PicoChess v3 Desktop and Lite Images

RandyR

Feb 17, 2021, 3:33:28 PM2/17/21
to PicoChess
I decided to start a new thread since I couldn't change the title of the old one, which only referred to the Desktop image.

I have added a readme file to each image archive which I hope will answer some questions concerning the image downloaded. They are a work in progress and as they are improved I will add them to subsequent image updates. If you see any errors or think something needs to be added (further instructions, etc.), let me know. I will attach them here so there is no need to download the image again, along with the links to the images.

Here are the links to the images:

Desktop
 (4.4 GB)

Lite  (3.5 GB)

The readme files are attached.

Randy
Desktop Image Readme.txt
Lite Image Readme.txt

Scally

Feb 17, 2021, 4:21:17 PM2/17/21
to PicoChess
Hi Randy,

Thanks, I assume the links are the same as before as I have references to them?

Cheers,

Al.

Randy Reade

Feb 17, 2021, 4:41:23 PM2/17/21
to pico...@googlegroups.com
Hi Al,

Yes. The links are the same. I should be able to keep them that way. I might make the Readme files links as well to make it easier to update separately.

Randy

Stefan Lozinsky

Feb 18, 2021, 9:24:16 AM2/18/21
to PicoChess
Hi Randy,

Is there a trick to getting these images to boot the the first time?  I have installed the Lite version onto an SD card and am using a DGTPi.  After plugging the card in to the DGTPi and turning it on nothing happens - Should I try the process again from scratch?  I have a few other cards with different images of V3 on them and they all worked out of the gate but hoping to stick to the latest iteration.

Thank you!

Stefan

Randy Reade

Feb 18, 2021, 9:38:06 AM2/18/21
to pico...@googlegroups.com
Hi Stefan,

The first boot can take some time as it expands to fill the SD card and then reboots itself. Make sure power is disconnected before inserting the card, then plug it in and wait. The button on the bottom of the DGTPi is not a power button for the Pi.

If you can hook up a monitor, you can see what's happening. Try again from a fresh burn - I use belanaEtcher - and if you are still having issues we can look into it further.

Randy

Stefan Lozinsky

Feb 18, 2021, 11:07:34 AM2/18/21
to PicoChess
Thank you Randy - All working great now.  Was using win32diskimager but tried belanaEtcher instead.  Thank you!

RandyR

Feb 18, 2021, 11:10:29 AM2/18/21
to PicoChess
That's great news, Stefan!

Enjoy.

Randy

Kyle Washington

Feb 18, 2021, 1:22:49 PM2/18/21
to PicoChess
I have used the Desktop image on my Pi4 successfully for a week now. I've edited the picochess.ini file and restarted, and it's teaching me a lot about the Pi hardware and software, which is a nice bonus.

Just for fun. I'm going to download the Lite image now onto another card and see if I can get it to work... but I don't know why I would need this version (except for me just wanting to learn).  What advantage is there to having a version without the desktop interface?

Kyle

RandyR

Feb 18, 2021, 1:35:58 PM2/18/21
to PicoChess
Hi Kyle,

Not much benefit when using an RPi4. The Lite image is better suited to the stock DGTPi or an RPi3. The Desktop version is basically the Lite version with a desktop gui and some extra software. Picochess is the same, as are the engines included.

Randy

Thomas Adrian

Feb 18, 2021, 5:02:45 PM2/18/21
to PicoChess
Thanks, Could you please update the readme files with feature list and changelog for each release

RandyR

Feb 18, 2021, 5:30:03 PM2/18/21
to PicoChess
Do you mean picochess features? Picochess changelog? Like here?

Or just changes I make to the image(s)?

Randy

Thomas Adrian

Feb 18, 2021, 5:55:39 PM2/18/21
to PicoChess
Thanks for the link, hadn’t seen that. Enough to include that link in the readme I guess

I find it a bit hard to follow when there are new releases. I only see v3, is there more than one version 3? How can I tell which one I have installed.

btw, I am using the web ui in my ipad and just discovered that the ipad/safari webpage talks. But I can’t get it to only say the opponents move, I have tried to set user voice to off but that does not help. Also noticed that if I use the web ui voice I can’t disable the beep from the clock.  Is this some known bugs or can I fix it somehow?

RandyR

Feb 18, 2021, 6:54:27 PM2/18/21
to PicoChess
v3 is the latest version of the picochess code, based on Dirk's github site linked in the previous post. Some files were too large and are not included in the files there (mame, some voices, etc.). If you are using one of my images, I always announce on this forum when I update them. You can check the date of the SD card image inside the .7z file that you have downloaded and compare it to the date of the last post I made announcing a new image. Unfortunately there is no way to pin a thread, or lock it and allow editing by the OP (as far as I know), which would allow me to have just one message to update. Maybe this will change in the future if we decide to move to a new forum/format/website.

