compiling kernel for 7" LCD

João M. S. Silva

Mar 10, 2013, 7:17:28 PM3/10/13
to pico-S...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

We tried Angstrom GUI version on pico-SAM9G45 with the INNOLUX FGD700C4001 7" TFT but it did not work correctly in graphical terms.

However, we were able to login remotely and the machine seemed to be running correctly.

From what I've read in the Wiki, for the 7" LCD we need to compile a new kernel. However, the instructions here:

  http://arm.mini-box.com/index.php?title=Kernel_changes_for_custom_hardware#How_to_compile_kernel_for_a_7.22_touchscreen

seem to apply only to Android. Is this correct?

I'm using the
picopc-2.6.32 branch:

[jmss@poe kernel]$ git branch -a
* minibox-picopc-2.6.32
  minibox-picopc-android-3.1
  remotes/origin/HEAD -> origin/minibox-picopc-android-3.1
  remotes/origin/minibox-picopc-2.6.32
  remotes/origin/minibox-picopc-2.6.32-gingerbread
  remotes/origin/minibox-picopc-3.1
  remotes/origin/minibox-picopc-3.1-testing
  remotes/origin/minibox-picopc-android-3.1
  remotes/origin/minibox-picopc-android-3.1-testing
  remotes/origin/minibox-sprinkler-android-3.1

but I don't see "
kernel/arch/arm/mach-at91/board-picosam9g45.c" or any occurrence of "PICOSAM9G45_BIG_DISPLAY" in the kernel tree.

Can someone help?

Thanks.

João M. S. Silva

Mar 10, 2013, 11:16:19 PM3/10/13
to pico-S...@googlegroups.com
I now tried with the gingerbread branch:

[jmss@poe kernel]$ git branch -a
  minibox-picopc-2.6.32
* minibox-picopc-2.6.32-gingerbread

  minibox-picopc-android-3.1
  remotes/origin/HEAD -> origin/minibox-picopc-android-3.1
  remotes/origin/minibox-picopc-2.6.32
  remotes/origin/minibox-picopc-2.6.32-gingerbread
  remotes/origin/minibox-picopc-3.1
  remotes/origin/minibox-picopc-3.1-testing
  remotes/origin/minibox-picopc-android-3.1
  remotes/origin/minibox-picopc-android-3.1-testing
  remotes/origin/minibox-sprinkler-android-3.1

but I still don't see the file to edit. Not even the .config file seems to refer the big display definition.

Nicu Pavel

Mar 11, 2013, 1:27:27 AM3/11/13
to pico-S...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 1:17 AM, João M. S. Silva <joao.m.sa...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

We tried Angstrom GUI version on pico-SAM9G45 with the INNOLUX FGD700C4001 7" TFT but it did not work correctly in graphical terms.

However, we were able to login remotely and the machine seemed to be running correctly.

From what I've read in the Wiki, for the 7" LCD we need to compile a new kernel. However, the instructions here:

  http://arm.mini-box.com/index.php?title=Kernel_changes_for_custom_hardware#How_to_compile_kernel_for_a_7.22_touchscreen

seem to apply only to Android. Is this correct?

Those modifications should work outside Android too. Use the 3.1 branch that's what's on Angstrom anyway.
If you need to stick to 2.6.32 for some reason, edit arch/arm/at91/board-sam9g45.c and replace definitions of LCD parameters with the ones here:

for Feigeda/FGD display.

Regards,
Nicu Pavel

I'm using the
picopc-2.6.32 branch:

[jmss@poe kernel]$ git branch -a
* minibox-picopc-2.6.32
  minibox-picopc-android-3.1
  remotes/origin/HEAD -> origin/minibox-picopc-android-3.1
  remotes/origin/minibox-picopc-2.6.32
  remotes/origin/minibox-picopc-2.6.32-gingerbread
  remotes/origin/minibox-picopc-3.1
  remotes/origin/minibox-picopc-3.1-testing
  remotes/origin/minibox-picopc-android-3.1
  remotes/origin/minibox-picopc-android-3.1-testing
  remotes/origin/minibox-sprinkler-android-3.1

but I don't see "
kernel/arch/arm/mach-at91/board-picosam9g45.c" or any occurrence of "PICOSAM9G45_BIG_DISPLAY" in the kernel tree.

Can someone help?

Thanks.

João M. S. Silva

Mar 11, 2013, 12:28:30 PM3/11/13
to pico-S...@googlegroups.com

Those modifications should work outside Android too. Use the 3.1 branch that's what's on Angstrom anyway.
If you need to stick to 2.6.32 for some reason, edit arch/arm/at91/board-sam9g45.c and replace definitions of LCD parameters with the ones here:

for Feigeda/FGD display.

