Centaur Mod Informations

Dirk Sommerfeld

Nov 3, 2021, 4:42:51 AM11/3/21
to PicoChess
Hi all,
some words upfront.

This mod is only for the centaur last generation (2020-2021), without the black rings. I don't have access to one of the first versions, but I know from my first mod, hat there was a different mainboard bulid in. Without one of this old unit's I cant't say what is the problem.

It was a long way to go before it was possible to expand the DGT Centaur software with new functions. Big thanks to Ed Nekebno, who made the work on the DGT Centaur a lot easier with his decompilation. I spend a lot time to bring it on a new OS , add idea's , troubleshooting and finalize the lichess modul. This version will be available as an Image for PI Zero W  (zero2W will be tested soon). There are some different's to the original branch. If you miss feature, you can follow Ed's project.
History and motivation: A few months ago I got the ambition work on the Centaur. The result was the first mod that had written a PGN file on a USB stick. The mod went very well and has given many users a long-awaited feature. After the mod had run its course, I also got in touch with other coders who wanted to get more out of the Centaur. At that time I also had the idea to fake the actual Centaur with a proxy engine in such a way that it can no longer carry out its adaptive game. But then there was a new project what everything changed. I got in contact with Ed NeKebno who had figured out how to control the board / fields. That was a new situation. The epaper display can be bought and there is documentation about it. Reading the board was kind of awesome. The communication is unfortunately not as fast as the Centaur does it  internally, but it works. I have to say a very big thank you to EdNekobo who turned one idea after the other into code day and night. I would never have had that time and I would never have thought that it would come to such a version thanks to him. With the new option, there were three paths:
1. Emulation of a DGT board, best RevelationII (LEDS)
2. Lichess standalone emulation
 3. Playing UCI engine without adaptive mode This features make the Centaur very universal.
Whether with Picochess, chess for Android or with the Rabbit plug-in. You can use anything. Even Arena and Fritz can be controlled with it. But there are also restrictions. The DGT Board has figure recognition and the Centaur only says that something is on a field. It was therefore necessary to always carry the figure stand with you by pychess. I also can't put any figures anywhere and get started. But if you play from the basic position, everything works out wonderfully. Only WhitePawn is not working properly. The DGTPi play's games but there is today no clock on the screen. This will be fixed later. What is now also possible is controlling the LEDs in RevII mode. The lichess module was already a challenge. There was some code, but it didn't work properly. This is where I've invested my time to make it playable. Today I love playing with the Lichess module. But there are small restrictions.. In principle you can play 90-100% without any other display. Sometimes the Lichess Beserk API is slow, so that Lichess needs 1-2 seconds to confirm a move, sometimes it goes very quickly. I recommend playing games for at least 10 minutes or longer. Play slow and exactly... kicking a figure ist lift two peaces and put one back. Please follow the beeps. At the moment the following is not possible: You have to convert pawns via the web. If there is a draw by the opponent, it still has to be confirmed "currently" via the web. This also applies to claiming a victory if the opponent breaks off. This feature does not exist in the official API; often these cases do not occur, but then it is good to keep an eye on the web. I think you can live with that for the time being and it leaves room for improvement. Offering a draw or giving up, however, can be controlled with the Centaur's buttons. UP offers a draw, down is a resign, I in the moment you have the right to move. The clocks are only updated after every move. I wanted to avoid writing on the display every second. So take a look at the web or mobile phone 😉 At the moment everything is running via BT and WLAN, which makes a ZeroW conversion necessary. It is currently difficult to get one  and soldering an angle bar makes access to the mod a little more difficult. Of course, this mod  is not for someone who wants to take advantage of their remaining guarantee. You lose this when you open the device. I want to say that very clear.  In general, I got the OK from Rasmus to include the CT800 on the image. Everything finished with exchanging the supplied engine. Version 9 is replaced by a V14. The code of the V14 had been modified by Ed, so it now writes information into a database while playing. With this, the Centaur writes its own PGNs directly, which are displayed in the web interface on Port 8080. The database stores all the games ever played on the board, regardless of the mode. In addition, the turns are also displayed in the live board. Like the CT800, StockFish can also be played without an adaptive game via Elo settings in UCI mode. .....There is no change inside the original Centaur software. This was never touched. So what can you expect from the centaurV2?
 WLAN and BT capability Playing autonomous lichess with tokens DGT Board Emulator with REVII functions (LEDs) that are connected to Rabbit and co via BT.
All is based und Buster OS 10
So this is a open source mod. In this state also bugs could be. I will do my best to fix it....
Tips and hints to fix the DGTPI clock are welcome.

