much more common 2280 size drives.
I have also tried a 500 GB drive that works well: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09HKG6SDF $36

Steve

20240609_102445.jpg

Steven A. Falco

Jun 9, 2024, 2:29:31 PMJun 9
to pid...@googlegroups.com
A typo was pointed out to me - instead of 2 GB, I meant to say 2 TB! I guess my mind is in PDP-10 land where 2 GB would be a huge disk. :-)

Steve

DR

Jun 13, 2024, 8:13:52 PMJun 13
to pid...@googlegroups.com
If I have an SD card up with the configuration and software I want on
it, are there some guides or instructions on how to move the image on
the SD to the new SSD, and then make the Pi boot from the SSD?

I thought I saw something about this on the Rasp OS page, but cannot
find what I was looking for now.

Thx.

Steven A. Falco

Jun 14, 2024, 6:55:53 AMJun 14
to pid...@googlegroups.com
On 6/13/24 08:13 PM, DR wrote:
> If I have an SD card up with the configuration and software I want on it, are there some guides or instructions on how to move the image on the SD to the new SSD, and then make the Pi boot from the SSD?
>

> I thought I saw something about this on the Rasp OS page, but cannot find what I was looking for now.

There is a tool for that. Open the Raspberry menu (upper left icon), and under Accessories you will find "SD Card Copier". Fill in the source and destination and it will do the rest.

Generally, you should click the "New Partition UUIDs" box because that will prevent confusing the OS with "duplicated UUID problems".

As to which device to boot from, the simplest thing is to just remove the SD card. Also, you may find this thread helpful: https://forums.raspberrypi.com/viewtopic.php?t=366106

For me, with the Pimoroni NVMe base, here is the command I used to change the boot order:

rpi-eeprom-config --edit

I used that tool to set the boot order to 0xf416. That means "first try nvme, then sd, then usb, then repeat ad nauseam".

Steve

DR

Jun 14, 2024, 9:18:38 AMJun 14
to pid...@googlegroups.com
Thank you all for the help you've given.  Dale

Heinz-Bernd Eggenstein

Jun 15, 2024, 2:21:58 PM (14 days ago) Jun 15
to PiDP-10
BTW, there is also something else you could plug into a M.2 board on a Pi 5 sitting on the back of a PiDP-10... in style: https://www.raspberrypi.com/documentation/accessories/ai-kit.html

I don't think it uses any other GPIO pins than those used for HAT identification & configuration (which are not used by the PiDP-10) , so there hopefully is no conflict. You could run the SHRDLU demo from the AI lab at the same time as modern day AI doing real-time object recognition in a live video stream with the help of this (marketing speak ahead) 13 tera-operations per second hardware accelerator.

Cheers
HB

Mitchell Wolrich

Jun 16, 2024, 3:33:43 PM (13 days ago) Jun 16
to PiDP-10
That AI kit above uses the "official" raspberry Pi M.2 HAT+", has anyone tested it on the Pi5 and the PiDP10?

I am concerned the "extra long" header pins won't be long enough to pass through the NVMe board, and into the header on the PiDP-10 LED board..  Here's a link from Adafruit, which seems to have the best price at $10 (of course there is shipping as well)

Steve Falco

Jun 16, 2024, 4:04:04 PM (13 days ago) Jun 16
to PiDP-10
Looking at the second photo from the left on the Adafruit web site, the pins don't stick up at all on that module, so there would be no way to plug into the PiDP-10, unless you find a really tall adapter to use instead of the one that comes with the module.

John Kline

Jun 16, 2024, 4:09:26 PM (13 days ago) Jun 16
to Steve Falco, PiDP-10
You would have to not push the stacking header down the whole way.  I’m using this ststacking header—
which you can push down the whole way—with the M.2 Hat+ and a GPS hat on top of it.

Note: I haven’t yet build my PiDP-10.

On Jun 16, 2024, at 1:04 PM, Steve Falco <steve...@gmail.com> wrote:

Looking at the second photo from the left on the Adafruit web site, the pins don't stick up at all on that module, so there would be no way to plug into the PiDP-10, unless you find a really tall adapter to use instead of the one that comes with the module.

Mitchell Wolrich

Jun 16, 2024, 4:17:02 PM (13 days ago) Jun 16
to John Kline, Steve Falco, PiDP-10
The M.2 Hat+ comes with a 16mm stacking header, the one you show and I also found states it is a 23mm stacking header, however, it looks like the male pins might not be any longer, and that the body (female) portion is the additional 7mm, that's why I was wondering if anyone had actually installed it yet.  Let us know if it works.  Thanks.  Mitch

John Kline

Jun 16, 2024, 4:42:17 PM (13 days ago) Jun 16
to Mitchell Wolrich, Steve Falco, PiDP-10
Yes, I know the pins are the same height.  But the overall height is greater.  As such, you can fully insert the stacking header on the Pi.  Please note: I *am* using this and attaching another hat on top of it.  It’s kinda the same as using it on the PiDP-10, no?

On Sun, Jun 16, 2024 at 4:09 PM 'John Kline' via PiDP-10 <pid...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
You would have to not push the stacking header down the whole way.  I’m using this ststacking header—

Heinz-Bernd Eggenstein

Jun 17, 2024, 4:23:55 AM (12 days ago) Jun 17
to PiDP-10
The stacking header that comes with the AI kit is definitely too short to do actual "stacking" of hats, and I'm a bit perplexed why the good people at Raspberry Pi included that header and not a longer version like the extra-tall one shown above. The   M.2 Hat+ can only work with the Pi5, and you want to leave space for the heat-sink and fan, so the ca 10 or 11mm spacers that they include make total sense, but then the stacking header should also have a "base" (the socket part) that is exactly that high, plus pins with adequate lengths. I ordered some extra tall stacking header and will test the AI kit with the PiDP-10 when it arrives in a few days.

I did check the schematics of the M.2 Hat+ and as expected, the only pins from the 40 pin header that it uses are the power and GND rails and the two pins for the HAT EEPROM interface. So in theory it should all work....we will see.

Heinz-Bernd Eggenstein

Jun 17, 2024, 6:19:06 AM (12 days ago) Jun 17
to PiDP-10
correction: the nylon spacer that is included with the M.2HAT+ (and therefore with the AI kit) to go between the Pi and hat PCB is ca 16mm tall (not 10mm). The base of the Raspi 40 pin header is about 2.5 mm (1/10 "?) tall, so the stacking header base would ideally be ca 13.5 mm tall plus ca 12 mm of pin, so a perfect total height from base to pin head would be an inch or so.

Heinz-Bernd Eggenstein

Jun 20, 2024, 6:16:29 PM (9 days ago) Jun 20
to PiDP-10
so with an extra-tall stacking header, installing the Raspi AI kit was no problem.

I guess this is the most stylish panel for the AI kit in a Raspi...

hb
IMG_20240620_235808_small.jpg