A new home for my Pi4

Wilhelm

Dec 7, 2020, 11:17:09 AM12/7/20
to PicoChess
In addition to my DGT-Pi, I have bought a DGT3000 LE and a Pi4.

This Pi4 now needs a home. So it made sense to build a new substructure for the DGT3000. I have also incorporated some changes to the DGT-Pi.

The battery compartment is no longer there. The new Pi4 is not used as a pure chess clock. The power supply of the DGT3000 LE is now taken over by the Pi4 itself.

The little house in the substructure to access the clock button no longer exists. The button was moved to the rear of the substructure.

The Pi4 was turned by 90°, so the USB ports and the LAN port can be reached from behind and the "drawer" is no longer brought.

The new substructure should accommodate a sound card and speaker.

The result was this substructure:

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

You can see the substructure in the automatic version here. There will also be a switch variant, but this is still under construction. With the automatic version, after pressing the clock button, after a time delay, the Pi4 is disconnected from the voltage, so that it is de-energized and the fan is also switched off.

Since I work for Dirk as a tester, he gave me permission to use his V3 in the following video. Big thanks to Dirk.

Scally

Dec 7, 2020, 11:47:50 AM12/7/20
to PicoChess
Hi Wilhelm,

Very nice and very professional. I’ve had a RPi 4 inside my DGT Pi for some time with a Noctua fan and am about to add an activity light, the parts have just arrived (see attached picture)

I’ve posted pictures in the past and will again when I’ve added the activity light, I’m still contemplating removing the on/off switch for the fan and replacing it with a self activating fan at certain temperatures, using the switch hole for the bulb.

However mine doesn’t look as nice as yours.

Good job.

Al.

547FBE69-C0C8-4548-851F-8EEDE5E81A16.jpeg

Etienne

Dec 7, 2020, 12:25:45 PM12/7/20
to PicoChess
Hi Wilhem and ..... well done android:!!!!  Your clock Pi4 is a beauty and very smart assembled;...looks like a real prototype for a famous company.....
The idea to get the sound from it makes a lot of sense...I hope you will succed with satisfactory qualty level.
All the best,

Wilhelm

Dec 7, 2020, 12:41:07 PM12/7/20
to PicoChess
Hi Al,
my fan runs as soon as and as long as the Pi has 5V. This is indicated for me by the red LED.

Hi Etienne,
the sound card is on the far left and the speaker can be seen on the far right in the top view. The sound card is upright on the edge.

Dirk

Dec 7, 2020, 1:21:59 PM12/7/20
to PicoChess
Hi Wilhelm,

a really nice new home for the Pi4 - especially nice with my V3 which will benefit from the more powerful Pi4 instead of the Pi3 ;-)

I think the most important points of your design are:

1. Nice base case especially for a Pi4
2. No more extra batteries for the DGT3000 needed(!)
3. No more external loud speaker needed (this is for me the killer feature!)

Really nice job!

Dirk

BillyC

Mar 4, 2021, 8:18:59 AM3/4/21
to PicoChess
Hallo Wilhelm,
ganz tolle Arbeit. Das gefällt mir so gt das ich es gerne nachbauen würde. Hast du dafür evtl. auch eine kleine Aufbauanleitung und/oder ein paar weitere Bilder?

BillyC

Hi Wilhelm,
Very good job. I like it so much that I would like to rebuild it. Do you have a small assembly instruction and/or a few more pictures?

Wilhelm

Mar 4, 2021, 9:53:38 AM3/4/21
to PicoChess
Hallo Billy

zur Zeit habe ich ein Update in Arbeit.
Der SD-Karteneinschub wird auf der Rückseite untergebracht. (Danke Al für den Tipp)
Damit hat die Fummelei auf der Unterseite der Uhr endgültig ein Ende. Es gibt keine Bedienelemente mehr auf der Unterseite, alles befindet sich nun auf der Rückseite.

Der Unterbau ist bereits gedruckt und wenn alles planmäßig läuft, ist die Inbetriebnahme nächste Woche.

Dann werde ich hier Bilder/Video einstellen. Wenn es gewünscht wird, kann ich auch eine Stückliste einstellen usw.