I know this is a picochess group here, but picochess is a important part of this mod :)
As you see in the video below... the clock shows everytime the ReveII message and don't switch back to the time? That I don't understand this. Did anyone know why? from my perspective the DGTPI(picochessweb) have the full control about the display?

How it works with DGTPI: https://youtu.be/Y2qXdUeqeko

I know that queen an king in the video are in not in the right position, it's like an easteregg ;)
Dirk

Dirk Sommerfeld

Nov 3, 2021, 2:24:56 PM11/3/21
to PicoChess
First Update....
The new PiZero2W will only work with an external power supply or power bank. The internal batterie with 3.7 Volt has not enough power zu provide the new board.
Pi Zero2 needs minimum 4Volt. It needs also more power so that the batterytime will also 50% reduced.
Looking for a version 1 is the best choice.

Dirk

Dirk Sommerfeld

Nov 5, 2021, 9:28:34 AM11/5/21
to PicoChess
Second Update:
pizero2W is fixt. I will change the image in the next hours the new version runs on both systems. The runtime of the battery will be reduced 30-50%
The old centaur (RINGS)
The different is the display. A Display change will solve the problem and a old centaur will also work.

Dirk

Luigi Vogliobene

Nov 6, 2021, 6:25:28 AM11/6/21
to PicoChess
Thank you, Dirk, great stuff ! Would you like to give us user & password for the ssh connection to the RpiZeroW ? Thank you. Luigi

Sleepy 2

Nov 6, 2021, 8:17:52 AM11/6/21
to PicoChess
Hi Dirk,
Does this mean we have to purchase an updated e-ink display for the mod to work on Centaurs with the rings ?
If so what is the part number ?
Regards,
Enzo

Dirk Sommerfeld

Nov 6, 2021, 9:26:07 AM11/6/21
to PicoChess
Enzo, I think this is the right one... https://www.waveshare.com/product/displays/e-paper/epaper-2/2.9inch-e-paper-module.htm
You found it at amazon and co

Luigi
User: pi
pwd: centaurV2

Dirk

Luigi Vogliobene

Nov 6, 2021, 12:54:05 PM11/6/21
to PicoChess
Hi Dirk, thank you. Do you plan to add some others UCI engine in the DGT Centaur V2 mod like the picochess(web) way ?
Regards.
Luigi

Dirk Sommerfeld

Nov 6, 2021, 3:08:29 PM11/6/21
to PicoChess
Luigi,
On Arm 6 I have only a handfull engines. Plan is to add MessEmu with more than 100 classical engines.
Also with the picohess connection I'm fine at all.
Let's looking forward how many time I can spend in this project.
The project is new and the workload is really high. Let's see...
Dirk

RickS

Nov 8, 2021, 3:16:55 PM11/8/21
to PicoChess
Hi Dirk, Luigi, and Enzo,
I have a Pi Zero on the way.....Do you have a quick list of steps for the update.  Let me know if these are correct:
1) Unplug and Remove the 5 screws underneath, including the 2 under the warranty.
2) Remove the installed Pi Zero. It should just pull out?
3) On the new Pi Zero WH, bend the outer pins 90 degrees and clip the inner pins
4) Can I just install a new card onto the Pi Zero with the v2 image?  or do I have to install on top of the current SD card?
5) Lightly plug in the new Pi Zero W
6) avoid nudging the e-ink display

Also, what needs to be done different with Pi Zero W 2?
Thanks!

Dirk Sommerfeld

Nov 9, 2021, 3:26:11 AM11/9/21
to PicoChess
Hi Rick,

first. The V2 did not run on a original PiZero.
PiZeroW or PiZero2W will work with the last image. Pizero2W reduce the time to run the centaur on battery.
It is a good Idea to buy a new 16GB SDCard. Please do not overwrite the original. So you could switch back all the time to the original Product.
Be carefull with the display......

