In the news

Lars Brinkhoff

Mar 14, 2024, 2:24:27 PMMar 14
to PiDP-10

Lars Brinkhoff

Mar 16, 2024, 2:25:41 PMMar 16
to PiDP-10

johntk...@gmail.com

Mar 18, 2024, 12:26:47 PMMar 18
to PiDP-10

Lars Brinkhoff

Mar 27, 2024, 10:19:11 AMMar 27
to PiDP-10
Oscar interviewed by Tom's Hardware.

Ken Hansen

Mar 27, 2024, 1:12:27 PMMar 27
to PiDP-10
I remember running ELIZA on home PCs in the late 70s and early 80s, is the version of ELIZA they ran on the PDP-10 significantly 'bigger' than those old BASIC copies?

As a side note, I wouldn't consider ELIZA anything more than a simulation of AI - it was little more than an English language parser, but that's a different debate for another time...

johntk...@gmail.com

Mar 27, 2024, 1:34:44 PMMar 27
to PiDP-10
That is NOT how Oscar looks in my imagination!
Where is the long grey beard? The white lab coat?

Henk Gooijen

Mar 28, 2024, 4:44:52 AMMar 28
to PiDP-10
Well, I am missing the pipe. Or maybe Oscar stopped smoking?
All kidding aside, it was a great interview. Oscar touched history just a little, there is so much more to tell.
The some 45 minutes flew by, Oscar could easily speak for hours!  And I would listen ...

Bradford Miller

Apr 3, 2024, 12:15:54 AMApr 3
to Henk Gooijen, PiDP-10
I agree: it was a great interview and very informative!

As for imagined appearances, I thought Lars would be the one with a long grey beard with a flannel shirt (not a lab coat); more MIT AI hacker than IBM systems operator in other words.

Oscar I always imagined as Volund: leather apron, large two-handed blacksmith hammer, tongs, scruffy black beard.

oscarv

Apr 3, 2024, 2:57:24 PMApr 3
to PiDP-10
I will have a beard soon though, forgot the razor on my US trip.

But it was nice that the Pi Podcast did that session. I always forget how niche this hobby really is, and how far away from most people's world this is. And the strange thing is, there's a steady inflow of people who discover computer history, replicas etc, every month. It's not the case that everybody who has an interest already knows what is out there, in terms of simh, PiDPs, etc.

So some mainstream publicity on Hacker News etc is always very welcome.

But!
It seems that the Guardian in the UK is going to do an article about gaming on the PDP-10 (and 1, and Whirlwind). That is about as mainstream as it gets. They have a pretty good journalist on computing and gaming. So that will bring some more people into, er, Computer History Capsules :-)
I hope that some Youtubers will also pick up the scent. We tried to make some Youtube movies, but that's a whole skill set in and of itself...

Kind regards,

Oscar.

Lars Brinkhoff

Apr 25, 2024, 2:30:55 PMApr 25
to PiDP-10

Anthony Cunningham

Jun 6, 2024, 8:03:08 AMJun 6
to PiDP-10
On Wednesday, April 3, 2024 at 7:57:24 PM UTC+1 oscarv wrote:
It seems that the Guardian in the UK is going to do an article about gaming on the PDP-10 (and 1, and Whirlwind). That is about as mainstream as it gets. They have a pretty good journalist on computing and gaming. So that will bring some more people into, er, Computer History Capsules :-)

I woul quibble with some of the terminology but overall it seems to be a pretty good article.

Tony

Lars Brinkhoff

Jun 6, 2024, 9:00:00 AMJun 6
to PiDP-10

I woul[d] quibble with some of the terminology but overall it seems to be a pretty good article.

Oscar and I have been corresponding with Keith over the past few week, trying to transfer as much information as possible to the poor journalist.  Yes, I think it me out ok.

DR

Jun 6, 2024, 9:04:15 AMJun 6
to pid...@googlegroups.com
Excellent. Even though I've been a fan since the first kit I got from
Oscar ( the -8) this article held more information and in a different
telling.

Very nice work!

Lars Brinkhoff

Jun 11, 2024, 8:56:59 AMJun 11
to PiDP-10

Ric Werme

Jun 12, 2024, 9:13:44 AMJun 12
to PiDP-10
Another: https://www.facebook.com/groups/internetoldfarts/posts/1002634161383802/

A good group to join while waiting for a kit to arrive.  And they could use some PDP-10 old farts to counter the folks who think using a BBS qualifies them as an Internet fart.  :-)