 I'm now using the 3.1 branch:

[jmss@poe kernel]$ git branch -a
  minibox-picopc-2.6.32
  minibox-picopc-2.6.32-gingerbread
* minibox-picopc-3.1

  minibox-picopc-android-3.1
  remotes/origin/HEAD -> origin/minibox-picopc-android-3.1
  remotes/origin/minibox-picopc-2.6.32
  remotes/origin/minibox-picopc-2.6.32-gingerbread
  remotes/origin/minibox-picopc-3.1
  remotes/origin/minibox-picopc-3.1-testing
  remotes/origin/minibox-picopc-android-3.1
  remotes/origin/minibox-picopc-android-3.1-testing
  remotes/origin/minibox-sprinkler-android-3.1

but I still don't see the file "arch/arm/at91/board-sam9g45.c" or any occurrence of
"PICOSAM9G45_BIG_DISPLAY" in any file from the kernel tree. I must me doing something wrong...

Will image
4.0.3 alpha 1 - based on kernel version 3.1 (2012-08-02) work out-of-the box with the 7" display?

Thanks and best regards.

João M. S. Silva

Mar 12, 2013, 11:22:20 AM3/12/13
to pico-S...@googlegroups.com
I'm attaching a photograph of what we got when we booted Angstrom GUI version.

I've tried Android G and Android I and the result was similar: the image is divided in those rectangles with the same dimensions, although the contents of the leftmost rectangle are different (in Android I it looks there is a background like from a beach or so and I could make it change with the movement of the mouse).

Maybe the LCD is not working OK? Or is this expected with all the pre-built images we've tested unless we build a new kernel?

Thanks.
2013-03-09 19.36.38.jpg

Nicu Pavel

Mar 12, 2013, 2:17:29 PM3/12/13
to pico-S...@googlegroups.com
No Android ICS was build with this display so it should display ok. I would check if you inserted the LCD data cable correctly, and try to reseat it.

Nicu

João M. S. Silva

Mar 12, 2013, 3:42:37 PM3/12/13
to pico-S...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Nicu. It seems that in fact the display is not good, we are returning it. Unfortunately the stock availability of the LCD panel is low.

Nikos Fessas

Jul 10, 2013, 4:40:03 AM7/10/13
to pico-S...@googlegroups.com, joao.m.sa...@gmail.com
Just to let you know, your LCD is working correctly, try loading the Android 4.0.3.
That's what I got in my case..

My question is, will there EVER be a correct distribution of android or angstrom that WORKS with 7" INNOLUX ?

Please give me a helping hand here, because right now it's just a brick, since Android 4 is a bit heavy for an OS

Nikos Fessas

Jul 10, 2013, 4:41:37 AM7/10/13
to pico-S...@googlegroups.com, joao.m.sa...@gmail.com
And in order to clarify that, NO DISTRIBUTION WORKS with 7" display other than Android 4!

Nicu Pavel

Jul 10, 2013, 5:08:22 AM7/10/13
to pico-sam9g45, joao.m.sa...@gmail.com
You can always take the kernel from the Android 4 distro and replace it on a installation of Android 2.3 if you want 7" LCD support.

Nicu

Nikos Fessas

Jul 10, 2013, 6:25:22 AM7/10/13
to pico-S...@googlegroups.com, joao.m.sa...@gmail.com
And how do I calibrate the INNOLUX 7" Touch Screen on 2.3 ? (Just took Kernel from android 4 and worked, but screen needs calibration)

Nicu Pavel

Jul 10, 2013, 8:28:17 AM7/10/13
to pico-sam9g45
On Wed, Jul 10, 2013 at 1:25 PM, Nikos Fessas <nikos...@gmail.com> wrote:
And how do I calibrate the INNOLUX 7" Touch Screen on 2.3 ? (Just took Kernel from android 4 and worked, but screen needs calibration)

Running Calibrate app from android doesn't work ?

Nicu
Message has been deleted

Nicu Pavel

Jul 11, 2013, 10:27:04 AM7/11/13
to pico-sam9g45
Looks like the latest master branch from angstrom setup-scripts won't work with our recipes.
clean up all your working tree and restart with the updated instructions from wiki.
You need :
git clone git://github.com/Angstrom-distribution/setup-scripts.git -b angstrom-v2012.05-yocto1.2
instead of old command that didn't specify a branch.

Nicu

On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 3:13 PM, Nikos Fessas <nikos...@gmail.com> wrote:
I am now trying to compile an Angstrom image.
Following the instructions at the wiki brought me to this error in the final steps:

After Running :
MACHINE=picosam9 ./oebb.sh bitbake virtual/kernel
or
MACHINE=picosam9 ./oebb.sh bitbake console-image

Produces this at the end:
ERROR: No recipes available for:
  /home/linux-pc/setup-scripts/sources/meta-handheld/recipes-core/udev/udev_164.bbappend
  /home/linux-pc/setup-scripts/sources/meta-intel/meta-fri2/recipes-core/tiny-init/tiny-init.bbappend
ERROR: Command execution failed: Exited with 1

How do I fix that ?