PicoChess v3.3 Bookworm Images [27 May 2024]

RandyR

May 27, 2024, 11:49:11ā€ÆPMMay 27
to PicoChess
Hi everyone,

I have updated the 64-bit Desktop and Lite images for RPiOS Bookworm as well as the Wine image. They have some fixes for the retro Tasc R30 machines as well as some level adjustments for various retro engines. Thanks again to Dirk for the assistance and Henri for the testing. The changed files are in this post if you don't want to re-download the full image(s).

As before, please read the documentation. The links (below) are unchanged.

Randy

64-bit Bookworm LiteĀ (4.6 GB)

64-bit Bookworm DesktopĀ (5.2 GB)

64-bit Bookworm Desktop with WineĀ (5.8 GB)

Henri

May 28, 2024, 8:24:58ā€ÆAMMay 28
to PicoChess
Hi Randy, Dirk,

Had a look at the retro engine section, I fear that is still some work to be done. Here are my results for now.
Tests on Wine image with Pi 5 attached to monitor, Copied zip files, not tested new image
Disclaimer: Due to many reboots and restarts I am not 100% sure about the observations

BREA Intelect-02 - Plays but no pieces on the retro-layout board
Great Game Machine Sandy [ggm] - Layout opens with untidy placed pieces and 1.d4, Nf6 on the board. Plays, but pieces on the retro-layout do not move
Great Game Machine Steinitz [ggm] - Engine name is for both engines the same in the player section of the web-layout, that is quite common in this section
ARB Sargon 4.0 GM Series - Does not start, I see the retro-layout coming up for an instant and then picochess hangs, name for 3.0 and 4.0 in name of players is the same: Auto Response Board
Chess Challenger [cc1] - Plays, but pieces on the retro-layout board do not move
Chess Challenger [cc3] - Plays, but pieces on the retro-layout board do not move
Chess Challenger [cc7] - Plays, but pieces on the retro-layout board do not move
Chess Challenger [cc10] - Plays, but pieces on the retro-layout board do not move
Voice Chess Challenger (set 1) [vcc] - Plays, but pieces on the retro-layout board do not move
Chess Traveler [chesstrv] - Plays, but pieces on the retro-layout board do not move
Super Sensor IV [ssensor] - Plays at maximum speed, though set to 100%
Super VIP (v3.7) [nsvip] - Shows (pos), not (pos+info) in web-layout
Saitek Simultano - 'No engine artwork file', shows former engine retro-layout and engine
Chess Champion: Mark VI/Philidor [ccmk6] - Shows moves on small analysis-board, not on large main board (normal?)
Scisys section: Typo: Scisys, SciSys in name engine Ā
SciSys Chess Companion - Engine does not start
SciSys Executive Chess - Engine does not start

Can it be that I am missing a few engines (Mephisto 2, Mephisto 3 for sure)?

Heads up guys! :)

Henri

Randy Reade

May 28, 2024, 9:12:56ā€ÆAMMay 28
to pico...@googlegroups.com
Sounds like it's getting worse rather than better. šŸ˜© I appreciate the testing, Henri. I don't think I touched any of those machines, though. I'll check them shortly. I know that for some of the custom artwork, they are just pictures soon probably best to use internal artwork for those.

Randy

Henri

May 28, 2024, 9:18:03ā€ÆAMMay 28
to PicoChess
Looking at it from a 'positive' angle; the problems are mainly concerned with newly added engines/art designs. Many of them were new to me, and I was blown away by there beauty!

Henri

Dirk

May 28, 2024, 9:33:20ā€ÆAMMay 28
to 'Dirk' via PicoChess
Hi Henri, hi Randy,

yes, the artwork files by Luis are indeed really nice and the fact that you see most of them for the first time explains that you are not aware of the fact that pieces on an a chess board only move if it is an electronic one (meaning some kind of LEDs or self mover) otherwise there is nothing to be emulated and hence no piece movement via plugins.
All engines your mentioned without moving pieces do not have an electronic board hence the pieces donā€™t move - it is just a photo of some pieces on the board which will stay where the are ;-))))))

Mark VI: Indeed this would be an electronic board but it is not supported in mame (yet!?) so no moving pieces.

Names duo not change on the artwork for machines having just different rom cartridge but same artwork file (Franz might do this in CBemu by modifying his CBEmu program. We use standard mame which does not support this at the moment).

Regarding pos + info display: it depends if the plugin supports these additional function - if one function has not been implemented it is not shown (makes sense?)
Chess Companion: indeed: the names have changed for this machine: instead of company only compan etc. We have to adjust it (in plugin, retro.ini, and start_scripts).

All other engines do start on my system - must be some typo in the scriptures tec. In the image - I am sure Randy will find and fix them ;-)

Thanks for having such a detailed look, Henri!

Enjoy the artwork - that makes playing the retro engines really special in PicoChess!

Dirk

Henri

May 28, 2024, 10:31:19ā€ÆAMMay 28
to PicoChess
Hi Dirk, Randy,

Ha, photos of pieces, so no movement. That narrows down the list of troubles quite a bit. Maybe it is an idea to put in a disclaimer for suckers like me! :))

Henri

vcc.jpg

Dirk

May 28, 2024, 10:35:38ā€ÆAMMay 28
to PicoChess
Unknown.jpeg

Randy Reade

May 28, 2024, 10:49:06ā€ÆAMMay 28
to pico...@googlegroups.com
šŸ˜

To fix ARB, rename your rom from gms40.zip to gms4.zip. There's also an issue with the custom artwork which doesn't affect the machine and is not noticeable. I'll see if Dirk has an update.

Randy