Pickit3 and PICkit Serial vs. PICkit2

Rufus

Jan 28, 2011, 2:44:41 PM1/28/11
to pickit-devel
I had a laugh at the video blog telling me how my PICkit3 was not the
great investment it could have been, and how I've gotten (mostly)
lesser functionality than the PICkit2.

When I plugged in my PICkit serial, I accidentally hosed it by
unplugging it during a firmware upgrade. but when I popped it open, I
saw it had a set of ICSP feedthrough holes and reprogrammed it easy as
you please.

Curious, I popped open my PICkit 3, and if the pins I think are the
ICSP are the ones I saw, THEY'VE EVEN CHANGED THE PIN SPACING.

Rufus

Jan 28, 2011, 2:47:25 PM1/28/11
to pickit-devel
When I heard that PICkit 2 had an analyzer function and could be
hooked up to non-MPLAB development systems, I got even more ticked.

So it made me curious: Is the PICkit Serial Analyzer a PICkit2 in
disguise?

Rufus

Jon Chandler

Jan 28, 2011, 3:29:43 PM1/28/11
to pickit...@googlegroups.com
The schematics for both are published in the respective user manuals. I
think the circuits
are substantially the same but there may be differences with pullup
resistors and other
minor changes.

Jon

Dan.B...@microchip.com

Jan 28, 2011, 3:43:19 PM1/28/11
to pickit...@googlegroups.com
They are similar, but different. PKSA likely started with the PICkit 2
design and made some minor modifications.

Dan