"Replay PGN" Engine Option

Marc Hamilton

Apr 22, 2022, 9:01:26 PM4/22/22
to PicoChess
I notified Al Cooper that the engine menu option "replay pgn" was not functioning on my DGT PI (V3).
We sort of worked together to get it functioning today. It allows you to have the Pi call out moves for both sides and you can replay games if you have the pgn data.
Besides some canned options, it allows you to play back saved games 1, 2 and 3 and your Last Game, so it's fairly easy to replay any game, move for move if you have the by saving it to the /opt/picochess/games/ folder as picochess_game_1.pgn, ... game_2.pgn ...game_3.pgn

Here's an example video of this functionality where Al and a team of 3 others plays Garry Kaspraov in a charity, exhibition even in 1993.

Scally

Apr 23, 2022, 3:50:42 AM4/23/22
to PicoChess
Hi Marc,

Yes we got there, our structures are a little different but it’s good to know that the pgn_engine written by Dirk and compiled for Raspbian Buster still works on Raspbian Bullseye, I was half expecting that we would need a new compile (only Dirk has the source code).

Yes that game was 29 years ago but I remember it well. Analysing the game several years later on Stockfish, I saw that we missed a mate in 9 at one point and at the end we had a totally won game as our pawn is unstoppable. On the day we were so happy to accept the draw, shake hands and get a nice prize. I still have the Kasparov signed chess board today 😄

You might want to change the spelling of Kasparov in your video 😉

Cheers,

Al.

Scally

Apr 23, 2022, 3:52:57 AM4/23/22
to PicoChess
Oh, I forgot to say, the pgn was analysed by our own Shiv and his comments are within the pgn file. It is mentioned within my introduction to the video.

Al.

Marc Hamilton

Apr 23, 2022, 10:29:14 AM4/23/22
to PicoChess
Yes, I didn't spell Mr. Kasparov's name correctly in the video (I need a red-face emoji), so I'm correcting that. Here is the new link https://youtu.be/ayBi3FWTDrs
You may be able to see Shiv's analysis comments in the upper right part of the analysis inset. I do see this engine call out "mate in 11" at the 7:00 mark, I put a timestamp in the description.
Analysis shows black has an advantage when the game concluded.
The full PGN file is in the description of the video.
 Good stuff...

Marc Hamilton

Apr 23, 2022, 7:11:15 PM4/23/22
to PicoChess
The cool thing about the replay PGN is, I had a past game (chess.com), that I didn't record by video, or I may have simply reached up and turned the camera off when I thought I had no chance of winning. My opponent played at an accuracy move rating of 96.5%, I played a dismal 51%. On move 30 I checkmated him down 9 in material.
Now, I can recreate the game with the Pi calling out the moves with 2-3 second spacing, so I don't even have to edit out the duration between moves. I simply load it into /opt/picochess/games/picochess_game_1.pgn and select Replay PGN from my Favorites, select Saved Game 1 and the Pi will recreate the game move for move. It's just such cool functionality.

Randy Reade

Apr 23, 2022, 10:51:06 PM4/23/22
to pico...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mark,

I think you know this, but just in case others are wondering, if you save the game through the menu, you will be able to use the pgn_replay engine to replay the game and see Stockfish analysis as well. Just select the game after choosing the pgn_replay engine then press the lever on the clock (or via the webserver) to begin the move announcements.

Randy

Mark HL

Apr 24, 2022, 9:09:08 AM4/24/22
to pico...@googlegroups.com
I did see some additional functionality from the menu, I wasn't previously aware of. "Play Saved".

Okay, dumb question, how do you see the SF analysis. I saw a-stockf was referenced in the .UCI but hadn't made the connection to analysis (in my head) yet.

Sent from my Samsung Tab S7

Apr 24, 2022, 9:25:17 AM4/24/22
to pico...@googlegroups.com

Mark HL

Apr 24, 2022, 9:39:08 AM4/24/22
to pico...@googlegroups.com
Okay, I often use that during a game to see which color has the advantage.

Sent from my Samsung Tab S7

Sent: Sunday, April 24, 2022 6:25:03 AM

Randy Reade

Apr 24, 2022, 9:59:25 AM4/24/22
to pico...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, maybe score would be a better word than analysis.

m371...@gmail.com

Apr 24, 2022, 10:50:17 AM4/24/22
to pico...@googlegroups.com

One more video to highlight the functionality of the replay pgn option.

This is the match I spoke about earlier where the guy was playing at a 96.5% move accuracy. He had several games similar to this type of play and I asked chess.com to run their algorithms on him to see if he was cheating, but he was never flagged.

https://youtu.be/dzHgXx22MhU

Sent from Mail for Windows