As for the webserver, there is currently no simple way through the interface to have only one side announced. I suppose it was originally intended for someone not in the same location to watch the game. But now, people are using it next to the board. Maybe Dirk or Shiv can add that capability. :^)

You should be able to disable the beeps using the System - Sound menu (set to Never). If you mean the beep when the DGTPi is starting up, let me know and I'll describe how to disable that.

Randy

Kyle Washington

Feb 18, 2021, 7:45:26 PM2/18/21
to PicoChess
I tried the Lite version, and it booted.  I even see it on my list of network devices, so it connects to Wifi just fine.  But the web server doesn't launch.  So yeah, I think I'm going back to the full Desktop version!

Randy Reade

Feb 18, 2021, 7:50:59 PM2/18/21
to pico...@googlegroups.com
Webserver is enabled on both images. Just type the ip address into a browser and it should show up.

Randy

RandyR

Feb 20, 2021, 12:16:31 PM2/20/21
to PicoChess
I have updated my images to include Al's Stockfish 13 compiles. The links are the same:

Desktop (4.4 GB)

Lite  (3.6 GB)

Randy

Peter Esser

Feb 20, 2021, 1:25:37 PM2/20/21
to RandyR
Hallo RandyR,

Thank you Randy. If you ever have this image for Raspberry 4b or Raspberry 3b stand alone, think of me. Greetings Peter

Saturday, February 20, 2021, 6:16:31 PM, schriebst Du:

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
Peter Esser

Randy Reade

Feb 20, 2021, 2:05:41 PM2/20/21
to pico...@googlegroups.com
Hi Peter.

It's really easy to alter the images for stand-alone, especially if the RPi is on a network or you have a keyboard/monitor attached.

Randy

Peter Esser

Feb 21, 2021, 2:33:33 AM2/21/21
to Randy Reade
Hallo Randy,

That's why I need a finished IMG. My Linux knowledge is very limited. What do I have to do after the network, keyboard and monitor?

Saturday, February 20, 2021, 8:05:29 PM, schriebst Du:

Hi Peter.

It's really easy to alter the images for stand-alone, especially if the RPi is on a network or you have a keyboard/monitor attached.

Randy

RandyR

Feb 21, 2021, 11:27:30 AM2/21/21
to PicoChess
Hi Peter,

I have attached instructions which you can use to switch the image to use in a stand-alone Pi. Take your time and follow the instructions exactly. If you have questions, ask. If you run into problems, just reflash the image and try again. You don't even need any linux knowledge.

Good luck.

Randy

Stand-alone Instructions.txt

Kyle Washington

Feb 21, 2021, 8:31:41 PM2/21/21
to PicoChess
This does work great, Randy.  I have done it a couple of times now, and I appreciate having the instructions all in one place!  When I reboot, my speaker says "Picochess" followed by "Engine Setup."  That's how I know it's working.  I have printed this file and I will keep it handy!  I appreciate you taking the time to do this for us in the non-Linux world.

Right now, I have the opposite problem.  I finally fashioned a cable similar to the one on Jurgen's How to page, and I connected it to my clock and the Pi.  I edited the /boot/config.txt and un-commented the DGTPI=True line.  I also un-commented out the two lines for core_freq in the two different places in the picochess.ini file.  I disconnected the clock to board cable.  I set the clock to Mode 25 as I did before, and I rebooted the Pi.  Nothing.  I re-commented out the same thing in reverse, and I get the "Picochess" and "Engine Setup" message.  But when I do the reverse (or when I start with a flashed image), nothing happens.

At first glance, it does sound like a cable problem.  But when I use an electrical meter, the tip of my cable shows continuity to the two pins for SCL, the middle section shows continuity to the SDA pins, and the bottom section tests ok for Ground.  So my assumption is that the cable is fine and it's something I'm doing wrong on the INI files.  But, since it also failed to work with the flashed image, it makes me wonder about my cable.  I will admit that I'm new to Dupont cables and jumpers, but the continuity was there so I thought it was ok.  Maybe it's not.  Has anyone else tried this with a DGT 3000 and a homemade cable so that it should emulate a DGT Pi?  I am open to try anything.

Some pictures:

Clock.jpg
My clock after rebooting the Pi using the direct cable.

Pi cable 2.jpg
Audio cable on the left, stripped and jumpered with smaller JST connectors so that it can interface with larger wires.