Dirk

Luigi Vogliobene

Nov 9, 2021, 3:38:12 AM11/9/21
to PicoChess

Hi Rick, the steps you described are the correct ones but there is one thing to consider: from my personal experience I have found that by bending the pins by 90 degrees their length is shortened and they do not make good contact with the Centaur motherboard. . I have now purchased a second Pi Zero WH with pre-soldered pins and I hope that the length of these is adequate for the mod. If not, you will need to install some sort of pin extender if you can find it somewhere. If Dirk and the others could give any further advice I would be grateful. Luigi

Luigi Vogliobene

Nov 9, 2021, 3:50:51 AM11/9/21
to PicoChess
Update. I have just found and purchased these connectors on Amazon which should be able to extend (the longer ones) the contact surface of the 20 pins with the motherboard of the Centaur. I'll keep you up-to-date.
61goCB2t5YL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

dirk.d.s...@gmail.com

Nov 9, 2021, 3:59:39 AM11/9/21
to pico...@googlegroups.com

Hi Rick,

I have also tested the bending Version… It has full contact without any problems… If you bend it like 80 degrees you will get a very good contact.

Dirk

Rick Strauss

Nov 9, 2021, 6:45:12 AM11/9/21
to pico...@googlegroups.com
Would this work on the zero 2 w?  I am not sure if it fits, but found it at an electronics supply store: Digikey Electronics

image.png

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "PicoChess" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/picochess/118701d7d548%241ea12d80%245be38880%24%40gmail.com.
Message has been deleted

Rick Strauss

Nov 9, 2021, 4:58:48 PM11/9/21
to pico...@googlegroups.com
Hi group,
I received the my Pi Zero W.
I installed the image on a new SD card.
When I turn the Centaur on - I just get the spinning circles across the board.  It does not seem to boot up.
Any ideas?
Thanks

On Tue, Nov 9, 2021 at 3:59 AM <dirk.d.s...@gmail.com> wrote:
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "PicoChess" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/picochess/118701d7d548%241ea12d80%245be38880%24%40gmail.com.

Enzo Binotto

Nov 9, 2021, 5:47:24 PM11/9/21
to pico...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rick,
Is your Centaur the older version with the visible rings ?
Cheers,
Enzo

Rick Strauss

Nov 9, 2021, 6:01:55 PM11/9/21
to pico...@googlegroups.com
I got it.  The pins were not totally in (whoever suggested longer pins is onto something :))  In any casem it seems hard to get the Centaur back on if the Pi is sticking up a little bit at an angle, and this causes it to disconnect.
I am having a little difficulty navigating to the main screen.

Message has been deleted

RickS

Nov 9, 2021, 9:29:53 PM11/9/21
to PicoChess
Hi,
I figured out how to enter wifi password etc...very ingenious to use the board to pick out the letters.
A couple more questions:
How do I connect with Arena and Fritz?....or Rabbit plug-in on PC?  I don't seem to have that working yet?

Thanks!

Dirk Sommerfeld

Nov 10, 2021, 4:10:41 AM11/10/21
to PicoChess
The bluetooth agend is alway's running.
Connect this firs with your pc.
After this run the Emulation on centaur. Then you have 1 min to connect the right comport in your rabbit plugin.
 It's the same if you use a real EBoard.

Dirk

Luigi Vogliobene

Nov 10, 2021, 9:31:28 AM11/10/21
to PicoChess
Please how to enter the lichess key in the Centaur mod2, the arrows keys (down and up) seems not working or maybe nothing is coming on the screen. Thank you.

Luigi

Rick Strauss

Nov 10, 2021, 9:33:53 AM11/10/21
to pico...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Dirk!
I have it now working (the board is using a different COM Port - so was able to connect through that).
Arena and Fritz recognize the board and moves, but when Arena/Fritzs makes a move, the lights on the Centaur do not light up.  Is there a way to correct this?  ....or will it just behave like a normal DGT board (without LEDS).
Thanks again for your help
Rick

Rick Strauss

Nov 10, 2021, 9:46:16 AM11/10/21
to pico...@googlegroups.com
Hi Luigi,
I placed a pawn on the board to match the number/letter position shown on the little e-display.  This worked great to enter my wifi password.
It took a little trial and error to find this as I struggled with pushing buttons (which is not the way to enter the keys).  The down button will get you to the smaller letter screen.
Let me know if this works or makes sense to you.
Rick

Dirk Sommerfeld

Nov 10, 2021, 9:46:43 AM11/10/21
to PicoChess
Hi Rick, that's  part of the Rabbit Plugin. The Board is an Emulator, if the Plugin know to set up lights, it will do. You see that's work if you use chess for Andriod. So it's the part of the connected Software to use LEDs. I think that your version of Rabbit will also not use the LEDs from a Revelation.

