Remote_Engine

Wilhelm

Jun 29, 2024, 3:04:27 AM (4 days ago) Jun 29
to PicoChess
Hello Randy

After a long time I wanted to get the remote engines up and running again, but I can't do it.

I have set up the necessary settings and files in Picochess and the PC - I think.

Starting from your Wine images

In picoches
I select the remote-stockfish16 engine
Then I select a level.

Now the engine is loaded into memory on my Win11 PC. I can see this in the task manager:

Background processes (xx)
> remote_stockfish16.exe      0%      105.0MB      0MB/s      0MBit/s

The CPU load is 0%. Nothing is happening now. Picochess seems to be waiting for a request. I have attached a log file of this state. (Log1.txt)

If I open a window with CMD from the PC, establish an ssh connection to the Raspberry and then establish another ssh connection to the PC, navigate to the engine, start it and enter the commands manually:
uci
ucinewgame
isready
position startpos moves e2e4
go

the engine starts and begins to calculate. (CMD.txt)

In the task manager it looks like this:
Background processes (xx)
> remote_stockfish16.exe      12.5%      ​​105.0MB      0MB/s      0MBit/s

What did I forget to do to get the remote engine running? Can you help me?

Wilhelm
Log1.log
CMD.txt

Randy Reade

Jun 29, 2024, 2:04:23 PM (4 days ago) Jun 29
to pico...@googlegroups.com
Hi Wilhelm,

I don't see anything in the log but I also don't see any moves being made. It sounds like you have it set up correctly since the engine is starting. Are you sure you aren't still in book?

I can't really check on my system as I'm away for a few weeks.

Randy

Wilhelm

Jun 30, 2024, 1:45:44 AM (3 days ago) Jun 30
to PicoChess
Hello Randy,

the last message I get from Picochess (visual and acoustic) is: "Engine setup".
There is no "OK Engine".
The display stays frozen and nothing happens. I can't cancel the process or go back to the old engine. Only a restart helps.

But there's no rush and it can wait until you get home.
Wilhelm

Dirk

Jun 30, 2024, 2:34:36 AM (3 days ago) Jun 30
to pico...@googlegroups.com
Hi Wilhelm, hi Randy,

Unfortunately I am not at home as well so I can’t check anything on my systems for at least some more days.
I don’t use the remote engines anymore since I can now run all my windows and linux remote engines locally on my picochess computers via wine and box.

When you haven’t changed the configuration in the picochess.ini file and it worked before maybe …

A) something has changed on your windows machine (by updates)
B) there are again problems with the windows communication (for which we needed the modification of paramiko some time ago
C) we have changed something in the uci engine communication in picochess (for mame or the automatic elo level adaption) that now causes problems in the remote uci communication

Since your manual uci commands do seem to work via ssh and you said the stockfish process on your remote windows computer gets started (but does obviously nothing)
it might be C) and not A) or B

Wilhelm, could you check with an older image (when you were sure the the remote communication did work) and check if the older image does work?

Then it would be interesting what picochess version number this had and what raspian version (buster, bookworm, 32 or 64 bit…)

Dirk

Wilhelm

Jul 1, 2024, 8:46:25 AM (2 days ago) Jul 1
to PicoChess
Hello Dirk, Randy

The older versions behave the same.

It's not Picochess' fault. It's my Win11 PC's fault.

The remote engines are running in conjunction with my old Win10 laptop.
 I have to keep looking to see if I can find the cause.

 I'm grateful for any tips.
 Wilhelm