Playing Picochess without a DGT clock

Dirk

Dec 17, 2020, 9:37:54 AM12/17/20
to PicoChess

Playing Picochess without a DGT clock

I need some help in testing a change to the V3 timecontrol behavior in order to play without a clock - just the Pi the eBoard via the webserver (this could also be a solution who would like to connect their Pis directly to a (touch) display and DGT clock.

Until now this is now possible because the webserver clock times are always reseted after each move when plyaing.

Marcel Swidde posted a workaround solution in this thread in marcels picochess v10  base image thread by changing the start_internal function in timecontrol.py:

https://groups.google.com/g/picochess/c/hvBMzyGwKOA

I have tried this some time ago and it worked but after some time I saw some strange display problems together with my V3.

Now with the current new base image for V3 I tried it again and it seems to work although I already modified the timecontrol.py for my 2.01 because of the same problem (clock time resets) when using the „rolling display“ mode.

Monosnap 2020-12-17 15-27-11.png

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ve35websi0nobue/picochess_without_clock.MOV?dl=0

So what I would ask for is people trying out this timecontrol.py change in their own systems to see...

a) if it really works for you without a physical DGT clock connected to the board by just using the eBoard, Pi and the webserver (tablet or integrated touch display). You can operate all options os a real DGT clock with the web server buttons.

b) if no strange display problems happen when using your normal setup (clock, board and pi or DGTPI) in your daily usage.

In order to test, you just have to replace the timecontrol.py file by this attached modified version.

Feedback can be posted here…

Thanks

Dirk

timecontrol.py

Kiko Gomez

Dec 17, 2020, 5:48:14 PM12/17/20
to PicoChess
Hi Dirk,

tested all the afternoon, online, mame, normal engines, any problem everything perfect using menus from clock, from  webserver in localhost and remote machine, I will continue using it until some problem but actually running prefectly.

BR

Kiko

Dirk

Dec 17, 2020, 5:51:38 PM12/17/20
to pico...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the feedback, Kiko!

Dirk

Von meinem iPad gesendet

Am 17.12.2020 um 23:48 schrieb Kiko Gomez <kinam...@gmail.com>:

Hi Dirk,

Dirk Sommerfeld

Mar 14, 2021, 1:12:29 PM3/14/21
to PicoChess
Hi, I tried the modified version but it will not work correct...
If I use a setup like 30 15  I wait 5 Minutes  minutes and after the move it goes to 30:15  next move 30:30 , 30:45 31:00 31:15

Only a setup like 30 0 works fine with the standard engines....

Next Step I try the emulated King 2.5 Engine.... In this case the level setup is a time setup... My times runs down but after every move the engine, his time switch back to start....  In a complex situation on the board... the engines make no moves and after 30 mins... I won... stupid....

Dirk