Dirk

Dirk Sommerfeld

Nov 10, 2021, 9:51:03 AM11/10/21
to PicoChess
Luigi,

remove all peaces from the board and follow the instruction's....

WIFI setup you can also make analog to picohess. Copy a wpa_supplicant.conf to the root file system of the SD card if you don't like to use the virtual keyboard.

Dirk

Rick Strauss

Nov 10, 2021, 10:14:29 AM11/10/21
to pico...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Dirk...Got it
For my DGTPI and Picochess Rasberry Pi, I can connect with the LEDS, but it seems to connect as a REV II 81500 and does not allow use of the other Engines.
Is there a workaround to use all of the other Engines with the LEDS?
Rick

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "PicoChess" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/picochess/8cfa5435-47f1-467b-beab-a2930493167cn%40googlegroups.com.

Dirk Sommerfeld

Nov 10, 2021, 10:46:34 AM11/10/21
to PicoChess
Hi Rick,

the engine setup you made with the DGTPI. You play the active engine, it is the same with a connected board. For support LED , there is a option in the picochess.ini file of your clock. The REVII is only bluetooth name and faked serial, the DGTPI thinks that a Revelation is connected. This you need to play with LEDs.  I know that the display shows the hole time REV.. x y  I don't know why yet. This is in my bug tasks . The workaround now is:
Switch on DGTPI change your engine and after all changes connect the board.

Dirk

Rick Strauss

Nov 10, 2021, 12:01:35 PM11/10/21
to pico...@googlegroups.com
Perfect......One more question:
The REV II display text seems to cover up the clock (at least on my Rasberry Pi which uses Al's clock.html file).  Is there a setting to get the play clock visual?
Again, a GREAT PROGRAM!

Dirk Sommerfeld

Nov 10, 2021, 3:48:37 PM11/10/21
to PicoChess
Hi Rick,
that is part of the bug, it's on the list.
Dirk

Dirk Sommerfeld

Nov 11, 2021, 4:51:27 AM11/11/21
to PicoChess
Hi all,

at the moment the download link for the complete Image  is not longer available.....
I work on a bigger upgrade and can't say when it is available.
If you like you can share it directly.
Dirk

Bernd Richter

Nov 11, 2021, 9:26:54 AM11/11/21
to PicoChess
Hello Dirk,

I'm very interested! Unfortunately, my English is very rudimentary, but I always read along diligently here. I have already rebuilt my centaur according to your specifications and am thrilled! Wait eagerly for your new image!

Greetings from Bernd

Luigi Vogliobene

Nov 11, 2021, 9:39:23 AM11/11/21
to PicoChess
Hi Rick, thank you, now it works,
Luigi

Luigi Vogliobene

Nov 11, 2021, 12:03:43 PM11/11/21
to PicoChess
Hi all, I wonder how to promote playing against engines (CT800) in Mod2 ? if I push the pawn to the 8th rank and then I place a Queen this manouvre is not succesfull while it was working with the adaptive engine. Thank you for hints.
Luigi

Dirk Sommerfeld

Nov 11, 2021, 2:52:51 PM11/11/21
to PicoChess
Normally there is a new menu on the display to choice the peace.... It could be a bug... I will check it on weekend

Luigi Vogliobene

Nov 11, 2021, 3:00:26 PM11/11/21
to PicoChess
Hi Dirk, thank you

Dirk Sommerfeld

Nov 12, 2021, 3:18:08 AM11/12/21
to PicoChess
Hi all,

the downloadlink for the complete version is still working now.

There is also a update available for all others:

How to install the update:
Open the webinterface on http://youripaddress:8080 and use the update tab.

