Re: [picrust-users] Picrust 2 and metatranscriptomics

Gavin Douglas

Sep 3, 2021, 9:59:51 AM9/3/21
to picrus...@googlegroups.com
Hey there,

Hmm if you were hoping to compare the relative proportions of DNA vs RNA for specific genes then in my opinion I do not think that PICRUSt2 would be a good replacement for shotgun metagenomics in this case. This is because I don’t think you would be able to accurately identify highly and lowly expressed genes (relative to the level of DNA) based solely on metagenome predictions.

Hopefully that clarifies your question!

Cheers,

Gavin

On Sep 2, 2021, at 8:24 PM, Kirk Bergstrom <ksbe...@gmail.com> wrote:

I am preparing to get 16S sampling and metatranscriptomic analysis done on a humanized microbiota. Cost barriers prevent me from doing both metagonimc sequencing and metranscriptomics. I am wondering if picrust 2 outputs can be used in Humann2 for parallel metagenomic and metatranscriptomic analyses as is done routinely with shotgun metagenomic data

Thank you!
KB

KB

Sep 7, 2021, 10:31:51 PM9/7/21
to picrus...@googlegroups.com
Hi Gavin - thank you, I figured that would be the case but thought I would check before investing too much time into it.  PICRUSt2 is a great tool regardless...

Cheers,
KB