Raspberry Pi 2B + DGT (serial to USB) + DGT XL

Murray Steenkamp

Mar 5, 2017, 11:22:46 AM3/5/17
to PicoChess
Hi guys, I am fairly new to these stuff and need help to connect a Raspberry Pi 2B + DGT board (serial to USB) + DGT XL. Can this be done with PicoChess? Is there a how to manual and Raspberry Pi image? Which versions etc?

I would like to play against the computer but also broadcast live games with FTP to a site..

Any help will be appreciated

Murray Steenkamp

Mar 5, 2017, 11:32:19 AM3/5/17
to PicoChess
Or if I can get it to work on the Pi1, even better...

Bredo Øveraas

Mar 5, 2017, 12:46:40 PM3/5/17
to PicoChess

Murray Steenkamp

Mar 5, 2017, 1:16:59 PM3/5/17
to PicoChess
Thanks, yes, busy with that. Hope it works with my configuration.

Can live games be streamed with PicoChess?

Murray Steenkamp

Mar 5, 2017, 2:34:17 PM3/5/17
to PicoChess
Great, got it to work! Any help available on how to connect to the Internet and publish live game to be followed on the Internet?

Jürgen Précour

Mar 5, 2017, 3:04:26 PM3/5/17
to PicoChess
Hi Murray,

picochess will also run on an old PI1. But there is only 1 engine installed (zurichess) out of the box.
You have to do this yourself, if y want some other engines (stockfish is a good choice for example).
Please also take into account, that im not aware of someone still using a PI1, so its even its working right now you'd better take a pi2,pi3

For your Q concerning "file games" i dont understand what exactly y want to reach (there is an internal webserver)

Jürgen

Murray Steenkamp

Mar 5, 2017, 3:36:42 PM3/5/17
to PicoChess
Pi2 will work for now. Excellent app!

How does the web server work? Can I see the moves being made?

I have a java website (hosted in the cloud) that can interpret the pgn files uploaded to it. It is therefore possible to follow a game on the Internet. I can do this with DGT's LiveChess app. But I would like to do it without the PC and only with the Pi... Any suggestions?

Regards

Shivkumar Shivaji

Mar 5, 2017, 3:43:20 PM3/5/17
to pico...@googlegroups.com
Yes, the webserver will show live the game being played. You should start the program with -w and the webserver is at the IP address :8080.

Murray Steenkamp

Mar 9, 2017, 12:13:56 PM3/9/17
to PicoChess
How can I start the webserver in the service?  Would like to start it at startup of the Raspberry Pi.

I am still struggling to get the application running with -w or -web.  I am using 0.79 (couldn't get the wifi going on 0.83) and get the error WARNING:root:illegal data in message 145 found...

On Sun, Mar 5, 2017 at 12:36 PM, Murray Steenkamp <stee...@gmail.com> wrote:
Pi2 will work for now. Excellent app!

How does the web server work? Can I see the moves being made?

I have a java website (hosted in the cloud) that can interpret the pgn files uploaded to it. It is therefore possible to follow a game on the Internet. I can do this with DGT's LiveChess app. But I would like to do it without the PC and only with the Pi... Any suggestions?

Regards

Al

Mar 9, 2017, 1:06:43 PM3/9/17
to PicoChess
Hi Murray,

The webserver is started automatically at PicoChess start-up.

To log onto it, open a new browser page and type your RPi IP address which is something like 1.192.168.xx, or type raspberrypi.local

You should then see your game etc. Some people need to uncomment 'web-server = 8080' in their /opt/picochess/picochess.ini file, but I've never needed to do this.

Cheers,

Al.

Murray Steenkamp

Mar 9, 2017, 2:57:35 PM3/9/17
to PicoChess
I still cannot access the website. Tried from my laptop using Chrome: 192.168.8.113:8080 and without the port. I can ping the Raspberry Pi but no luck via the browser

Al

Mar 9, 2017, 3:12:05 PM3/9/17
to PicoChess
Hi Murray,

You shouldn't need it, but you can try http://192.168.8.113 if you haven't turned on 'web-server = 8080' in your picochess.ini file, or http://192.168.8.113:8080 if you have.

The only other thing I can think of is that file /etc/systemd/system/picochess.service was changed with the introduction of PicoChess v0.81

The line 'ExecStart=/usr/bin/python3 /opt/picochess/picochess.py -w' is required after v0.81 but before that version the 'w' at the end of the line should be 'web'.

Cheers,

Al.

Murray Steenkamp

Mar 9, 2017, 3:36:06 PM3/9/17
to PicoChess
Brilliant, it's working. -web did it! Thanks!!!

Now my next question. What does the sync and broadcast buttons do? I want to view the game on the board via the Internet. Therefor I need to publish / broadcast the game somewhere. Any ideas how I can do this?

Al

Mar 9, 2017, 4:09:09 PM3/9/17
to PicoChess
Hi Murray,

The Sync button, syncronises the web board to your PicoChess board, so if you use the web browser part way through a game, you can use Sync.

As for Broadcast, I don't think it's in use yet. Hopefully Jürgen is reading this and can explain, it's probably for later use?

Cheers,

Al.

Jürgen Precour

Mar 10, 2017, 10:07:10 AM3/10/17
to PicoChess
Hi,

first of all, it would have been better to get this service to work by your picochess.ini file.
This is better for (auto) update (lateron), cause picochess itself cant reach your service file.
But ok, it is working now.

"Broadcast" button:
this will transmit the current situation of webserver to its listeners.
And its not for the future, its working since pablo dev'ed the "remote play" mode several months ago ;-)
With this y can transmit some other position to the gamers/watchers, and therefore i will display

'Received position from Spectators!'

below the board.
Undoubtly this "remote mode" is not explained (in detail) somewhere, so i guess almost noone uses it to play over iNet with another humans;-)

As y can image from the above, there is a websocket system running. So, if write an application to connect to this, y can get all info's y want.
Perhaps y study the "server.py" for this.

Jürgen

Mete Yücel

Mar 18, 2017, 3:31:59 AM3/18/17
to PicoChess
It is better of you buy the DGT 3000 pi clock