What's new....:
fixed a problem with lichess, to start a game as black and a early premove from white comes in
New version of pawn promotion, it promotes  self to a queen now
Detection of check with two beeps and a message on the display
better checkmate detection

Dirk

Luigi Vogliobene

Nov 12, 2021, 3:39:34 AM11/12/21
to PicoChess
Hi Dirk, thank you. I will check the pawn promotion.
Luigi

Dirk Sommerfeld

Nov 12, 2021, 5:07:15 AM11/12/21
to PicoChess
Lugi,
the update fixes only lichess issue's. The ct800 isn't fixed yet.

lvogl...@gmail.com

Nov 12, 2021, 5:27:42 AM11/12/21
to pico...@googlegroups.com
Dirk thank you for the info. I will wait for a fix. Luigi

Inviato da iPhone

Il giorno 12 nov 2021, alle ore 11:07, Dirk Sommerfeld <dirk.d.s...@gmail.com> ha scritto:

Lugi,
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "PicoChess" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/picochess/16545a5e-6f66-4680-8eaf-4ca179878cbfn%40googlegroups.com.

Dirk Sommerfeld

Nov 13, 2021, 12:39:14 PM11/13/21
to PicoChess
Luigi,

here is the fix... promotes automatic to queen now. I have test ist an it works

Luigi Vogliobene

Nov 13, 2021, 1:28:12 PM11/13/21
to PicoChess
Dirk,
Thank you very much for the fix.
Have a nice weekend.
Luigi

Dirk Sommerfeld

Nov 15, 2021, 9:31:28 AM11/15/21
to PicoChess
Hi all,

for all support issues about the centaur Mod, I opened a new group.
Dirk

Rick Strauss

Nov 16, 2021, 7:33:58 AM11/16/21
to pico...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dirk,
A couple quick questions:

The wifi settings for the pi zero 2 w do not seem to be working:
I don't get any list of networks:  I get a blank screen just a little antenna sign in the upper right corner.  With no virtual keyboard.
I am also unsure how to use the WPS setup and whether I need to press anything else on the board?
Lastly, how does one navigate out of a program (such a DGT board)?  sometimes the up button doesn't work.
Thanks,
Rick

Dirk Sommerfeld

Nov 16, 2021, 8:18:57 AM11/16/21
to PicoChess
Hi Rick,

I bet this is not a Zero2 W , it is a Zero 2.

In the market there are many Dealers who send the wrong Pi's. I got also two wrong versions.
The answer ist that there is no WIFI on your board. Please take a look to your pcb.

Dirk Sommerfeld

Nov 16, 2021, 8:36:03 AM11/16/21
to PicoChess
@All -  I use only ZeroW today. I can't support zero 2 W without running one. I only know from users that they play with one, that's all. It brings no benefit to switch now to zero 2 . The slow epaper kill any effect of a faster CPU. If I have a chance to test it self, I can give you more informations. For the moment Zero W (1) is all I can support in detail.

Dirk

Scally

Nov 16, 2021, 9:35:26 AM11/16/21
to PicoChess
2E5C09D2-26BF-4432-844F-34519B1A51CA.jpeg

Hi all,

This is a copy of an email I just sent to Dirk, but it does show the differences between the RPi Zero models.

“Here’s the RPi’s I tried from left to right, original RPi Zero, RPi Zero W & RPi Zero 2 W:

The original sd card only boots in the supplied RPi Zero.

Your Image boots on both the RPi Zero W and the RPi Zero 2 W, but the display doesn’t change on either of my Centaurs, they are both early editions but 1 has had a screen change.”

Al

Dirk Sommerfeld

Nov 16, 2021, 10:50:20 AM11/16/21
to PicoChess
I see in the raspi forum that wifi is down at first boot from a pi zero2
I must enbale it via killswitch via booting.
This needs a new image for Pi zero 2.
pls wait until weekend

Dirk

Dirk Sommerfeld

Nov 16, 2021, 3:18:27 PM11/16/21
to PicoChess
Rick, please download the image again.
I change something for a better zero2 support.

Dirk

Rick Strauss

Nov 16, 2021, 4:24:54 PM11/16/21
to pico...@googlegroups.com
Perfect! I like the separate setup section.
It works :)
One last question:  How does one get between programs (ie. Centaur to DGT Board), without turning off the Centaur.  Is there any function for that?

Dirk Sommerfeld

Nov 17, 2021, 1:50:25 AM11/17/21
to PicoChess
Hi Rick.
the centaur it self runs in his own enviroment. I don't have control to it and one of my primary goals was "don't touch it"
It is a centaur.  If you play centaur, you must shutdown. I don't have access and the centaur app will control also the motherboard.

