normalising before lefse? (picrust2 to lefse)

Marwa Tawfik

Mar 10, 2022, 2:45:47 PM3/10/22
to picrust-users
Hello

Could you please share with me your recommended way of normalising before using lefse?
I am using microbiomeMarker (run_lefse function) to do so
A good tutorial is here;

They provide seven popular normalization methods, including:
  • rarefy: random subsampling counts to the smallest library size in the data set.
  • TSS: total sum scaling, also referred to as “relative abundance”, the abundances were normalized by dividing the corresponding sample library size.
  • TMM: trimmed mean of m-values. First, a sample is chosen as reference. The scaling factor is then derived using a weighted trimmed mean over the differences of the log-transformed gene-count
    fold-change between the sample and the reference.
  • RLE: relative log expression, RLE uses a pseudo-reference calculated using the geometric mean of the gene-specific abundances over all samples. The scaling factors are then calculated as the median of the gene counts ratios between the samples and the reference.
  • CSS: cumulative sum scaling, calculates scaling factors as the cumulative sum of gene abundances up to a data-derived threshold.
  • CLR: centered log-ratio normalization.
  • CPM: pre-sample normalization of the sum of the values to 1e+06.