I am currently working on an update.
The SD card slot is located on the back. (Thanks Al for the tip)
This finally puts an end to fumbling on the underside of the watch. There are no more controls on the underside, everything is now on the back.
The substructure has already been printed and if everything goes according to plan, commissioning is next week.
Then I will post pictures / video here. If desired, I can also set a parts list, etc.

greetings

Luigi Vogliobene

Mar 7, 2021, 5:33:51 AM3/7/21
to PicoChess

Fantastic job Wilhelm, if ever it was possible I would book to buy the kit when you have released it. Thank you.
Luigi

Wilhelm

Mar 7, 2021, 11:04:10 AM3/7/21
to PicoChess

Here are the pictures of my current substructure:

Bild0001.jpg
Bild0003.jpg
Bild0004.jpg
Bild0005.jpg
And here is another video.

Wilhelm

Scally

Mar 7, 2021, 11:25:41 AM3/7/21
to PicoChess
Hi Wilhelm,

That looks really nice now, well done ..

Al.

Randy Reade

Mar 7, 2021, 11:39:02 AM3/7/21
to pico...@googlegroups.com
Very impressive, Wilhelm. Thanks for sharing!

Randy

Dirk Sommerfeld

Mar 14, 2021, 10:25:47 AM3/14/21
to PicoChess
Hi Wilhelm,
that's awesome !!
It ist possible that you provide the BOM and the STL file?  I would love to rebuild it.

Dirk

Wilhelm

Mar 14, 2021, 11:47:49 AM3/14/21
to PicoChess
Hi,

I am happy to publish the STL file here.
The front is then standard. That means - my logo in the middle.
However, other versions are also possible. (Picochess or PicoPi or others, each plus logo)
Tell me what you'd like it to be.

But MolliPi and ScallyPi are taken. :)                They are unique in the world.

I will insert assembly instructions, a material list and a circuit diagram, etc. here.

I am now glad that the sound problems have been resolved (desktop images) and can probably be resolved (litle images).

Wilhelm

Dirk

Mar 14, 2021, 12:20:19 PM3/14/21
to PicoChess
<<<<<<< But MolliPi and ScallyPi are taken. :)                They are unique in the world.  <<<<<<<<<<

Of course they are!!!

Dirk

Dirk Sommerfeld

Mar 14, 2021, 12:34:40 PM3/14/21
to PicoChess
lovely...
DivaPi will be the next unique one.

Big THX, happy to look forward to realize it.

Dirk(II)

Luigi Vogliobene

Mar 14, 2021, 12:58:01 PM3/14/21
to PicoChess
Hi Wilhelm,
I think "Picochess" would be OK, IMHO.
My 2 cents.
Luigi

Hansi

Mar 14, 2021, 5:33:33 PM3/14/21
to PicoChess
WilliPi or MasterPi would sound good, too :-)

Randy Reade

Mar 14, 2021, 6:01:32 PM3/14/21
to pico...@googlegroups.com
I'm leaning towards CowPi. 🤣🤣

Randy

Hansi

Mar 14, 2021, 6:25:32 PM3/14/21
to PicoChess
@Randy: CowPi sounds really nice :-)
Message has been deleted

Scally

Mar 15, 2021, 4:21:24 AM3/15/21
to PicoChess
Hi all,

I believe Wilhelm has a nickname or pet name of ELO, so  “EloPi”  is nice.

However I really like  “TemPi” which is also a Chess term.

Of course the funny names of  “ScamPi”  &  “HipPi”  would not be appropriate 😂😂😂

Cheers,

Al.

Wilhelm

Mar 15, 2021, 7:30:55 AM3/15/21
to PicoChess

ChessPi.jpg
What do you think? Is neutral and yet meaningful.

greetings

Dirk Sommerfeld

Mar 15, 2021, 7:36:58 AM3/15/21
to PicoChess
looks cool !!

