No Output on DGT3000

BrianL

Dec 13, 2022, 9:51:14 AM12/13/22
to PicoChess
I converted the DGT3000 to a DGTPI, but I don't get an output  using  DGTPI31.

I know it's not the image because I got the same problem with other earlier images.

I also know it's not the wiring  because if I comment out the RP4 section in config.txt it works ok, but is this limiting the performance of picochess.?

I'm using a Raspberry PI 4b.

Thanks

RandyR

Dec 14, 2022, 11:09:25 AM12/14/22
to PicoChess
Brian,

Which image are you using?

Randy

BrianL

Dec 14, 2022, 11:36:30 AM12/14/22
to PicoChess

Randy Reade

Dec 14, 2022, 11:53:05 AM12/14/22
to pico...@googlegroups.com
Let's try this again:

That's the PicoChessWeb version. Perhaps DirkS or someone using that image with the DGTPi can assist.

Randy

BrianLoxton

Dec 14, 2022, 12:28:47 PM12/14/22
to pico...@googlegroups.com
OK, I don't know what the difference is between versions. I assumed because it was 31, it was the latest.

I downloaded and tried this image PicoV3DGTPiDesktop_Bullseye.

I get the same symptoms.

Randy Reade

Dec 14, 2022, 12:32:57 PM12/14/22
to pico...@googlegroups.com
Can you paste your config.txt?

Randy

BrianLoxton

Dec 14, 2022, 12:46:30 PM12/14/22
to pico...@googlegroups.com
Attached is the one from the image. without any changes.
and the version that works after I comment out the Pi4 section has just these changes

#[pi4]
# Run as fast as firmware / board allows
#arm_boost=1
#core_freq=500
#core_freq_min=500

config.txt

Randy Reade

Dec 14, 2022, 12:52:23 PM12/14/22
to pico...@googlegroups.com
OK. Remove the first [All] and the blank line below it, in the original file.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "PicoChess" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/picochess/CAGc%2Bgc85jsaMckHT59ofLUmLBzgPQCq2YiqO0S02EnoGB8aFTA%40mail.gmail.com.

Dirk Sommerfeld

Dec 14, 2022, 12:53:40 PM12/14/22
to PicoChess
I use a pi3B+ in my dgtpi31. This one works from the scratch. I think that Alan has also a Pi4 in his scallypi. His first version runs also before I convert him a web version to a dgtpi. Did you can confirm that your powersupply is strong enough for a Pi4? 5V3A? That is one of the master issues for all pi4 users. I know it looks like it runs also with a 2A Powersullpy but this brings some negative effects.

Dirk

BrianLoxton

Dec 14, 2022, 1:03:02 PM12/14/22
to pico...@googlegroups.com
Ok. I tried that but it made no difference. so I reverted back to commenting the PI4 section out. and it works again.

It's not a major problem, I just thought it strange that given the exact same image and hardware as everyone else, I seem to be the only one with this issue.

Thanks anyway.

BrianLoxton

Dec 14, 2022, 1:09:53 PM12/14/22
to pico...@googlegroups.com
Mine also worked when I used a PI3b+
I only had this issue since upgrading to a PI4b. I am using an authentic Raspberry PI 3A PSU, so should be ok.

But everything works great if I comment out the PI4 section.
I Was just interested if anyone else had similar symptoms.

Thanks

Randy Reade

Dec 14, 2022, 1:10:55 PM12/14/22
to pico...@googlegroups.com
Perhaps something has changed in the RPi4b firmware. I only have the original RPi3b in my DGTPi. There is an old thread on here from Lucas where he determined you needed the RPi4b core freq at 500 MHz. Maybe that doesn't work any more. I'll be interested if you don't run into any issues with the clock display or buttons.

Randy

Randy Reade

Dec 14, 2022, 1:15:18 PM12/14/22
to pico...@googlegroups.com
Can you run a test? Uncomment the Pi4 section and in a terminal type:

cd /opt/picochess/etc
sudo ./dgtpicom "Hello" 1

Do you have an error?

