sam9g45 dbgu - no ouput

LCRM

May 10, 2012, 5:19:10 PM5/10/12
to pico-SAM9G45 Mini-Box.com ARM embedded system board
hello, i have no output to the dbgu port at all.

i am using a ttl to rs232 shifter like this one http://proto-pic.co.uk/rs232-shifter-smd/
connected to a serial port using standard 115200 no flow control 8-1
in hyper terminal.

i have swapped out the rx0 tx0 and am getting flickering on the lights
on the shifter board but no text in hyper terminal.

i have the standard boot command params in the kernel =>
console=ttyS0, 115200

i have tried ice cream 4.0; angstrom console standard and custom
kernels with no luck

any ideas where i might be going wrong?

Nicu Pavel

May 11, 2012, 2:40:56 AM5/11/12
to pico-s...@googlegroups.com
If you are using one of our images, we can rule out bad software setup
parameters. Does the images finish loading (ie see anything on
screen/have network ping) ?
If yes then it might be an issue between our board and this converter,
and I'll forward this email to the hardware guys.

If not, then maybe the image doesn't start at all, (meaning something
is not correctly written to the microSD), which might be solved by
writing to another type of microSD.

Nicu.

Daniel Palmer

May 11, 2012, 2:44:00 AM5/11/12
to pico-s...@googlegroups.com
You should at the very least get the output from at91boot.. if you don't even get that your setup isn't right.

LCRM

May 11, 2012, 3:27:19 AM5/11/12
to pico-SAM9G45 Mini-Box.com ARM embedded system board
Hi Nicu,

Thank you for your prompt reply.

On May 11, 7:40 am, Nicu Pavel <npa...@mini-box.com> wrote:
> > hello, i have no output to the dbgu port at all.
>
> > i am using a ttl to rs232 shifter like this onehttp://proto-pic.co.uk/rs232-shifter-smd/
> > connected to a serial port using standard 115200 no flow control 8-1
> > in hyper terminal.
>
> > i have swapped out the rx0 tx0 and am getting flickering on the lights
> > on the shifter board but no text in hyper terminal.
>
> > i have the standard boot command params in the kernel =>
> > console=ttyS0, 115200
>
> > i have tried ice cream 4.0; angstrom console standard and custom
> > kernels with no luck
>
> If you are using one of our images, we can rule out bad software setup
> parameters. Does the images finish loading (ie see anything on
> screen/have network ping) ?

I have a pretty good working system off of the angstrom console image
from arm.mini-box.com.
I have a static IP address with a fixed mac address and persistent /
etc/resolv.conf - allowing me ssh and opkg updates etc.

Just nothing out in the HyperTerminal screen.

> If yes then it might be an issue between our board and this converter,
> and I'll forward this email to the hardware guys.
>
> If not, then maybe the image doesn't start at all, (meaning something
> is not correctly written to the microSD), which might be solved by
> writing to another type of microSD.

I have two different microSD cards a 4GB and a 2GB and have flashed a
combination of aongstrom and android images onto each with no success.

> Nicu.

LCRM

May 11, 2012, 3:29:35 AM5/11/12
to pico-SAM9G45 Mini-Box.com ARM embedded system board
I am hoping there might be another way to output my debug code out of
a USB port perhaps.

I spoke with the people I got the shifter board from and they
suggested swapping the RXD0 and TXD0 which I did but all that did was
swap the activity lights on the shifter board (i.e. the TX light now
flashes instead of the RX) during boot time.

Nicu Pavel

May 21, 2012, 2:03:51 AM5/21/12
to pico-s...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

> I am hoping there might be another way to output my debug code out of
> a USB port perhaps.
>
> I spoke with the people I got the shifter board from and they
> suggested swapping the RXD0 and TXD0 which I did but all that did was
> swap the activity lights on the shifter board (i.e. the TX light now
> flashes instead of the RX) during boot time.

Sorry for the late reply. Our engineer looked at your adapter
schematic, and told me it should work if:

TX should be wired to RXD0 on picoSAM9
RX should be wired to TXD0 on picoSAM9
VCC to 3.3V
GND to GND.

Which might be similar to what you switched, but worth checking again.
Also make sure HyperTerminal is set to 115200, 8N1

Nicu

LCRM

May 21, 2012, 3:12:42 PM5/21/12
to pico-S...@googlegroups.com, pico-s...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Thank you very much Nicu, and thanks to your engineer - the information you provided worked.

I was very close and had to use straight through on the rxd0 and txd0 but swapped the 5v for the 3.3v and I was greeted with the angstrom ascii art.

Brilliant, I can move onto my next step - which is running the pico sam9g45 as a wireless access point :)

Andrea Bombelli

Jun 21, 2012, 7:54:30 AM6/21/12
to pico-S...@googlegroups.com, pico-s...@googlegroups.com
hi,
 i'm using this ttl-rs232 converter,
http://www.ebay.it/itm/MAX232-RS232-a-TTL-Converter-Adapter-for-Atmel-AVR-PIC-/280593080171?pt=Componenti_elettronici_attivi&hash=item4154a69f6b#ht_1992wt_1325
 based on max232
and i am having the same problem...
i tried vcc on 3v and on 5v but the only character that i can see on output is "ü"

have you any ideas?

p.s.
the micro sd card is not inserted

Daniel Palmer

Jun 21, 2012, 7:58:37 AM6/21/12
to pico-s...@googlegroups.com
You shouldn't really attach 5v.. but I don't think you'll get any output without an SD with the bootloader on it.

Andrea Bombelli

Jun 21, 2012, 8:19:17 AM6/21/12
to pico-S...@googlegroups.com, pico-s...@googlegroups.com
hi Daniel, thank you for the quick response!!!
ok :)
i've inserted the microsd card with an angstorm release with GUI but...nothung.. the LCC remains off and DBGU does not show anything...

You think it's an hardware problem? the card is arrived this morning direct from US...

Il giorno giovedì 21 giugno 2012 13:58:37 UTC+2, Daniel ha scritto:
You shouldn't really attach 5v.. but I don't think you'll get any output without an SD with the bootloader on it.

Daniel Palmer

Jun 21, 2012, 8:24:36 AM6/21/12
to pico-s...@googlegroups.com
If you can boot up linux try cat'ing something to /dev/ttyS0 (I think thats right) and see if anything comes out. If you attach RX to TX on the board, cat something to /dev/ttyS0 while cat'ing from /dev/ttyS0 you should see the input come straight back. If that "loopback" test works then it's something to do with the max232 board.

ad...@comus.ro

Aug 30, 2013, 11:13:00 AM8/30/13
to pico-S...@googlegroups.com
I'm struggling getting some output from DBGU too but I discovered that when the board is completely disconnected (also not powerd) a continuity test between each pin of J7 buzzes. Is this normal or my board is broken?

ad...@comus.ro

Sep 1, 2013, 2:23:54 PM9/1/13
to pico-S...@googlegroups.com
Actually I found that the Angstrom images with kernel 2.6.32.9 weren't working (no dbgu and usb keyboards even if recognized <dmesg> weren't typing and leds weren't lightening). Just replacing boot.bin and linux.bin with what is now labeled as latest boot.bin and uImage <renamed into linux.bin> gave me both dbgu output and keyboard functionality.