Scally

Mar 15, 2021, 7:53:44 AM3/15/21
to PicoChess
Hi Wilhelm,

Yes that works for me ….. 👍

Al.
7F704EBB-BB3E-4583-A48A-1CFE9AA49F26.jpeg
F6400CA7-63A4-4C26-812A-618CB1CFE1B2.jpeg
8A161768-A976-4277-AF4D-3EA43823A4B9.jpeg
DFCF2E2C-C3DE-4FE7-A4AD-C521FE28F0B8.jpeg
D006D456-BF8E-43A1-9EB1-4EA0DC17FFA5.jpeg

Etienne Chaffanjon

Mar 15, 2021, 8:45:05 AM3/15/21
to pico...@googlegroups.com
As great as simple!

Le 15 mars 2021 à 12:31, Wilhelm <elo.di...@gmail.com> a écrit :

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "PicoChess" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/picochess/a45dd94f-4a5a-4659-81ff-c4899aea011fn%40googlegroups.com.
<ChessPi.jpg>

Luigi Vogliobene

Mar 15, 2021, 9:34:48 AM3/15/21
to PicoChess
It is OK for me

Wilhelm

Mar 20, 2021, 7:42:30 AM3/20/21
to PicoChess
Hi

I've made the files available in my Dropbox.
If you have the ChessPi printed, you will get a substructure that looks like the one in these pictures.
Unbenannt 1.jpgUnbenannt2.jpg

I don't want to advertise certain products. It is, however, the case that the ChessPi is adapted for installation on certain products. The switch, the button and the USB socket should be mentioned here. Whoever uses other parts must see for himself how he attaches them.

I don't have pictures of all construction phases.

If you have any improvements, let me know.

Here is the link to ChessPi:

Here is the link to the material list:

Here is the link to the circuit diagram:

Here are the building instructions:

Please do not forget to register the sound card.
in /boot/config.txt
     # Enable audio (loads snd_bcm2835)
     # dtparam = audio = on

     # Sound Card
     dtoverlay = hifiberry-dac

In connection with the desktop image of Randy, the full scope of Picochess V3 is available to you.

Wilhelm

Dirk

Mar 20, 2021, 9:06:13 AM3/20/21
to PicoChess

Incredible!
Thanks for sharing, Wilhelm.

Dirk

Luigi Vogliobene

Mar 20, 2021, 10:14:23 AM3/20/21
to PicoChess
Thanks for sharing Wilhelm

Scally

Mar 20, 2021, 11:07:18 AM3/20/21
to PicoChess
Cheers Wilhelm,

Al.

Hansi

Mar 20, 2021, 2:52:07 PM3/20/21
to PicoChess
Great work!

As I read in the material list, the substructure is made for pi v4 only?
So the original pi 3b, which is included in the DGTPI won't fit in that one, right?

Dirk Sommerfeld

Mar 20, 2021, 3:43:25 PM3/20/21
to PicoChess
wow... thx

Dirk Sommerfeld

Mar 20, 2021, 3:48:50 PM3/20/21
to PicoChess
13h print !!! amazing :-)

DJ1KH

Mar 20, 2021, 5:22:04 PM3/20/21
to PicoChess
You’re awesome, thank you very much ❤️

Wilhelm

Mar 21, 2021, 4:38:37 AM3/21/21
to PicoChess
Hi Hansi

I have not checked it.
If the USB-A sockets and the LAN socket are the same in size and position, a Pi3 (or the upcoming Pi5) should also fit.
The position and size of the sockets for HDMI or 3.5mm do not matter.
Instead of the USB-C connector, you can also install a USB-B connector.
Message has been deleted

Scally

Mar 21, 2021, 9:04:33 AM3/21/21
to PicoChess
Hi Hansi,

The Ethernet and outer USB 2 ports have been reversed from the RPi 3 to the RPi 4, so you will have to enlarge the Ethernet hole in Wilhelm’s case slightly to accommodate these USB ports. The differences in the HDMI and USB power ports won’t be a problem as these are internal within the case, you will just need different adapters.

I had to make the same modifications when swapping a RPi 4 for a RPi 3b+ in my DGT Pi case for the all the ports, which was a lot more difficult as all ports are external in the DGT Pi case.

Cheers,

Al.

