Taking a back seat ..

Scally

Sep 29, 2021, 10:50:36 AM9/29/21
to PicoChess
Hi all,

I’m going to have to take a back seat for the foreseeable future as I’ve been diagnosed with colon cancer.

I should get my results to which type of cancer and how aggressive it is on Friday. Also on Friday I have a CT Scan to see if it’s spread to other organs. I will need an operation soon to remove the 10cm growth and probably chemotherapy afterwards.

I’ll be monitoring the forum and updating the Engines as and when I can.

You are in good hands with Dirk, Randy and others ….

Cheers,

Al.

Wardy

Sep 29, 2021, 11:08:09 AM9/29/21
to PicoChess
Really sorry to hear that Al, I'll be keeping everything crossed for a speedy recovery.

Take care

Paul

Jonathan Colledge

Sep 29, 2021, 11:08:34 AM9/29/21
to pico...@googlegroups.com
Oh, gosh, best wishes to you and I hope all tests from now on are favourable and you have a forest recovery from surgery.
Jonathan

Shivkumar Shivaji

Sep 29, 2021, 11:09:32 AM9/29/21
to pico...@googlegroups.com
Terrible to hear. Thanks for all your hard work. Best of luck with the treatment.

Feel free to ping me on colon cancer, my dad had it and successfully recovered after chemo.

Shiv

Randy Reade

Sep 29, 2021, 11:13:40 AM9/29/21
to pico...@googlegroups.com
Al,

I'm very sorry to hear that. Please accept my heartfelt wishes for a positive outcome. It goes without saying that your health comes first and do not worry at all about providing engine updates and picochess support, unless of course you find it therapeutic. :^) I'm sure everyone here and on your other frequented forums will be rooting for you. Please take care of yourself.

Randy

Dieter

Sep 29, 2021, 1:27:31 PM9/29/21
to PicoChess
Hello Al,

it is sad to read this message from you. I know exactly, what this diagnosis means for you and what psychological stress you are now in. I was diagnosed with advanced prostate cancer earlier this year.

I hope the results on Friday will be good. Unfortunately for me it was not the case ...

Best wishes and cheer up
Dieter

LJR

Sep 29, 2021, 1:30:39 PM9/29/21
to pico...@googlegroups.com
I’ve mostly been a lurker, but I apprecate all you’ve done, Al.  So wanted to chime in and send positive thoughts your way.

Lang

On Sep 29, 2021, at 1:27 PM, Dieter <d.ku...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello Al,

Shivkumar Shivaji

Sep 29, 2021, 1:41:51 PM9/29/21
to pico...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dieter,

Extremely sorry to hear :(

I do want people to realize that often oncologists make mistakes in cancer diagnosis. It certainly was the case for my father. They estimated a survival rate of  80% or less. However, when I checked literature myself at http://cancerstaging.org/references-tools/quickreferences/documents/colonmedium.pdf and pointed out that the paper data is outdated, you cannot count someone who died in 1990 due to cancer treatment and include him/her in the stats, you need to do stats of last 5-10 years with the exact T2/T3 number and N0/N1 and M0, and recompute survival probability using last 10 years of data. I got a number of more than 98% survival rate then and disputed with the oncologist.

After talking to the oncologist, he admitted that I was right and indeed everything will be smooth after I showed him 3 more papers. The operation went very smoothly and in fact, the whole treatment was "boring". Do the research yourself, look at the top published papers, and ask logical questions. Oncologists are often not up to date in statistics and the latest research. Do question everything, because it's a hard field to start with, and its not anyone's fault that cancer research is still being actively pursued.

It's important to emotionally feel everything is going to go fine before the treatment to reduce stress levels.

Shiv

Marc Desmedt

Sep 30, 2021, 5:05:53 AM9/30/21
to PicoChess
Very sad to hear. I wish strength and a speedy recovery!

Horst Kern

Sep 30, 2021, 8:56:22 AM9/30/21
to PicoChess
Hello Al,

That's not great news.
I wish you all the best for Friday and a complete and quick recovery.

Chessfriend

Oct 1, 2021, 10:31:30 AM10/1/21
to PicoChess
I wish you all the best!!!!

Peter

Sriraman Muralidharan

Oct 2, 2021, 8:06:25 AM10/2/21
to pico...@googlegroups.com
Respected all ,
                            I joined this group to get some help with my DGT Pi which runs Picochess.
I recommend it.

I recommend western astrology.

Sriraman

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This transmission may contain confidential information that is legally privileged. The information is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient, or the person responsible for delivery to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of any of the information contained in this transmission is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify Sriraman immediately by e-mail and e-mail the original transmission to Sriraman . Thank you.

John Paul Parkins

Oct 12, 2021, 8:59:37 AM10/12/21
to PicoChess
Scally,

Sorry to hear this.

Good luck with your recovery.

Marcin Jasiński

Oct 12, 2021, 11:56:23 AM10/12/21
to PicoChess
I wish you a speedy recovery. We are with you with positive thoughts.