Dirk

Rick Strauss

Nov 17, 2021, 8:32:22 AM11/17/21
to pico...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Dirk.....
One more question:  I am now on to setting up the Lichess function.
I get a blank screen when I go do setup/lichesskey
How do I set that up and use it?
Also, the Lichess API keys ar 22 characters long now - is that OK for entering?
Any tips on setting this up.
Rick

Bernd Richter

Nov 17, 2021, 8:43:16 AM11/17/21
to PicoChess
You must first remove all the figures from the board and then put a figure according to the characters on the fields You must first remove all the figures from the board and then put a figure according to the characters on the fields

Dirk Sommerfeld

Nov 17, 2021, 9:01:25 AM11/17/21
to PicoChess
Follow Bernd's instruction. Normally there is a hint on the screen, but it could be that the code is to fast for the slow display, so I will include a longer delay by another second and hope it it helps.
The virtual Keyboard you will get by removing all figures from the board.
I make this changes in the update tonight.
Dirk

Rick Strauss

Nov 17, 2021, 9:03:56 AM11/17/21
to pico...@googlegroups.com
Got it....the previous version mentioned those instructions on the screen, this version just went blank.
I am now able to connect :)
Once I  connect - how do I initiate a game in Lichess connected to the board?
I just tried playing a game, but it was only on the computer and not the board.
Sorry for the basic questions.
Rick

Dirk Sommerfeld

Nov 17, 2021, 3:49:57 PM11/17/21
to PicoChess
Hi Rick,

if you generate the token on lichess. You can deactivate playing with bots. I did this and played never with a bot.
Generate a new one...

Dirk

Rick Strauss

Nov 17, 2021, 4:14:28 PM11/17/21
to pico...@googlegroups.com
Thanks!
I am able to get “Joining Game on Lichess” with my player ID
I also have an 8 character code displayed
However I am not sure what to do next.  Do I need to run the game on my computer (I tried that a couple times but the board didn’t do anything).

On Nov 17, 2021, at 3:50 PM, Dirk Sommerfeld <dirk.d.s...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Rick,

Dirk Sommerfeld

Nov 17, 2021, 4:32:03 PM11/17/21
to PicoChess
Hi Rick,
you have two choices...
If you use current, it fetch a new started game via the web interface
If your choice ist new.. you got step by step to your settings and than you search with this options for a player...
I played always new games... Sometimes you must wait some time if a player is found, but a 15 min games.. will start soon.

Rick Strauss

Nov 21, 2021, 8:39:13 PM11/21/21
to pico...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dirk,
I am still not having any luck with New Game....how do I search for a player?  I entered "Rated","White","15+10"
THe screen stays stuck on "New Game on Lichess",Player XXXXXX, gamesearch, time 15.10, rated=true,color=white,range=none.
Do I need to be doing anything on my Lichess account or on the Centaur V2?
I am also unsure how to use the current game....does that pick up a game already in progress?
Thanks?
Rick

Dirk Sommerfeld

Nov 22, 2021, 3:04:00 AM11/22/21
to PicoChess
Rick, i would be happy if we can talk about future issues in the centaur group.
Hier is a long description:

current game:

You start this on the centaur.... after 3 secs the centaur is waiting that lichess send a starting game.
Next ist... go to lichess web and search vie web with your personal settings for an other player....
If lichess found one, it makes beep and the game is transfered to the centaur.

A new game: This is so easy like it is... start a game  and wait .. normally 10 - 120 secs.

If both way's don't work, please check your lichess API key... it will not work.

Dirk

Rick Strauss

Nov 22, 2021, 1:34:52 PM11/22/21
to pico...@googlegroups.com
PERFECT (AGAIN)!
I reloaded a new lichesskey - and it is working great, at least with the new game.
I will still need to try current game.
RIck

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

RickS

Jan 18, 2022, 11:43:30 AM1/18/22
to PicoChess
I have been  using the Centaur modification for approximately 2 months, and I love playing Lichess on the DGT Centaur!
The only quirk is that it still occasionally drops the signal and I need to finish playing on the web.  Once the signal is lost, there does not seem a way to pick up the game on the Centaur.  Is there any ways to prevent signal drop?  I am not exactly sure what causes it - whether it is my Network, or a move not being picked up (I use modified wood pieces with aluminum stickers).
Thanks,
Rick

Josef L

Dec 6, 2022, 1:37:06 PM12/6/22
to PicoChess
I tried connecting WiFi, unfortunately it is not described how to write the password. The connection via USB as DGT board does not work either. Is there a manual available somewhere for this version of the software?