On Sunday, March 21, 2021 at 9:16:44 AM UTC Wilhelm wrote:
Hi,

I would like to add that I run my fan with 3V.
The difference in core temperature is not significant.

The diagram shows the temperature development of my "Automatic Pi", the forerunner of the ChessPi.
In contrast to the ChessPi, the Automatic Pi does not yet have any ventilation openings.
While these vents are small, they shouldn't make the situation worse. Now fresh air can flow into the interior through these ventilation openings and the fan can push the warm air out again under the rockers.
If necessary, the supply and exhaust air routes can be enlarged.
As I said, my automatic Pi has no air intake openings. Therefore there is no air exchange with me. I ask you to take this into account in the diagram.

To the diagram:
The upper curve shows the core temperature when the fan is off.
The middle curve shows the temperature when the fan is operated with 3V and the lower curve shows the temperature when the fan is operated with 5V.
The left part of the curves (up to the steep ascent) shows the respective temperature of the boat. Picochess idle.
From the first kink, picochess goes into analysis mode with stockfish with 1 Therad in the basic position.
At the second kink, picochess goes back to idle.

Wilhelm

Fan.jpg
6A6E6DC9-977C-45BA-8BA7-92EB09B1FE84.jpeg
453EF051-28AC-4A69-BC84-AAA95ECF4C78.jpeg

Hansi

Mar 21, 2021, 9:20:59 AM3/21/21
to PicoChess
Thanks Al!

Maybe it could be a good idea for me, simply buying a RPi 4 or waiting for the RPi 5. In that case I have to figure out, how to use the rest of the DGTPI (display and clock function) with the newer versions. But I guess thats written in Wilhem's manual. I see I have to get more familiar with the Pi things :-).

Tom Emmelot

Mar 23, 2021, 8:07:01 AM3/23/21
to PicoChess

Very nice work, good luck Wilhelm!

Wilhelm

Mar 23, 2021, 12:23:53 PM3/23/21
to PicoChess
Here is an addendum:

The stack header with the lines can look like this.

Kamm 1.jpgKamm 2.jpg

Wilhelm

Mar 27, 2021, 10:17:42 AM3/27/21
to PicoChess
Hi

The sound problem with the different images in connection with the "HifiBerry MiniAmp" sound card has been solved.

The following procedure works with the litle image and the desktop image of Randy.
The procedure also leads to success with other images that have been tested by me.
Mame sound and pico sound can be heard at the same time and the volume setting also works.

1) Edit the /boot/config.txt:

      Enable audio (loads snd_bcm2835)
      #dtparam=audio=on                <--- comment out this line
      dtoverlay=hifiberry-dac            <---- add this line

2) Copy the new asound.conf to /etc

greeting
Wilhelm
asound.conf

Marcin Jasiński

Oct 13, 2021, 7:54:35 PM10/13/21
to PicoChess
Hello,

I have pi4 + HifiBerry MiniAmp + PicoV3DGTPiLite

you said: the volume setting also works but in my case when i use clock buttons system>Voice>VoiceVolume changing form 0-10 not working, i can change the volume only by command:  amixer sset Master 70%

is there any option to control the volume by clock buttons system>Voice>VoiceVolume

Randy Reade

Oct 13, 2021, 8:23:53 PM10/13/21
to pico...@googlegroups.com
Marcin,

You can edit /opt/picochess/dgt/menu.py. Down near line 1139 you should see:

    def set_volume_voice(self, volume_factor): #WD
        """ Set the Volume-Voice."""
        ##logging.debug('amixer sset PCM ' + str(volume_factor * 5 + 50) + '%')
        ##logging.debug('amixer sset Headphone ' + str(volume_factor * 5 + 50) + '%')
        logging.debug('amixer sset Headphone ' + str(volume_factor * 5 + 50) + '%')
        ##os.system('amixer sset PCM ' + str(volume_factor * 5 + 50) + '%')
        ##os.system('amixer sset Headphone ' + str(volume_factor * 5 + 50) + '%') ## BUSTER Fix
        os.system('amixer sset Headphone ' + str(volume_factor * 5 + 50) + '%') ## PulseAudio Fix for DGTPi -RR
        return

If I recall, change 'Headphone' to 'Master' in both uncommented lines.

