No pondering when engines are white?

Henri Spijkerman

Jun 5, 2019, 7:50:04 AM6/5/19
to PicoChess
Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but it seems pondering does not show at all on my v.201-non pi when engines are having the white pieces. I do think it ponders because some replies are instantly and the temperature is higher, but I can't see the process on the display. This goes for all engines.

Am I the only one?

Greetings,
Henri

Dirk

Jun 21, 2019, 8:19:18 AM6/21/19
to PicoChess
Hi Henri,

nice to see that some users still use Picochess despite all the new chess computers which came out in the last months ;-)

I could reproduce your problem.

Your observation is correct: if you are in "Ponder on" mode and Pico plays white the rolling display will not be active which is a bug but the real pondering is not affected by this (just a display thing).

I have fixed this and updated my Github repository.

You will have to replace the display.py file in /picochess/dgt on your system or update via "sudo git pull" the repository on your system if you have cloned it or wait until someone will create a new image.

Have fun...
Dirk

Henri Spijkerman

Jun 21, 2019, 8:43:22 AM6/21/19
to PicoChess
Hi Dirk,

Please give me a link to your updated 'display-py' file. Tried to find it, but nope.

I have more observations to come, the webserver needs some adjusting for sure, so a new version of Picochess is nigh I hope.... :)

Picochess is really the best chessprogram I know! And yes, there are a lot of new chess computers coming out, but nothing beats a DGT-board with a Pi yet. The already much acclaimed (and despised) DGT Centaur has a mere Pi Zero on board, need I say more?

Greetings,
Henri

P.S. By the way, if you are the 'voice' that speaks chessmoves to me on a daily basis, thanks for that. You have the most pleasant voice in computerchess. Being a voice-over myself, I know what I am talking about (for once).

Dirk

Jun 21, 2019, 8:56:18 AM6/21/19
to PicoChess
https://github.com/tosca07/picochess/blob/master/dgt/display.py

I fully agree with you regarding picochess as the best chess computer I can think of...

Dirk
display.py

Scally

Jun 21, 2019, 9:16:07 AM6/21/19
to PicoChess
Thanks Dirk, nice to hear from you I hope you’re feeling better.

Henri, if you look in /opt/picochess/AUTHORS you will see who provided the voices:

Voices:
Alan Cooper: English
Christina ten Thij-Mucciaccio: German, English, Spanish, French, Italian, Dutch,
Jan-Niclas Hartl : German
Luigi Vogliobene: Italian
Santiago Torres: Spanish
DirkJan Dekker: Dutch

Recently Bingen Markes provided Basque voices from Ibon and himself, these have yet to be officially added to PicoChess.

Which voice do you use?

Al.

Henri Spijkerman

Jun 21, 2019, 9:26:18 AM6/21/19
to PicoChess
I am relatively new to Picochess and still haven't found my way around I guess....

Is 'Dirk' DirkJan or is there another 'Dirk' in Picochess? It is the DirkJan's voice I am using (with pleasure as already stated).

Henri

Dirk

Jun 21, 2019, 9:45:31 AM6/21/19
to pico...@googlegroups.com
Nope - it’s not me!

Scally

Jun 21, 2019, 10:17:09 AM6/21/19
to PicoChess
Yes that’s Dirk Jan, otherwise known as DJ

Here’s voices.ini which is the built voice selection menu:

[it]
[[luigi]]
small = luigi
medium = Luigi