Pi cable 1.jpg
Larger wires coming into the pins on the Rpi, put into an Argon M2 case so it has the extra clarity on the pin positions.  It's not very clear in this picture, but I'm positive I have them in the same pin positions that Jurgen told us to!
DGT Pi True.jpg
I re-enabled dgtpi = True

Core Freq.jpg
I re-enabled the core_freq lines in both places.

Ideas are welcome!

Kyle

Randy Reade

Feb 21, 2021, 8:53:32 PM2/21/21
to pico...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kyle. I’m not overly familiar with the mod, since I never tried it myself, but I thought I read that the pins are different between the RPi3 and RPi4. There should be some old threads on here about that, or I’m mis-remembering. Perhaps someone who has done the mod on the RPi4 can assist.

As for the clock, you don’t need to set mode 25, the dgtpicom.so file will take care of that when picochess starts. Also, you can start with the clock turned off, just power ON the Pi. With a newly flashed image, give it time to expand and reboot. You should get the DGT P| message on the clock, and a beep. If not, then I’d suspect incorrect wiring.

Randy

RandyR

Feb 21, 2021, 9:00:46 PM2/21/21
to PicoChess
See this post, Kyle.

Randy

Kyle Washington

Feb 21, 2021, 9:38:43 PM2/21/21
to PicoChess
Oh, yay! That means it could be something simple and not something with my wiring - lol!  I'll test it with a Pi 3 first, and then I'll try these suggestions on the Pi 4.  Thank you!  I really enjoy this forum...

Kyle

Peter Esser

Feb 22, 2021, 4:28:50 AM2/22/21
to RandyR
Hallo RandyR,
Thank you. Runs great! Peter

Sunday, February 21, 2021, 5:27:30 PM, schriebst Du:

Kyle Washington

Feb 22, 2021, 1:05:42 PM2/22/21
to PicoChess
DGT Pi 1.jpgDGT Pi 2.jpg
SUCCESS!!  I tried the Raspi3B, and it worked great!  I have the ELO set to 800 and it still beat me, but that's because I stink at chess.  That's the whole reason I got into this Picochess business so I could learn with a real board.  It was more of a competitive game for me though, which thrills me to pieces.  This is what I wanted!

Now I'll back up and try the suggested pins on the Pi4.  Thank you everyone for the suggestions...

Kyle

Kyle Washington

Feb 22, 2021, 3:32:44 PM2/22/21
to PicoChess
I followed the instructions from the posted thread, and they seem pretty easy to follow.  I don't have a wire for power and my ground wire was on a different pin, but that doesn't seem to matter much.  The good news is that I reboot the Pi, and it mostly works.  I usually get "Failed to start DGTPi Hello" in the startup script, and I don't get that.  Something is working.  The clock doesn't show the same success messages I show in my previous two photos, but it does give the audible cues.  If I look at the Pi via the Webserver, it all looks file.  I can play a game.  Voice prompts are fine.

But the clock shows 15:10 for each player, then the display goes to all dashes.  The Computer icon and the arrows both appear, but no text.  I've read through most of the posted thread to see if I need to download the two updated files from Github, but I suspect those changes from July might be in the latest image?  I'll keep reading.  But I wanted to post what I see now in case someone else has come across this.

Kyle

Message has been deleted

RandyR

Feb 22, 2021, 4:23:54 PM2/22/21
to PicoChess
Sorry for deleting that message - there was a mistake in the attached file. Let's try this again:

Kyle,

If you are using the Pi4 (wired to the DGT3000) and the Lite image, you will have to add a couple lines to the /boot/config.txt in the [pi4] section. They are as follows:

core_freq=500
core_freq_min=500

Also, the edits for the DGTPi should be commented out, or moved from the bottom of the config.txt file or else they will override the [pi4] edits. Probably wouldn't cause any issues.

I would suggest using the Desktop image, though.

I have attached the modified config.txt file. Remember, it's for the Lite version only!! You can just copy it to the boot partition after flashing the Lite image, the same place you would copy your wpa_supplicant.conf file.

And, yes, the versions of dgtpicom and dgtpicom.so are the versions from Lucas' Github release of 03 Aug 2020. See this post which was a couple months after my previous link.

You can test the communication to the clock by issuing the following commands:

sudo service picochess stop
cd /opt/picochess/etc
sudo ./dgtpicom "hello kyle" 1 31 15

Which should print the message on the clock, show the flags, show the side icons, and beep.