Randy

RandyR

Oct 13, 2021, 8:29:06 PM10/13/21
to PicoChess
See also here.

Randy

Marcin Jasiński

Oct 13, 2021, 8:32:18 PM10/13/21
to PicoChess
thanks a lot, now it works

Xin Da

Jan 2, 2023, 6:17:07 AM1/2/23
to PicoChess
Hi Wilhelm,

is it an error in the part list?  I cant find a toggle switch in 9x13mm only in 19x13mm.
André

Wilhelm

Jan 3, 2023, 9:58:58 AM1/3/23
to PicoChess
Hello André

Please excuse my late answer.
The dimensions for the toggle switch are the installation dimensions.
The existing opening in the housing is 9x13mm. So the toggle switch has to fit in there.
The outer border of the switch can and must be slightly larger.

Switches like this should fit:
In the German bay there are these: "Kippschalter Wippschalter 11x15mm Switch 2 Pin DC 12V 24V AC 250V / 6A Ein / Aus"
These have the installation dimensions 9 x 13mm.

Wilhelm
Message has been deleted

orlando vargas gonzalez

Sep 27, 2023, 5:44:12 PM9/27/23
to PicoChess
hello scally, At this moment I am trying to build the chess pi following the instructions in the conversation, I wanted to ask you if you could help me with the best tips to make it work perfectly and tell me if Randy's last image from August works perfectly with this project, thank you very much for your time, greetings from Colombia
Message has been deleted

Wilhelm

Sep 28, 2023, 4:54:44 AM9/28/23
to PicoChess
Hello Orlando
The ChessPi with its sound card and speakers runs with both of Randy's new images.
An adjustment to the config.txt is necessary to activate the sound card and a new /etc/asound.conf so that picochess can control the volume. The changes are described above and apply to the Litle images and the Desktop images.

However, an additional step is necessary for the current desktop image.

There is an installation script that makes the necessary adjustments automatically. (Suitable for both images) It should be noted that for the desktop image the option
Activate '/dev/zero' playback in background? [RECOMMENDED] [y/N]
must be confirmed with Yes.
This step is not required for the Litle image.

I have attached my files to you, they come from my desktop image in ChessPi.

greetings from Germany

m371...@gmail.com schrieb am Donnerstag, 28. September 2023 um 07:29:53 UTC+2:
I know this is an old post, but Al in an earlier reply to this post, gave me the idea of of mounting an *LED on the internals of the DGT Pi.  Note the custom heat sink using copper wire. (flattened on bottom and in contact with the CPU). Lower image shows the Noctua fan. I wrote a file today to control the RPM's directly in proportion to each degree of heat change.

*LED anode to 3.3v (pin 17 since #1 is used by the DGT Pi) with a 220 Ohm resistor in-between, and the cathod to gnd.

20230927_221805.jpg

asound.conf
config.txt

orlando vargas gonzalez

Sep 28, 2023, 6:12:35 PM9/28/23
to PicoChess
thanks you wilhelm, i just order a new pi 5, and i hope that this proyect can update to accept the new pi 5, thank you for you help and time.

orlando

Wilhelm

Sep 29, 2023, 3:53:18 AM9/29/23
to PicoChess
Hello Orlando,

there will be a new 3D print file.
PicoChess Pi5.jpg
I can also respond to requests for improvement.
So just bring it on.

There shouldn't be any unsolvable problems with the new Pi5.
What I don't yet know is whether the on/off button can also be accessed via the pin bar or not.
If it were only possible to access it directly on the Pi via solder connections, that would mean the loss of the warranty.
Alternatively, I only see a mechanical solution with a plunger or lever.
However, this requires space and freedom of movement.

