Future of picochess

Marc Hamilton

Feb 1, 2022, 10:25:25 AM2/1/22
to PicoChess
I was wondering what the futures risks are to the picochess app.
The Pi 3 and Pi 3b modules are becoming extinct or highly priced. I paid $147 for a 3b+ on eBay and the used-ones are pricey. They are even more expensive on Amazon and there are limited  listings. As I understand, Debian 11 (Bullseye) will not run on a 4b (yet).
As the OS and Pi modules continue to evolve, will the picochess app be able to keep up with the changes.
Case in point, it appears the official support of the picochess app stopped development at version .9l. What happens to the DGT Pi manufacturing when the inventory of 3 and 3b modules depletes?

This line of thought started this morning after some work on my picochess software, where I probably installed the micro SD card card 50+ times. I thought, "what if the card card-reader stops working?"  Second thought, "how long will the 3, 3b modules be available?" Well, I found out - not much longer...

Marc

RandyR

Feb 1, 2022, 12:19:07 PM2/1/22
to PicoChess
I thought Bullseye would run in a Pi4b? Wilhelm's solution to upgrading if you want the DGTPi form factor is very nice. I suspect using a display case will keep PicoChess viable in the future.

Randy

m371...@gmail.com

Feb 1, 2022, 12:26:31 PM2/1/22
to pico...@googlegroups.com

Bullseye runs on a 4b. Question is will picochess run on a 4b with Bullseye?

I guess keeping a safe copy of Debian 10 is the answer for the future.

Sent from Mail for Windows

Randy Reade

Feb 1, 2022, 1:20:20 PM2/1/22
to pico...@googlegroups.com
I suspect that PicoChess will work if built on a clean image in a Pi4 since it runs on the Pi3b. I'll get around to testing it eventually. 😁

Randy

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "PicoChess" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/picochess/2C2E3CC8-7473-4048-B9F6-7F0333405B95%40hxcore.ol.

Marc Hamilton

Feb 2, 2022, 3:33:56 PM2/2/22
to PicoChess
Here's an article that addresses the shortage of Raspberry Pi models.
The Pi3b+ will continue to be manufactured until 2026 which is good news (not in this article)
Message has been deleted