Problems with display on official 7" touchscreen

Connor Tierney

Jun 16, 2024, 3:54:45 PMJun 16
to PicoChess
Hi,

I have just built a machine for running picochess consisting of a Pi5 4GB and the official 7" touchscreen. I have flashed Randy's latest desktop image to a 32GB card and everything boots up fine. The picochess wallpaper shows up centered on the screen but I have 2 issues;
1. The when it should display the board on the left and controls on the right, all I get is this, covering the whole screen:
picochess.png

2. It does not seem to want to detect my bluetooth DGT board. I had the board working on an older version (v2, I think) on a Pi2, so I know the board works.

Any help would be much appreciated,
Connor

Randy Reade

Jun 16, 2024, 5:12:34 PMJun 16
to pico...@googlegroups.com
Hi Connor,

I typically see that display if the monitor resolution is not set to a 16:9 aspect ratio. The Desktop image is set up for a 1024x600 landscape display which is close to 16:9. Due to the html/css code of the web server it doesn't scale very well at different aspects. I'm still hopeful someone knowledgeable can improve it. 😁

If you are having issues with the DGT BT connection, I would suggest initially booting with the board OFF. Once PicoChess is up and running and you see the 'no DGT board' in the 'clock' display, turn the board ON. It should connect. If not, turn the board OFF again and wait a minute (PicoChess will remove any old pairing info) then back ON. It should eventually connect. After it does, the next time you use PicoChess have the board turned ON before starting PicoChess (because PicoChess will try to pair with previously paired devices first).

Randy

Connor Tierney

Jun 16, 2024, 5:41:55 PMJun 16
to PicoChess
Thanks Randy.
I thought I was doing the right thing getting the official display but it looks like I would've been better of with the Waveshare screen which is 1024x600 or something else. A costly mistake! Looks like I'll have to work with accessing the webserver from another device for now.
I'll have another go at the bluetooth connection tomorrow.

Thanks,
Connor

Randy Reade

Jun 16, 2024, 5:45:02 PMJun 16
to pico...@googlegroups.com
I think you can make it work. Perhaps someone else on the forum with an official 7" display can help.

Henri

Jun 16, 2024, 6:15:23 PMJun 16
to PicoChess
Hi Conner,

I have picochess working on a 7 inch LCD Display-H. It took me a while too to get picochess displayed perfectly, but this did it for me:

In /boot/firmware/config.txt include:

hdmi_force_edid_audio=1
max_usb_current=1
hdmi_force_hotplug=1
config_hdmi_boost=7
hdmi_group=2
hdmi_mode=87
hdmi_drive=2
display_rotate=0
hdmi_cvt 1024 600 60 6 0 0 0

In the # Enable DRM VC4 V3D driver section
change
dtoverlay=vc4-kms-v3d    to    dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d   (include an 'f')

Save and reboot

I can not predict if the results are perfect for your particular display, but hopefully they do.

Connor Tierney

Jun 19, 2024, 2:43:26 AMJun 19
to PicoChess
Henri,

I don't think that will work with the official 7" display that I have as it only has a resolution of  800 x 480.
Is yours the official one?