Connector type identification help

Patrick

Jun 7, 2012, 10:43:18 PM6/7/12
to pico-SAM9G45 Mini-Box.com ARM embedded system board
I'm trying to identify and order the connectors I need for J7, J9, and
J16. Here's what I've found so far:

J7 and J9 are 16 pin, two row, 2.0mm pitch headers. This is not a
common spacing so I've had trouble finding connectors and cables. I've
ordered some from Mouser and I'll post up the results.

ribbon (flat) cable:
http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=2M-ACAC-020-3625-012.0-00-AB-00-0virtualkey51750000virtualkey517-2M-ACAC-020-12

connector:
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/89947-716LF

But I can't identify J16 or J21. Anyone know what those are called or
have a link to some connectors on Digikey/Mouser/etc?

Daniel Palmer

Jun 7, 2012, 11:01:23 PM6/7/12
to pico-s...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Jun 8, 2012 at 11:43 AM, Patrick <pat...@tacowars.com> wrote:
J7 and J9 are 16 pin, two row, 2.0mm pitch headers. This is not a
common spacing so I've had trouble finding connectors and cables. I've
ordered some from Mouser and I'll post up the results.

I thought they were 1.27mm pitch.. that's why the connectors I got didn't fit I guess..
The spacing between pins looks right but the spacing between the rows didn't match.

But I can't identify J16 or J21. Anyone know what those are called or
have a link to some connectors on Digikey/Mouser/etc?

I don't know what J16 is really called.. you can plug normal 2.54mm single female connectors in there just fine though. Not 100% sure on J21 but it looks like a 3 pin JST connector to me.

Patrick

Jun 8, 2012, 1:26:52 PM6/8/12
to pico-SAM9G45 Mini-Box.com ARM embedded system board
I might have spoke too soon then. I haven't verified the sizing for J7
and J9 but I'll confirm once my parts get here. I got the size from
the wiki here: http://arm.mini-box.com/index.php?title=J7_connector

For J16 are you saying you use these (http://www.adafruit.com/products/
266)? BTW something like this would be awesome for J7 and J9 if they
were 2mm instead of 2.54mm. Anyone know if that exists? I'd still like
to find the proper connector for J16 because thats a nice power
connector that would be useful for hooking up to a power supply.

DOes anyone know if this would work for J21?
http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/117

How are people hooking up things to the pico-SAM9G45? If you've
ordered a connector that works and you're reading this would you post
its specifications and/or where you got it? If you've found some other
hack that works nicely please post that as well!

Daniel Palmer

Jun 8, 2012, 11:23:10 PM6/8/12
to pico-s...@googlegroups.com
I might have spoke too soon then. I haven't verified the sizing for J7
and J9 but I'll confirm once my parts get here. I got the size from
the wiki here: http://arm.mini-box.com/index.php?title=J7_connector

I think 2.0mm is probably right. I tried the connectors I got again and they don't really fit at all. They were some random ones I managed to dig up on ebay though.

For J16 are you saying you use these (http://www.adafruit.com/products/
266)?

Yep.

BTW something like this would be awesome for J7 and J9 if they
were 2mm instead of 2.54mm.

I have used test clips to wire stuff up to J7 and J9. It isn't ideal as they pop off when you move the board around but it's ok for testing stuff out. If your connectors fit I'll have to get some for myself. :)

Cheers,

Daniel

pdb...@redballinternet.com

Aug 22, 2013, 2:44:10 PM8/22/13
to pico-S...@googlegroups.com, pico-s...@googlegroups.com
I don't understand why a company who wants to sell a product is so un-forthcoming on part numbers / specifications and other documentation so that people can *actually* prototype and use them in their embedded systems!

J7 and J9 - We use 18 Pin Dual Right Angle 2mm Connector Receptacles S5793-09 from DigiKey.
J14 - We solder on a 3M9606 from DigiKey onto the board (we only use 4 pins) and a 3M9367 socket onto our accessory board. (from DigiKey)
J16 - We use a  Terminal Block Plug, 5 position 3.81mm A98382  (from DigiKey) Oh and it does NOT make for great power connections in an environment with vibration, the wires break off and if not stripped short enough and tinned can have strands short etc. It is meant as an analog I/O port, so we have been migrating back to using J15.
J15 - CP-2184 from DigiKey is what we use.
J21 - The socket appears to be HiRose, DigiKey part number H3922-ND. The socket (what we want) would then be DF3-3S-2R26(05)-ND (bag of 100).

I hope this helps someone now!