PicoChess v3.3 Bookworm Images [20 May 2024]

RandyR

May 20, 2024, 8:48:56 PMMay 20
to PicoChess
Hi everyone,

I have updated the 64-bit Desktop and Lite images for RPiOS Bookworm as well as the Wine image. They contain a fix for the low volume on the DGTPi when using the Lite image, and a fix from Dirk M. for when using the DGTPi you select no-eboard when not connected to the network and get locked out of the menu on reboot (NOTE: if you ARE connected to a network, you will be able to select no-eboard and lose menu input on the DGTPi, requiring you to either use the web browser interface or connect via ssh and fix the mistake). Also, Dirk provided files to support the latest MAME engines. Thanks Dirk!

The version has been bumped to v3.3.

As before, please read the documentation. The links (below) are unchanged.

Randy

64-bit Bookworm Lite (4.6GB)

64-bit Bookworm Desktop (5.2 GB)

64-bit Bookworm Desktop with Wine (5.7 GB)

Marc Hamilton

May 21, 2024, 11:13:22 AMMay 21
to PicoChess
Can I replace my current Python files with the Python files in Picochess 3.3, 64-bit Bookworm Desktop version and achieve this update for the Desktop version?  My current Python files are from the last update before this one.

Dirk

May 21, 2024, 11:18:40 AMMay 21
to PicoChess
Hi Marc,

yes, (we) you can!

But keep in mind that the latest mame updates for the new retro engines (in case you are interested in these) are part of the engine/mame_emulation and of the aarch64/mame folders which you also would have to update.

Dirk

RandyR

May 24, 2024, 7:43:50 PMMay 24
to PicoChess
Just a heads-up that there might be issues with the artwork on some of the new retro engines that can cause the machine to not respond when artwork is enabled. I should have an update soon.

Randy

Henri

May 25, 2024, 5:59:05 PMMay 25
to PicoChess
Now that I use the right roms (thanks again Randy), I played around with a couple of retro-engines. Only the retro artwork of the Mephisto Monte Carlo did not show up. The Saitek Renaissance (Set1) gets in some kind of loop while selecting options in the retro artwork and does not complete the engine setup. And finally a detail in the Novag Super VIP uci: The SD levels are for the complete game,  not for a move.

Apart from these small issues, I enjoy the great work that has been done and is still in progress!

Henri

Randy Reade

May 25, 2024, 6:14:09 PMMay 25
to pico...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the feedback, Henri. I'm hoping to have an update tomorrow. Dirk fixed a tricky bug with one of the new machines and we are rearranging the artwork as there were some problems noticed while testing. I'll check those issues you mentioned.

Randy

Dirk

May 26, 2024, 5:00:50 AMMay 26
to 'Dirk' via PicoChess
Hi Henry & Randy,

Mephisto Monte Carlo (2 different versions) do show up with artwork on my system. Must be a minor script bug in the image.

Novag Super VIP has correct time definitions in my uci file - Randy can check this in his files (he did extra work by defining two different adjusted uci sets for DGTPI/lite and desktop images - thank you for this)

Renaissance indeed has problems now - I am examining the cause…

Dirk.

Dirk

May 26, 2024, 5:51:01 AMMay 26
to PicoChess
I fixed the Renaissance plugin and will send it to Randy.

Additionally I applied the fix for SciSys Sensor Chess plugin found in schachcomputer.info forum which otherwise could cause problems to detect the move. I will send it to Randy as well.
Thanks to Franz  and Tibono for the fix.
Dirk

Randy Reade

May 26, 2024, 12:35:04 PMMay 26
to pico...@googlegroups.com
Hi Henri,

Monte Carlo IV artwork is working for me as well (my image only has montec4 defined in the all_retro.ini file). Perhaps it will work for you with the next artwork update. I have fixed the nsvip.uci file(s). Thanks for pointing it out.

Randy