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "PicoChess" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/picochess/CAGc%2Bgc8o7ypNNbez208xXXV5hRga5qeqfs4Td7bt0cWepSJwFA%40mail.gmail.com.

Dirk Sommerfeld

Dec 14, 2022, 1:15:24 PM12/14/22
to PicoChess
Brian, could you please test this without the pi4 section?

#core_freq=250
#core_freq_min=250
core_freq=500
core_freq_min=500

Scally

Dec 14, 2022, 1:40:55 PM12/14/22
to PicoChess
Hi all,

Using DirkS image, my settings are as DirkS last post with my RPi 4 inside my DGT Pi.

Al.

RandyR

Dec 14, 2022, 4:19:46 PM12/14/22
to PicoChess
So I did some reading. The two [all] sections in config.txt is correct and good practice. See here.

Randy

BrianL

Dec 15, 2022, 5:51:28 AM12/15/22
to PicoChess
Thanks for the help on this. I tried removing the PI4 section and adding lines
#core_freq=250
#core_freq_min=250
core_freq=500
core_freq_min=500

but it made no difference.
 so I changed it to
#core_freq=250
#core_freq_min=250
core_freq=400
core_freq_min=400

and that works. so It appears to be an I2c timing issue.

Randy Reade

Dec 15, 2022, 1:19:03 PM12/15/22
to pico...@googlegroups.com
Once again:

cd /opt/picochess/etc
sudo ./dgtpicom "Hello" 1

Do you have an error?

Randy

BrianL

Dec 16, 2022, 7:16:16 AM12/16/22
to PicoChess
Ok, I tried that using putty.
I didn't get any error. (or any message) just returned command prompt

Randy Reade

Dec 16, 2022, 9:57:30 AM12/16/22
to pico...@googlegroups.com
That's probably because you aren't using the debug build. It will give much more useful info. To test the debug version, carry out the following steps:

Copy the attached file to your home folder (/home/pi). It contains the source code for the 32-bit version of dgtpicom. Then:

unzip dgtpicom.zip
cd dgtpicom
make debug2

Then try the previous test:

sudo dgtpicom "hello" 1

You should see some info now.

Randy
dgtpicom.zip

BrianL

Dec 17, 2022, 6:15:03 AM12/17/22
to PicoChess
I've attached the output  from the debug version of dgtpicom. Lots of error but I don't know how to interpret them.

Thanks

dgtpicom output.txt

Randy Reade

Dec 17, 2022, 10:11:12 AM12/17/22
to pico...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Brian.

It's definitely a communication problem between the Pi and the clock. I guess running at 500 MHz is too fast in your case. There's an old thread on here where Lucas (from DGT at the time) determined that the RPi4 could run at 500 MHz core frequency and still work with the clock. Perhaps that's not always the case as there may be slight differences between devices.

But I'm not really sure as I don't know the hardware in the clock or why the i2c communication isn't always working. I don't know C programming enough to know where to modify the dgtpicom code. At least not yet. In 64-bit (arm64), there are further issues (related to clock button detection) that I'm trying to figure out but it requires learning C and the i2c interface. It may take me a while. 😁

At least you know how to fix your issue.

Randy

BrianLoxton

Dec 17, 2022, 10:46:51 AM12/17/22
to pico...@googlegroups.com

I'm pretty sure it is just timing, so an easy fix.

Thanks for the help.

Cordial Iter

Feb 22, 2023, 5:20:17 AM2/22/23
to PicoChess

I had the same problem with a DGT 3000 Limited Edition and RPi 3b+. BrianL is right. It is a timing problem. But the values that he used didn’t work for me.
I was successful with deactivating the [Pi4] section and
core_frequ=300
core_frequ_min=300
The values 250, 400 and 500 didn’t work.
If you run into the same issue it might be a good idea to experiment with different values.
Message has been deleted