Wilhelm

orlando vargas gonzalez

Sep 29, 2023, 4:13:47 PM9/29/23
to PicoChess
hello Wilhelm , I think it is possible to place a power button through the gpio pins as can already be done on the raspberry pi 4. In this way, the original button would not have to be altered with the consequent loss of warranty or damage to the pi 5, which do you think about this idea?

orlando vargas gonzalez

Oct 7, 2023, 11:04:42 PM10/7/23
to PicoChess
hello wilhem i have a question, i made the chess pi proyect but currently you do not have a usb or bluetooth board, so in the configuration I put that I do not have a board and I can only play through the web interface and I do not see anything on the screen of the dgt 3000 since it is left only with the written word dgt pi My question is the following, while I decide which board to buy since the DGT is quite expensive, is it possible to play with the web interface, but have all the plays reflected on the DGT 3000 screen as if it had the board itself? I appreciate your time, thank you very much.

I put a link to a video I made where I show where the chess pi gets stuck

Randy Reade

Oct 8, 2023, 1:19:18 PM10/8/23
to pico...@googlegroups.com
Hi Orlando,

When using the Web-Play mode with no e-board, no output is sent to the DGTPi since everything is visible in the web browser.

Randy

orlando vargas gonzalez

Oct 8, 2023, 1:21:34 PM10/8/23
to pico...@googlegroups.com
Hello Randy, a question, is there a way that when playing without a board, the plays can be displayed on the clock as well as the time?

Randy Reade

Oct 8, 2023, 1:48:01 PM10/8/23
to pico...@googlegroups.com
That would require a change to the code.

Randy

orlando vargas gonzalez

Oct 8, 2023, 1:56:23 PM10/8/23
to pico...@googlegroups.com
Ok, I understand, last question if I buy a chessnut air because is cheap compared with the price of the dgt eboard, everything works well, like the dgt eboard?

Randy Reade

Oct 8, 2023, 2:07:08 PM10/8/23
to pico...@googlegroups.com
Gerhard could better answer this as he added the support for Chessnut Air, but I believe there is no support for sliding pieces, meaning if you don't pick up your piece and place it on the destination square, it will register the first legal move it detects as your move. I only have DGT and Chesslink boards myself.

Randy

gkalab

Oct 8, 2023, 2:38:41 PM10/8/23
to PicoChess
Sliding pieces should work reasonably well.
Although the Chessnut Air is so small that it's not so easy to slide pieces.
This is more relevant to the Chessnut Pro.
I've hardcoded a 350ms delay for moves that can be made by sliding pieces.
It's not perfect but it works for me.

Gerhard

Dirk

Oct 8, 2023, 2:42:34 PM10/8/23
to PicoChess
No problem with sliding pieces or whatever on my chestnut air board :-)

Gerhard did a great job!

if you don't mind the smaller size (and the plastic pieces) your will get a portable eboard with LEDs (although the single LED for each square is not always good to see) and better online support via different apps.
But of course its a completely different "play" feeling than a nice DGT eboard (which of course is way more expensive but at the moment you can find lots of used DGT boards...)

Dirk

IMG_6029.jpeg

orlando vargas gonzalez

Oct 8, 2023, 4:14:02 PM10/8/23
to pico...@googlegroups.com
Hello all, where can find a used dgt eboard at good price, I find in ebay the most cheap is sell for 750 usd, which is a good price for this eboards?

Andrea Gatti

Oct 9, 2023, 4:26:44 AM10/9/23
to PicoChess
Hi Orlando, sometimes you can find good deals on ebay in the UK and Germany. You should directly see ebay.com.uk and ebay.de

Scally

Oct 9, 2023, 5:23:31 AM10/9/23
to PicoChess
Hi,

You could also consider buying older Mephisto boards and purchasing the an Elfacun Unit to connect to Picochess.

Here’s a few videos showing my Elfacun playlists:

And here’s a link to all my Picochess videos:

Cheers,

Al

Wilhelm

Nov 28, 2023, 9:38:11 AM11/28/23
to PicoChess
Here is a little video about my Pi5.
Bookworm Lite 64Bit is used - thanks to Randy

A Pi5 with 4GB plus sound card and speakers is installed here.
It is the same equipment as in ChessPi. However, the Pi5 is not running in dgtpi mode (hopefully only temporarily).