Rick Strauss

Dec 6, 2022, 2:11:56 PM12/6/22
to pico...@googlegroups.com
I believe you write the password using the “chessboard as the keyboard”.  Place a pawn on the spot corresponding to the letters shown.  I haven’t done this in a year or so, so I hope it still works

On Dec 6, 2022, at 1:37 PM, Josef L <josef...@gmail.com> wrote:

I tried connecting WiFi, unfortunately it is not described how to write the password. The connection via USB as DGT board does not work either. Is there a manual available somewhere for this version of the software?

Josef L

Dec 6, 2022, 4:10:59 PM12/6/22
to PicoChess
Fantastic, thank you so much, it really works, and the WiFi is connected! Now I still have to sort out the USB connection. I can see COM3 active, but the DGT RabbitPlugin on Windows 11 is unable to connect.

Dirk Sommerfeld

Dec 7, 2022, 10:01:02 AM12/7/22
to PicoChess
Hi Josef,
there is only a Bluetooth communication to the RabbitPlugin availlable.
Dirk

Josef L

Dec 7, 2022, 10:41:27 AM12/7/22
to PicoChess
Hi Dirk,

Thank you for your answer. Rabbit has only COM port connection, I don't see any Bluetooth configuration. I have also tried the DGT app on Android, also does not work.  When I turn it on, I see Bluetooth PCS-REVII-181500, when connected, Bear Chess doesn't work as DGT Board either. Don't even know what Bearlink is, unfortunately, there is no manual available anywhere. I have been working in computers for decades, but here I am clueless.

Josef

Dirk Sommerfeld

Dec 8, 2022, 2:39:44 AM12/8/22
to PicoChess
Josef,

first of all you must pair the board with windows or android without any app. If you could pair this and it is trusted, than you can use the dgt emulation to connect to apps or any other windows software.

That way work on my mashines.
Bearlin is a chesslink clone that works with the bearchess software. The way to connect is the same.

Dirk

Josef L

Dec 8, 2022, 4:01:04 AM12/8/22
to PicoChess
Thank you for being so helpful. I installed DGT Rabbit on another laptop with Windows 8 and here the chessboard not only paired but also connected (under Windows 11 it only paired). Now it finally works under Rabbit software, but BearChess still doesn't work.

Why do users make a hole in the chessboard for the Zero 2W COM port when it is not used?

Josef

Dirk Sommerfeld

Dec 8, 2022, 11:25:36 AM12/8/22
to pico...@googlegroups.com
Josef,
the first version works via USB Stick and the normal PiZero. That was the beginning to export PGN Files from the original system.
Dirk

Josef L

Dec 8, 2022, 3:39:46 PM12/8/22
to PicoChess
Hi Dirk,

thank you for the information, I tried version 2.2 with an emulation of the Mephisto and other chess programs, too bad they don't work in this new Centaur version. The problem with Windows 11 is that they require a PIN to connect to Bluetooth, so a lower version of Windows must be used. I tried the DGT Chess program on Android, unfortunately, it doesn't work. I have been working with raspberry for many years, never encountered so many problems, strange.

Josef

Dirk Sommerfeld

Dec 9, 2022, 2:58:25 AM12/9/22
to pico...@googlegroups.com
Hi Josef, this version was made in a environment win10 .. There is also a alternative version from from Ed available. This ones goes in a other direction, but is close to newer systems. DGT APP? That must be pegasus. Pegasus isn't a part of this mod. There are many user there use this more than one year now. The version is closed, so if you need more features , please convert to the https://github.com/EdNekebno/DGTCentaurMods project.

Dirk

Josef L

Dec 9, 2022, 8:55:01 AM12/9/22
to PicoChess
Hi Dirk, thank you for your help and answer. I covert to the Ed version last night, and there are more options here, including handling BT PIN issues, the ability to upload new UCI engines, etc., you're right.

Josef

Dne pátek 9. prosince 2022 v 8:58:25 UTC+1 uživatel dirk.d.s...@gmail.com napsal:
Message has been deleted