Randy
config.txt

Kyle Washington

Feb 22, 2021, 9:43:31 PM2/22/21
to PicoChess
Thank you sir - I will try that.  I never got my Lite image to work and I'm not sure why... but I feel a bit more educated about the whole thing now.  I'll try it again in a bit.

Here is a quick mp4 video of me booting the Pi4 with a fresh Desktop image.  It is the stock voice instead of Al, but it gives the same error as my current Desktop image.  So perhaps I have things on the wrong pins?

I have the SDA on  3 jumpered to 19, SCL on 5 jumpered to 23, and GND on 9.  Pi Cable 3.jpg

It's about time for me to leave to take my daughter to Dance class, but maybe this will help everyone spot my obvious error, and then I can try something new when I get home this evening!

Kyle

(Returns 2 hours later and finds that message did not post)

It seems that my mpeg file is too large to post... so I'll describe it here instead.  I do not get the same messages on the clock that I usually get.  The computer icon and the arrows appear, then all 0s for both sides.  Audibly everything sounds great - but the time reverts to all dashes.

If I start a game, it all seems fine with the web server and with the audio.  So it seems that the issue may be with the wire that tells the clock what to do.  In fact, I loaded the Lite image as you mentioned above, and it also works!  There is no audio, but the web server works fine and I can play a game... I just don't get any notification on the clock as to what piece to move because it only shows dashes.  After a move, it does show the remaining time for me and for the computer.

When I tried the clock test commands you mentioned, I do not get flags, beeps, or a message.  The dashes disappear, and the clock shows 0.00 for both players.  The Computer icon and the bidirectional arrows disappear as well.

Randy Reade

Feb 22, 2021, 10:01:56 PM2/22/21
to pico...@googlegroups.com
That's frustrating. But if the dgtpicom command didn't work, it's got to be wiring or bad hardware. One thing - did you check the firmware version of the clock? I think Jürgen's article explains how to check it. Also, not having done this mod myself, I don't know if there's any difference between using the clock jack or wiring directly from the 'inside. Hopefully someone who has done the mod will help you out.

Audio and webserver will work because they don't rely on the clock.

You'll figure it out eventually.  😊

Randy

RandyR

Feb 22, 2021, 11:27:35 PM2/22/21
to PicoChess
On second thought, if it worked with the Pi3, the clock must be fine. Disregard that idea. 🤪

Etienne Chaffanjon

BrianL

Feb 23, 2021, 7:12:29 AM2/23/21
to PicoChess
Those settings don't work for me.
I have RPI4 and the Desktop version connected as DGTPI.

If I set the core frequency  and core freq min to 500. the DGT3000 clock doesn't work correctly.

With both set to 250 it all works fine.
Don't know why mine seems different to everyone elses.

Kyle Washington

Feb 23, 2021, 5:13:21 PM2/23/21
to PicoChess
Just for fun, I made that same adjustment - it still doesn't work.  Even though it connects on the Pi3, it still seems as if it may be wiring?

The wires on the audio cable are SO SMALL - it wouldn't take much for something to come loose I guess.  I'll try to make another cable outright tonight and see if it does any differently.

Peter Eßer

Feb 24, 2021, 2:07:45 AM2/24/21
to PicoChess
Hello Randy: I implemented your instruction Stockfish 13 DGT PI to standalone. But when I do the 2nd move the DGT 3000 clock stops!?. Greetings Peter

Charles Declercq

Feb 24, 2021, 2:29:24 AM2/24/21
to 'Dirk' via PicoChess
Hello.
I had the same problem with the new desktop IMG  (and Stockfish 13). Blocking after the second movement.
I went back to the old version.
Best.

Pensez à l'environnement ! N'imprimez ce mail que si c'est vraiment nécessaire.

RandyR

Feb 24, 2021, 8:10:56 AM2/24/21
to PicoChess
Peter and Charles,

That is interesting. There was a build of SF 13 that didn’t have the NNUE file embedded, which caused PicoTutor to hang, but I didn’t think it made it into my image. I will check and report back. In the meantime, you can try StockfishNN which is the same engine. You can also try disabling PicoTutor (PicoWatcher/PicoCoach).

I did upload new images Monday, but I think the engines were not changed - I only added a text file for the stand-alone change procedure.

I’ll test this morning.

Randy

RandyR

Feb 24, 2021, 10:21:04 AM2/24/21
to PicoChess
Peter and Charles,

I just tested the Desktop image on the DGTPi and stand-alone RPi4 with USB board and clock cable.  Stockfish 13 and StockfishNN are both working for me with PicoTutor enabled. Can you try downloading the image again? That's the one I tested just now.

Or did you mean a different engine?

Randy