file a-stockf.uci - skill level to (approximate) Elo conversion

Luigi Vogliobene

Nov 13, 2016, 5:24:50 AM11/13/16
to PicoChess
Hi to all,
tired of mentally convert the Stockfish skill level (from 0 to 20) into an approximate Elo (from 1100 to 2570) I figure out to update my personal a-stockf.uci file.
Maybe someone else would find it useful and more intuitive so I attached it.
I hope not to hurt the feelings of anyone !
Have a nice Sunday :)
Luigi

a-stockf.uci

Al

Nov 13, 2016, 6:06:39 AM11/13/16
to PicoChess
Hi Luigi,

Nicely done, I suspect your ELO ratings are too low tho.

Stockfish7 on a Raspberry Pi 3 is roughly 3100 at level 20 and 1242 at level 0.

You should keep a copy of your uci file as whenever a build engines is required, it will be overwritten.

Cheers,

Al.

Jürgen Précour

Nov 13, 2016, 7:34:42 AM11/13/16
to PicoChess
Nope. The file is not overridden. But keeping a copy is always a good idea ;-)

@luigi
i gave y write access to the menu system file

Jürgen

Luigi Vogliobene

Nov 13, 2016, 8:41:43 AM11/13/16
to PicoChess
Hi Al,
my elo ratings was based on the picochess manual that asserts  (page 8) the stockfish7 strength at level 0 = 1100 Elo, at level 12 = 1750 and at full strength (level 20) = 2570 :)
I proceed to adjust the approximate Elo ratings starting from 1242 (level 0) to 3100 (level 20)
Thank you very much.
Luigi

Luigi Vogliobene

Nov 13, 2016, 8:42:49 AM11/13/16
to PicoChess
Hi Jürgen
I just completed the task of translation of the menu in the italian language.
Luigi

Shivkumar Shivaji

Nov 13, 2016, 8:42:59 AM11/13/16
to pico...@googlegroups.com
On the stockfish elo chart, its definitely not linear. Meaning its not a plain 65 elo for every level. I think level 0 is still quite high in elo (eif not beginner mode), I suspect it might be close to 1600 elo or so. Its probably good to test out the elo by a match against the strongest level to get a better approximate elo.

Al

Nov 13, 2016, 10:07:20 AM11/13/16
to PicoChess
Ok,

When I ran a SCID vs PC tournament for all Stockfish 7 Engines a couple of Months ago, the results where as below, I used Ordo to calculate the ELO ratings, assuming level 20 was 3100 ELO.

sf20 : 3100.0
sf18 : 2757.1
sf15 : 2651.5
sf12 : 2470.1
sf9 : 2270.1
sf6 : 2012.8
sf3 : 1596.7
sf0 : 1242.4

I'm roughly at 1600 ELO, and I constantly beat levels 0 and 3 but struggle on higher levels.

I can now confirm Luigi's findings on the newly compiled Stockfish 8 Engine. I won all short games (Fischer 5,3 & 10,5) at level 6 on time.

Also pairing Stockfish 7 with 8 on SCID over a 10 game short tournament, they appeared level, however Stockfish 8 lost 3 equal looking long games over 100 moves on time. Otherwise they were +1/-1/=5.

So until we find another compiled version of Stockfish 8, Stockfish 7 is more stable, so I'm switching back.

Cheers,

Al.

Shivkumar Shivaji

Nov 13, 2016, 10:15:39 AM11/13/16
to pico...@googlegroups.com
DId not know about Ordo! The elo's you mentioned though feel realistic and great as a guideline for elo strength except for perhaps sf0 and sf20 (the latter being the calibrating level).

The reality of the matter is that even a 2470 computer elo is subjective. Computers are quite strong tactically, 2470 might mean 2600 in tactics but say 2000 in positional chess. However, at least the above is a useful guideline for training.

Is the above done on a Pi?

Cheers,

Al.

Al

Nov 13, 2016, 10:40:20 AM11/13/16
to PicoChess
Yes Shiv,

Mostly on a RPi 3, some on a RPi 2, I switch them around to use the RPi 3 for Pico whilst following Live Chess Tournaments, currently the World Championship.

I was introduced to SCID vs PC and Ordo by DJ around 3 Months ago and have enjoyed testing several Chess Engines since.

Al.

Luigi Vogliobene

Nov 13, 2016, 10:47:26 AM11/13/16
to PicoChess
Hi Al,
thank you for your precious and realistic calculations of the Stockfish7 Elo strength for the RPi3.
I will update pretty soon the a-stockf.uci with your values and interpolate the remaining skill levels.
Luigi

Al

Nov 13, 2016, 11:02:05 AM11/13/16
to PicoChess
Just to clarify, the whole of the Stockfish 7 tournament was run on my RPi 3.

When I said I switch to the RPi 2 sometimes, that would be for a new tournament, I never run tournaments across 2 RPi's.

Cheers,

Al.

Luigi Vogliobene

Nov 13, 2016, 11:22:54 AM11/13/16
to PicoChess
Hi to all,
my new a-stockf.uci include now the ELO ratings kindly posted by Al (for levels 0 3 6 9 12 15 18 20) and interpolated values for the remaining levels

Luigi

Il giorno domenica 13 novembre 2016 16:07:20 UTC+1, Al ha scritto:
a-stockf.uci

Luigi Vogliobene

Nov 13, 2016, 12:41:27 PM11/13/16
to PicoChess
I played 3 games w/ stockfish 7, level 12, it shows a better time management, it never loses on time :)  and it wins all three games.  Lookslike it's much stronger than the stockfish 8 compiled from DJ.
I also switched back to Stockfish 7 waiting for a new compiled version of Stockfish 8

Luigi

DJ Dekker

Nov 13, 2016, 1:06:11 PM11/13/16
to PicoChess
The Makefile for Stockfish 8 is different from the Makefile for Stockfish 7. It is causing at least one error during compile because it sets the -m32 flag which is not allowed in gcc on Raspberry Pi. It is possible that there are other mistakes in Makefile, for example in the linking process. I have seen this being the case with other engines in the past, causing problems with time control.

So I think that a stable build of Stockfish 8 on Raspberry Pi requires a careful inspection of Makefile first.

Greetings,
DJ