Another word about the power supply:
1) In contrast to the Pi4, the 3.3V output of the GPIO on the Pi5 is throttled and is only a pure signal output. That's why I had to generate the 3V for the DGT3000 clock myself from the Pi's 5V using a DC-DC converter.
2) I used the Pi4 power supply for the first few games. Since I couldn't measure any current above 1.5A, I thought it wasn't a problem. However, several crashes occurred. The Pi5 goes into error, LED = red and current consumption 0.0A. (Even when shut down, the Pi5 still draws 0.1A continuously) Since I started using the 5A power supply, I haven't had any more crashes.

Unfortunately, the DGTPI mode is currently not working, so I have to connect the clock to the board with a 3.5mm plug cable and can therefore only use the 8 characters.
The Pi is connected to the board via BT.

Wilhelm

Dimosthenis Aliferis

Mar 13, 2024, 3:18:34 PMMar 13
to PicoChess
hello everybody
I'm almost ready to upgrade my dtppi
Wilhelm kindly replied and answer my noob questions

do you think I should wait a little more for pi5? or should  go with pi4 that I already have ?

wilhelm are you going to upload and share the new 3d design and the rest of the imstructions?

thanks

Wilhelm

Mar 14, 2024, 6:41:39 AMMar 14
to PicoChess
Hello,

Currently a Pi5 is not (yet) running in dgtpi mode. It will take some time until the professionals here in the forum find a solution.
Until then, Picochess will only run with a Pi5 with the 3.5mm plug cable in "dgtpi = false" mode.
Unfortunately, this has disadvantages. e.g. only 8 characters on the display and a delayed response to a key press.

Once this issue is resolved I will release a new print file for the ChessPi5. I don't think it makes any sense before.
For everyone who wants to see a ChessPi5 in use, I refer you to my video from November 2023:

  https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/8irqqen298owdti1ajv6o/VID_20231128_151228.mp4?rlkey=6gy5d0a44wfito1ltxkq0ihn0&dl=0

Randy's Lite images all run without any problems. Installing the sound card is also easy.
Things are currently different with desktop images. I would like to use the desktop image with Wine on my Pi5 as I find this nice extension useful and would like to use it even without a display, just with the clock. A Pi5 has enough power for this.
But unfortunately the sound doesn't always work. I can install the sound card and the sound works on some startups, but in the majority of startups the speaker remains silent. I haven't looked into the problem in more detail yet, but I assume it might have something to do with the HDMI outputs.

Wilhelm

Randy Reade

Mar 14, 2024, 9:04:43 AMMar 14
to pico...@googlegroups.com
Hi Wilhelm,

I didn't notice any sound issues using my Pi5. I assume you are referring to the announcements from PicoChess and you are using the 64-bit Bookworm Desktop image. When your sound isn't working can you play any sounds via ssh? If you have a display attached, what is the output set to using the speaker icon? Also, what sound card are you using? I'm not sure why it would only work occasionally.

Randy

Dimosthenis Aliferis

Mar 14, 2024, 12:56:37 PMMar 14
to PicoChess
so maybe there is a misunderstanding here?
everything works fine with the lite images and pi5 ? even in dgtpi mode?

lets wait for the admins to clarify things and wilhelm to provide new designs-instructions-parts list!!!!!

last question pi5 with 4gb ram is more than enough, right?

thanks again mates
Dimos

Randy Reade

Mar 14, 2024, 1:13:47 PMMar 14
to pico...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dimos,

Currently, the Pi5 will not work in DGTPi mode. The 4 GB version will run PicoChess without any issues.

Randy
Message has been deleted

Wilhelm

Mar 14, 2024, 3:50:22 PMMar 14
to PicoChess
Hello Randy,

I use "HiFiBerry MiniAmp" as a sound card.
I re-downloaded your current image from March 5, 2024 (64-bit Bookworm desktop with Wine (5.5 GB)) and put it on an SD card.

To install the sound card, the following two steps are required:
a) Adjust the config.txt

      # Enable audio (loads snd_bcm2835)
      #dtparam=audio=on

      #Enable Hifiberry
      dtoverlay=hifiberry-dac

b) add a /etc/asound.conf

c) the /home/pi/.asoundrc still needs to be removed from the new Lite images.

With the Lite images the sound runs reliably.
Not so with the 64-bit Bookworm desktop with Wine Image.

