PicoChess v3.3 Bookworm Images [26 May 2024]

RandyR

May 26, 2024, 7:54:44 PMMay 26
to PicoChess
Hi everyone,

I have updated the 64-bit Desktop and Lite images for RPiOS Bookworm as well as the Wine image. They contain a cleanup of the MAME artwork and updated MAME plugins and support files to fix some issues when using retro engines. Thanks Dirk!

As before, please read the documentation. The links (below) are unchanged.

Randy

64-bit Bookworm Lite (4.6 GB)

64-bit Bookworm Desktop (5.2 GB)

64-bit Bookworm Desktop with Wine (5.8 GB)

Henri

May 27, 2024, 12:05:27 PMMay 27
to PicoChess
Hi Randy,

Thanks to you and Dirk for all the new adjustments and the wonderful new retro artwork. Of course I tried it out immediately (the Wine image)  and I fear that I again have something to nag about: Both Tasc retro engines (Tasc R30 with Gideon and King 2.5) hang while adjusting settings at startup. Please have a look if you encounter the same thing....

Henri

Dirk

May 27, 2024, 12:14:23 PMMay 27
to 'Dirk' via PicoChess
Hi Henri and Randy,

both work on my system.

Randy, we can compare our lua plugins if you can’t find another reason.

Dirk

Henri

May 27, 2024, 12:21:28 PMMay 27
to PicoChess
Hi Dirk,

I tried the Wine image twice just to be sure. Renamed all-retro.ini to retro.ini, tried to start up all the engines. Only the two Tasc-engines failed.

Henri

Randy Reade

May 27, 2024, 12:29:25 PMMay 27
to pico...@googlegroups.com
Yes, it is not working for me as well.

Randy

RandyR

May 27, 2024, 4:00:47 PMMay 27
to PicoChess
Hi Henri,

Just an update. There are issues with the .uci files. You may have seen that already. Remove or comment out with a semi-colon (;) the [DEFAULT] section. Also, the level text is incorrect in some entries. It should be like this for the TASC machines (from Franz's CB-Emu):

Levels:
ss sec/move             time/move (ss=0-999)
zz/h:mm moves/hrs       moves/time (zz=0-99, h=0-9, mm=00-59)
mm min/game             time/game (mm=0-99)
n ply                   search depth n plies (n=0-99)
n mate                  mate in n moves (n=0-99)
infinite                analysis

Unfortunately, there are similar issue in other .uci files. It will take me some time to go through them all.

Randy

Henri

May 27, 2024, 5:29:23 PMMay 27
to PicoChess
Hi Randy,

Well the commenting out of the [DEFAULT] section works, both engines start. If I can help in any way by testing UCI time-controls, let me know. Last year I made an excelsheet with engines and time-controls for Al, I will add it just in case.

Henri

Op maandag 27 mei 2024 om 22:00:47 UTC+2 schreef RandyR:
Levels MAME3.xlsx

Randy Reade

May 27, 2024, 5:49:18 PMMay 27
to pico...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Henri. It turns out that there are less edits than I thought. Or, I hope. There are alot of engines and I wouldn't expect you to test them all, but if you run into any more that don't work, let me know.

I'm just working on the tascr30.lua file now but have run into an issue that needs Dirk's expertise.

Should have an update soon.

Randy

Message has been deleted

RandyR

May 27, 2024, 9:56:15 PMMay 27
to PicoChess
I'll remove that update. There's still an issue.

Randy

On Monday, May 27, 2024 at 8:29:25 PM UTC-5 RandyR wrote:
Here are the updated files for the Desktop (and Wine) image and the Lite image. Just overwrite the enclosed .uci files in the aarch64/mame folder and the 3 .lua files in the mame_emulation/plugins/chessengine/interfaces folder. I'll upload new images when they are ready.

Randy

RandyR

May 27, 2024, 10:25:18 PMMay 27
to PicoChess
Let's try this again...

Here are the updated files for the Desktop (and Wine) image and the Lite image. Just overwrite the enclosed .uci files in the aarch64/mame folder and the 3 .lua files in the mame_emulation/plugins/chessengine/interfaces folder. I'll upload new images when they are ready.

Randy

On Monday, May 27, 2024 at 4:49:18 PM UTC-5 RandyR wrote:
lite_image_update.zip
desktop_img_update.zip

Marc Hamilton

May 27, 2024, 11:43:12 PMMay 27
to PicoChess
Okay to ignore the zip file in the main uci update?

RandyR

May 27, 2024, 11:47:58 PMMay 27
to PicoChess
Yes. That just contains shorter or longer Level text depending on if you want to use the Desktop image on a DGTPi, or the Lite image in a stand-alone mode (i.e. using the web browser instead of a clock).
Message has been deleted