Install Wifi Dongle with Picochess

Carlos Dorcas

Apr 24, 2015, 4:23:46 AM4/24/15
to pico...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Yesterday I tried to install a Wifi Dongle to my Picochess running on a Raspberry Pi B+.
All looked well and it seemed to connect to the Internet but then suddenly Picochess did not want to run anymore.  It kind of freezes.  I am convinced I did something wrong :-)
Forgive me to ask this but I am still kind of new to all this and Linux commands.

Could someone please tell me how to correctly install a Wifi Dongle on version Picochess 0.36 (updated) or advice me a website ?   An answer in BABY STEPS would be nice , as I am new to this but eager to learn.

Thx

Carlos

Stefano

Apr 24, 2015, 5:39:30 PM4/24/15
to pico...@googlegroups.com
Hi Carlos,

I will soon get a wifi dongle compatible with Rasperry Pi to connect wirelessly and I will report my experience.

Bye
Stefano

Jonas Žnidaršič

Apr 24, 2015, 7:25:35 PM4/24/15
to pico...@googlegroups.com
If the wifi dongle is compatible with Raspberry Pi (most are), you should simply connect a monitor, keyboard and mouse, then find the wifi configuration app in the menus.

-Izmet

Mete Yücel

Apr 25, 2015, 1:38:31 AM4/25/15
to pico...@googlegroups.com
I have done it with this instruction.
I think you will find this also in english
http://www.datenreise.de/raspberry-pi-wlan-einrichten-edimax/

Stefano

Apr 27, 2015, 2:46:26 PM4/27/15
to pico...@googlegroups.com
Carlos this link is very useful and self-explaining for installation.

http://raspberrypihq.com/how-to-add-wifi-to-the-raspberry-pi/

Rgds

Stefano

Apr 29, 2015, 10:49:00 AM4/29/15
to pico...@googlegroups.com
To all it may concern I ve just got an Edimax wifi dongle and followed exactly the procedure I have reported in my previous msg, only added the lines

sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/8192cu.conf

options 8192cu rtw_power_mgnt=0 rtw_enusbss=0

in the file 8192cu to avoid the dongle going into sleeping mode and disconnect.

Eveything works perfectly and of course you may also activate the UI GUI wirelessly.
Enjoy

Stefano