Here the loudspeaker remained silent.
I then have the installation script from here:
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-speaker-bonnet-for-raspberry-pi/raspberry-pi-usage
Let it run through. During installation, the entry: "dtoverlay=i2s-mmap" is added to the Config.txt.
The command: “speaker-test -c2” is also executed. Here too, the Pi5 remained silent. Likewise after the double restart.
Now I added a /home/pi/.asoundrc. After rebooting the sound worked. Picochess could speak. The sound also worked in the next 3 reboots.
However, the next 6 reboots were again without sound. The ssh command “speaker-test -c2” also produced no sound.
Then the sound worked again for a restart before it didn't work again.

I don't have a monitor for the Pi5. My Pi5 is already installed in the ChessPI5 and I don't want to remove it again.

I have attached the files I changed or added.

Wilhelm
asound.conf
config.txt
.asoundrc

Randy Reade

Mar 14, 2024, 7:00:43 PMMar 14
to pico...@googlegroups.com
I wish I could help, Wilhelm. I'm just using a USB-A to 3.5mm adapter (UGREEN) when not connected to an HDMI monitor. Perhaps look at the boot logs (journalctl) and compare the boot when it works to when it doesn't. If you had a monitor you could see if the hifiberry shows up in the speaker icon as an option (maybe VNC will show it). It's strange that it works sometimes and not others. Power problem? Bad connection? It doesn't sound like a typical software issue. But then why is the Lite image working?

Randy

Dirk Sommerfeld

Mar 16, 2024, 8:02:55 AMMar 16
to PicoChess
Hi all ,
very big hug to Willhelm. Finally I have now my own chesspi based on a pi4 with the 64 Bit image and Linux and Windows emulations running,
I make a litte bit research and found a GPIO expander from 1 to 2. So I need no soldering of the clock cable. Only the 3,3V and the display button are soldered.
The transforming process is easy with this extra part.
Hier a link and pictures.

IMG_20240316_121403.jpg

IMG_20240316_121406.jpg

Wilhelm

Mar 16, 2024, 8:24:09 AMMar 16
to PicoChess

Hello Dirk,

looks great.
Congratulations on your project.
I think the idea of the GPIO expander from 1 to 2 is great. I didn't know there was enough space for it. I will do the same in the future.

Have fun with it
Wilhelm

Dimosthenis Aliferis

Mar 16, 2024, 9:36:51 AMMar 16
to PicoChess
I had the same idea
with minimum soldering
there is exactly 2cm free space
20cm-40PIN-Female-to-Female-DuPont-Cable-Line-Jumper-Connector-Breadboard-Wire-TE347-SZ_1024x1024.jpg
Screenshot_20240316_144052_Gmail.jpg
miniamp-600x600.jpg
Screenshot_20240316_144805_Amazon Shopping.jpg
Screenshot_20240316_144824_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Dirk Sommerfeld

Mar 16, 2024, 9:47:13 AMMar 16
to PicoChess
@wilhelm , what type of screws you use, to mount the 3d printed case with the dgtpi top?

Dirk

Wilhelm

Mar 16, 2024, 2:01:57 PMMar 16
to PicoChess
Hello Dirk,

I used stainless steel pan-head sheet metal screws. Outer diameter Ø2.2mm
Length 15mm

Greetings
Wilhelm

Dirk Sommerfeld

Mar 17, 2024, 9:19:03 AMMar 17
to PicoChess
Hi all, one new question. The volume function in my dgt clock don't work with the hifiberry board. How can I fix this? I'm sure that is also only a kind of konfiguration.

Dirk

Wilhelm

Mar 17, 2024, 10:02:12 AMMar 17
to PicoChess

Hello Dirk S.

For volume control you need /etc/asound.conf and rename or delete the existing /home/pi/.asoundrc.

Wilhelm
asound.conf

Dirk Sommerfeld

Mar 17, 2024, 11:31:44 AMMar 17
to PicoChess
Hi the asound.conf , I had modified yesterday, but I don't remove the .asoundrc
Now I'm happy again.
chesspi is really a great enhancement for the dgtpi.

Dirk