Pikdev V1.2.0 available

Alain Gibaud

Jul 19, 2009, 5:01:08 PM7/19/09
to pickit...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

A new version of pikdev is available on

http://pikdev.free.fr

as a debian package.

However, the source tarball is not yet available due to problems
with this ?%?$$@##&@@!! automake/autoconf. For the moment, the build fails
from the tarball for mysterious reasons. Any automake guru here ?

This version (1.2.0) offers a new feature for C users (cpik compiler) : The
project widget now allows a one click access to any function, variable or
typedef in a project. For this feature, the source code is continuously
parsed during edition. This feature also works for ".slb" (sources libraries)
files, so any entry point in a source library can be reached quickly.

Really very handy when a project becomes important.

A minor improvement concern the support of very small computers (netbooks).
Works on my Asus EEE-PC under KDE4 and pk2cmd/PicKit 2.

Alain

Xiaofan Chen

Jul 20, 2009, 1:09:58 AM7/20/09
to pickit...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 5:01 AM, Alain Gibaud<alain....@free.fr> wrote:
> A new version of pikdev is available on
> http://pikdev.free.fr
> as a debian package.

Thanks.

> However, the source tarball is not yet available due to problems
> with this ?%?$$@##&@@!! automake/autoconf. For the moment, the build fails
> from the tarball for mysterious reasons. Any automake guru here ?

I hate autotools. I think it is one of the worst building tools in the
world and it produced huge and unreadable Makefile. Unfortunately
it still dominates in the open source world...

Could you use other build tools instead? I hear that Cmake is
good but I have no experiences with it.

--
Xiaofan http://mcuee.blogspot.com

Xiaofan Chen

Jul 20, 2009, 1:12:23 AM7/20/09
to pickit...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 1:09 PM, Xiaofan Chen<xiao...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> However, the source tarball is not yet available due to problems
>> with this ?%?$$@##&@@!! automake/autoconf. For the moment, the build fails
>> from the tarball for mysterious reasons. Any automake guru here ?
>
> I hate autotools. I think it is one of the worst building tools in the
> world and it produced huge and unreadable Makefile. Unfortunately
> it still dominates in the open source world...
>
> Could you use other build tools instead? I hear that Cmake is
> good but I have no experiences with it.

On the other hand, maybe you can post the non-working
tar balls and the error messages. Maybe there are autotools
experts who read the list. Maybe gnupic is a better place
to ask the question.

--
Xiaofan http://mcuee.blogspot.com

Alain Gibaud

Jul 20, 2009, 3:45:16 PM7/20/09
to pickit...@googlegroups.com
Le Monday 20 July 2009 07:09:58 Xiaofan Chen, vous avez écrit :
> On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 5:01 AM, Alain Gibaud<alain....@free.fr> wrote:
> > A new version of pikdev is available on
> > http://pikdev.free.fr
> > as a debian package.
>
> Thanks.
>
> > However, the source tarball is not yet available due to problems
> > with this ?%?$$@##&@@!! automake/autoconf. For the moment, the build
> > fails from the tarball for mysterious reasons. Any automake guru here ?
>
> I hate autotools. I think it is one of the worst building tools in the
> world and it produced huge and unreadable Makefile. Unfortunately
> it still dominates in the open source world...

I totally agree on this point. I now uses qmake for my new developments, but
it will take time to move this project to qmake, due to its size, icon
management and strong connexion between KDE / Kdevelop and Autotools.

My current problem is the following: the makefile does not activate moc
so the Qt meta-model does not exist, and the link fail.
However, all work properly when I build from kdevelop, so I am able to
generate the executable.

I certainly made a mistake, but I need to investigate more deeply to find it.

any idea ?

Alain

funlw65

Jul 24, 2009, 1:25:02 PM7/24/09
to pickit-devel
Binary version 1.2.0 not working under SuSE 11.1 . But version 1.1.0
is working ok, compiled from sources.

And another thing: I can compile PikLab under Mac OS X 10.4 with the
help of Fink
but is impossible to do it with PikDev because of parallel port
dependencies (is trying to include a parallel header file - don't
remember exactly but I know
is available only on linux).