Scally

Nov 1, 2021, 9:57:41 AM11/1/21
to PicoChess
Thanks everyone for your lovely comments, here’s an update on my situation following a meeting with my Surgeon today following lots of tests over the past few weeks:

I will have a Pre Assessment in the next week or so followed by my Operation around 2 weeks later.

In this Operation I will have the cancerous section of my bowel removed (over 4 inches), plus all associated nymph nodes and blood vessels, the remainder of the bowel will be moved and clamped back together with titanium clamps.

This is hoped to be done via keyhole surgery, but may involve opening me up.

I may or may not require a temporary or permanent poo bag (lleostomy). Any temporary bag will be removed after 6-12 Months.

The removed parts will be analysed and these results will govern wether I’m OK or need 6 months of chemotherapy or a further Operation.

I will be in hospital up to 5 days after the Operation and will need 4-8 weeks to recover from it.

Worst case scenario, I can die in the Operation (they do warn you that this could happen).

Next Worse is I have to opened up and have a permanent colonoscopy bag.

Then anything in between, up to ….

The Best case being keyhole surgery, no colonoscopy bag and no further treatment, apart from 6 Monthly check-ups 🤞

Cheers,

Al.

LJR

Nov 1, 2021, 10:09:11 AM11/1/21
to pico...@googlegroups.com
God bless, Al.

On Nov 1, 2021, at 9:57 AM, Scally <scall...@gmail.com> wrote:

Thanks everyone for your lovely comments, here’s an update on my situation following a meeting with my Surgeon today following lots of tests over the past few weeks:

RandyR

Nov 1, 2021, 10:24:21 AM11/1/21
to PicoChess
Al,

I'm looking forward to the best-case scenario. Best wishes for a successful surgery and complete recovery. You'll be in my thoughts.

Randy

darryl...@gmail.com

Nov 2, 2021, 8:15:47 PM11/2/21
to PicoChess
Al, I'll keep you in my prayers.  I appreciate your work on our common hobby, but please take it easy and follow the doctors' advice, and we'll wait to hear good news.

Dirk Sommerfeld

Nov 3, 2021, 5:29:11 AM11/3/21
to PicoChess
Alan,
I which you all the best for the next weeks and month. I cross the fingers and I'm sure you will come back stronger as before !!!
Dirk

Horst Kern

Nov 3, 2021, 9:46:38 AM11/3/21
to PicoChess
Alan,

all the best wishes from good old germany ....

Paolo Dei Giudici

Nov 4, 2021, 11:49:07 AM11/4/21
to pico...@googlegroups.com
Al, have all my best wishes from Italy.
Good luck!

Paolo

Till

Nov 5, 2021, 7:08:17 AM11/5/21
to PicoChess
Best wishes and good luck.
Till

Franco Sarcina

Nov 9, 2021, 4:13:48 PM11/9/21
to PicoChess
Good luck bro!

Henri

Dec 10, 2021, 9:22:51 AM12/10/21
to PicoChess
Just got some news from Al, though not the kind we were hoping for. His cancer was worse and more spread than expected. Al was in ICU for 9 days after a heavy operation with various complications & infections. Now he is in a ward hoping for some improvement. However he may be in yet for another operation because his stoma is not working well.

Let us hope and pray for the best....

Brian Erdelyi

Dec 10, 2021, 9:33:23 AM12/10/21
to PicoChess
Peace and love. Hoping for the best!

Randy Reade

Dec 10, 2021, 10:34:03 AM12/10/21
to pico...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the update, Henri. I'll continue to hope for the best and keep Al in my thoughts.

Randy

Scally

Dec 23, 2021, 8:40:21 AM12/23/21
to PicoChess

Hi all,

I’m finally out of Hospital after spending 9 days in ICU and 13 days in the Ward.

The Operation was more complicated than I hoped for, I ended up with 4 entry points and 23 external clips. They also clipped a kidney and the other was pussy, so I had stents put in both ureters. They also found more cancer under a fold in my Bowel, so all was removed together with over 20 Lymph nodes and associated blood vessels. This has all been analysed and they were a couple of T3 cancer traces in the fatty tissue of my removed bowel which means I will need chemotherapy. How long for will be discussed in January. meanwhile I have a Ileostomy bag, which needs changing every 2nd day and emptied around every 4-5 hours. I am on a strict low fibre diet and have lost over 2 stones (14 kg) in weight, I’m still very weak and can’t walk very far. My recovery will be a lengthy one, but I’m getting there.

Thanks everyone,

Al.

Randy Reade

Dec 23, 2021, 9:52:49 AM12/23/21
to pico...@googlegroups.com
Al,
Take it easy, stay positive and enjoy the season as best you can. Merry Christmas to you and your family. And the best of wishes for good news in the New Year!

Randy

josc...@gmail.com

Dec 24, 2021, 7:32:14 AM12/24/21
to PicoChess
Hi Al,
good to read your update and to learn that you are optimistic.
Wishing you and the people who support you all the best from Germany

-Joscho

mvanthoor

Jan 22, 2022, 3:37:06 PM1/22/22
to PicoChess
Hi Al,

Good luck with getting well soon. Take it easy for some time.

Kind regards,
Marcel
Message has been deleted