Installing Picochess manually

Marc Hamilton

Jan 23, 2022, 8:10:48 PM1/23/22
to PicoChess
Randy,
Thanks for the guidance on installing picochess manually. Basically, I copied the picochess directory to a desktop version of the Raspberry OS (Buster) and had to configure it to "start up" on the boot of the Pi. Also had to add-in the Bluetooth fix.

Multiple attempts, but eventually it fired up and connected on the BT board.

The only odd problem, was when I put the original Micro SD Card back in the Pi that contains your Pi Desktop version I had to pair the Bluetooth again by going back into the bluetoothctl file.

In the end, there was no practical reason for doing this other than I now have a better understanding of the picochess app installation/configuration  requirememts.

Randy Reade

Jan 23, 2022, 9:05:55 PM1/23/22
to pico...@googlegroups.com
Just a guess but maybe there's a key combo created when you pair the Pi and the board, and having to pair it in a new OS image removes the previous one so when switching back, the original pairing is no longer valid. I've never looked into pairing BT devices very deeply.

There's a few more steps that I didn't mention, namely updating spur with the 'Windows Remote engine' fix, the fix for uci.py in Python-chess, libraries for mame and lc0... there may be others. I'll check tomorrow if I have an updated process written down. I've done it so often it's mostly from memory. 😁

Randy

RandyR

Jan 24, 2022, 10:00:45 AM1/24/22
to PicoChess
Mark (and anyone else interested),

Here are the steps I take when setting up PicoChess on a new RPiOS image for the DGTPi. It assumes you have a backup a current /opt/picochess folder which you can copy recursively onto the SD Card (e.g. using rsync in linux), preserving root permissions and ownership. I use a laptop which dual boots Windows 10 and Linux Mint (Debian-based distros are probably best for this task). Let me know if something doesn't make sense or if you think I missed a step.

Randy

Picochess Build.txt

m371...@gmail.com

Jan 24, 2022, 10:40:12 AM1/24/22
to pico...@googlegroups.com

I’ll give it a try and get back to you; looks fairly straight forward.  Is #13 a series of gits or is that one command-line? If it is a series, a common between the gits would help clarify.   Marc

Sent from Mail for Windows

RandyR

Jan 24, 2022, 11:32:24 AM1/24/22
to PicoChess
On Monday, January 24, 2022 at 9:40:12 AM UTC-6 m371...@gmail.com wrote:

... Is #13 a series of gits or is that one command-line?

No. It's a command (apt) to install a bunch of packages, which includes git. Should be entered as one line.

Randy

Marc Hamilton

Jan 24, 2022, 8:58:33 PM1/24/22
to PicoChess
Randy,
Using your Picochess Build Instructions, it took me two-tries to have success installing the Picochess App on a Raspberry Pi OS. The first time I'd get to the DGT-Pi prompt and it would freeze. After some tinkering, I decided to flash the card again since I had to foresight to burn a version with the Picochess Directory already copied to /opt.  So about 35 minutes of work later (after the reflash) I got it to fire up (with your Bluetooth Fix incorporated) .
I didn't see any issues with your instructions, other than I only had version 3.7 of Python installed and not version 3.9. Not sure why the upgrade didn't bump it.

Marc

RandyR

Jan 24, 2022, 9:43:57 PM1/24/22
to PicoChess
Good to hear, Mark. I guess you started with RPiOS 'Buster', which has Python 3.7. The new 'Bullseye' version comes with Python 3.9.2 as far as I know. And I think they both have Python 2.7 (invoked by python rather than python3).

Randy

m371...@gmail.com

Jan 25, 2022, 12:39:16 PM1/25/22
to pico...@googlegroups.com

Yes, I used a Buster version of Raspberry. Originally, I was using Bullseye but ran into too many display issues on the desktop GUI.

Figuring out rsync was a bit of a headache… Is there a way to put your password in the command line?

rsync -avz --progress -h -p  p...@192.168.1.16:test/filename.txt /mnt/c/Users/m371h/pico

Sent from Mail for Windows

Good to hear, Mark. I guess you started with RPiOS 'Buster', which has Python 3.7. The new 'Bullseye' version comes with Python 3.9.2 as far as I know. And I think they both have Python 2.7 (invoked by python rather than python3).

Randy

Randy Reade

Jan 25, 2022, 1:13:29 PM1/25/22
to pico...@googlegroups.com

m371...@gmail.com

Jan 25, 2022, 1:52:37 PM1/25/22
to pico...@googlegroups.com

I’m trying to use bash, which is a Linux subsystem in Windows that runs Ubuntu.

I’m issuing this command

sudo rsync -avz --progress -h --perms --archive /mnt/c/Users/m371h/pico/test p...@192.168.1.16:test2

All the files on the Ubuntu “test” directory have the ownership root:root, however when I  rsync them, to the Pi directory (as test2), Pi is the owner, so I can’t retain the root ownership.

Note, I realize -a should do this and –perms and -archive are repetitive…

Last night, I had to go into picochess and set all the ownership back to root and do a lot of chmod 755 updates… trying to avoid that long process again.

Sent from Mail for Windows

Jan 25, 2022, 2:01:07 PM1/25/22
to pico...@googlegroups.com

Just to clarify, I can retain the root ownership if I transfer the files from the Pi to Windows, its when I transfer them back to the Pi, I lose the root ownership.

Sent from Mail for Windows

Sent: Tuesday, January 25, 2022 10:13 AM
To: pico...@googlegroups.com

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "PicoChess" group.

RandyR

Jan 25, 2022, 2:51:06 PM1/25/22
to PicoChess
Running rsync from the Pi side with sudo would probably be the best but if you're using WSL2 it may not be worth the effort setting it up. Probably a better option is to compress the source picochess folder into a tarball and transfer that.

And, yes, I've had to do that 'repair' once or twice myself. Chown recursively is nice but chmod-ing specific files is a real pain. The joys of learning Linux.

From the WSL folder containing picochess (you might need to install gzip first):

tar -cvjf picochess.tgz ./picochess

Send it using rsync as before and then on the Pi, uncompress:

sudo tar -xvzf picochess.tgz /opt

Randy

m371...@gmail.com

Jan 25, 2022, 3:23:53 PM1/25/22
to pico...@googlegroups.com

Thanx…that makes sense to compress/decompress on Linux… Mark

m371...@gmail.com

Jan 25, 2022, 4:39:37 PM1/25/22
to pico...@googlegroups.com

That worked… I didn’t use the picochess.tgz because of its size. However, I created a directory structure of files all owned by root. I compressed it, copied it to windows then back to another Pi, decompressed it and all the files maintained there permissions and were owned by root.

Thanx… I can go drink some coffee now, I’ve been sitting here for 7 hours 😊

Sent from Mail for Windows

Jan 25, 2022, 6:57:33 PM1/25/22
to pico...@googlegroups.com
One last thing... A person commented on YouTube he had a tournament BT board, but could not get the BT to connect with version 3 of Pico. I sent him your instructions on the BT fix and he got back to me today, saying everything is working...

Sent from my Samsung Tab S7

Jan 25, 2022, 8:01:16 PM1/25/22
to pico...@googlegroups.com
That's great, Mark. Thanks for confirming the 'fix'.

Randy

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "PicoChess" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/picochess/MW3PR19MB43624F20054FD9B235F4B751F65F9%40MW3PR19MB4362.namprd19.prod.outlook.com.
Message has been deleted