Alain Gibaud

Jul 24, 2009, 2:37:01 PM7/24/09
to pickit...@googlegroups.com
Quoting funlw65 <fun...@gmail.com>:

> Binary version 1.2.0 not working under SuSE 11.1 . But version 1.1.0
> is working ok, compiled from sources.

Hi, I am sorry. I currently have problem with automake/autoconf and the build
does not work from tarball. Since I am not currently at home, I can't solve this
problem immedialtely.

> And another thing: I can compile PikLab under Mac OS X 10.4 with the
> help of Fink
> but is impossible to do it with PikDev because of parallel port
> dependencies (is trying to include a parallel header file - don't
> remember exactly but I know
> is available only on linux).

Pikdev uses the parallel port in user mode, I suppose that this header is
related to this point. I am surprised, because piklab was based on my source
code. I recommand to examine the differences between the codes and tell me what
difference you found.

Alain

funlw65

Jul 25, 2009, 9:47:04 AM7/25/09
to pickit-devel
The exact error is:

In file included from ProConfigWidget.cpp:25:
uparport.hh:19:28: error: linux/ppdev.h: No such file or directory

I think is long time when you saw last time piklab sources. Is about
0.15.4 version and it have a dedicated subdirectory for ports.
I think it was modified with portability in mind.

Right now, your software is the only one dealing with Pickit 2 (any
time can lose this advantage so please do something) - but Piklab
offer rich features. I use jal2 and picc, so ...

Alain Gibaud

Jul 26, 2009, 8:49:53 AM7/26/09
to pickit...@googlegroups.com
Selon funlw65 <fun...@gmail.com>:

> The exact error is:
>
> In file included from ProConfigWidget.cpp:25:

Mmm This is currently vacation (in an isle) for me, so Ican't do anything
immediatly. Since the parallel port is not useful four you, you can try to
comment out the faulty #include and the code which uses parport in
PrgConfigWidget.cpp.

> uparport.hh:19:28: error: linux/ppdev.h: No such file or directory
>
> I think is long time when you saw last time piklab sources. Is about
> 0.15.4 version and it have a dedicated subdirectory for ports.
> I think it was modified with portability in mind.

Since MAC doesn't have parallel port, I guess that the code is simply
commented out by a #if directive.

Please tell me if you succeeded.

Alain

funlw65

Jul 29, 2009, 8:08:25 AM7/29/09
to pickit-devel
Ok, commented all references to parallel port also in hardware.cc .
Excluded from project uparport.hh and uparport.cc files. Compiled
without problems but at running time I get a crash.

And I think is because your program is set for parallel port by
default.
I can modify that "if then else" routine where I get the crash but is
better to change the default port... Where is that setting?
These days I was ill and I'm not entirely recovered. I can't stay to
much at computer...

The crash is at (pseudo code):
if port_type is,
else show error : unknown port type!

And of course, port_type is "parallel" by default - exactly what I
disabled by comment.

It require also cosmetic modifications (removing also from interface
what is to be removed)... but I don't have the resources right now...
it will take time...

On Jul 26, 3:49 pm, Alain Gibaud <alain.gib...@free.fr> wrote:

Alain Gibaud

Jul 29, 2009, 9:36:50 AM7/29/09
to pickit...@googlegroups.com
Quoting funlw65 <fun...@gmail.com>:

> Ok, commented all references to parallel port also in hardware.cc .
> Excluded from project uparport.hh and uparport.cc files. Compiled
> without problems but at running time I get a crash.

OK,

> And I think is because your program is set for parallel port by
> default.

Yes,

> I can modify that "if then else" routine where I get the crash but is
> better to change the default port... Where is that setting?

.kde/share/config/pikdevrc

please replace
programmer-engine=Builtin
with
programmer-engine=pk2cmd

It should be sufficient

> These days I was ill and I'm not entirely recovered. I can't stay to
> much at computer...
>
> The crash is at (pseudo code):
> if port_type is,
> else show error : unknown port type!
>
> And of course, port_type is "parallel" by default - exactly what I
> disabled by comment.
>
> It require also cosmetic modifications (removing also from interface
> what is to be removed)... but I don't have the resources right now...
> it will take time...

I will se this problem when I will be at home. Please send me a (private )
message in 2 weeks, so I will not forget.

Alain