How to speedup a couple of things (show image, manual navigation etc.)

Slarti Bartfass

May 5, 2021, 7:18:33 AM5/5/21
to PicApport
I really would love to use Picaport more often but I experience a couple very long taking actions which prevent the daily use on my side. Not sure if its my setup (Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2310M CPU @ 2.10GHz, 6 GB RAM, SSD for main system, 2.5" HDD for images, 200..700 MBits WiFi from Laptop & Smartphone to the AP), an un-optimized config or a general limitation of Picapport:
  • It takes me multiple seconds getting from any thumbnail to the large image
  • it takes several seconds to start Zooming into an image
  •  navigating back and forth between images by using cursor keys takes the same long time
What can I do about that?

E. Schreiner

May 5, 2021, 7:41:40 AM5/5/21
to PicApport
It takes me multiple seconds getting from any thumbnail to the large image
This is just missing CPU power on your server together with slow network. PicApport resizes the original jpg files to size size of the device where the image will be displayed. This takes CPU power.
You can optimize this by using the foto.jpg.usecache and foto.jpg.* config parameters as described on: https://wiki.picapport.de/display/PICE/PicApport-Server+Guide

it takes several seconds to start Zooming into an image
This is just Network speed that is needed to transfer the original Image (which can be quite large.....)

navigating back and forth between images by using cursor keys takes the same long time
May be a combination of CPU, network and memory
Depending on your java environment and number of photos make sure
that at least 1-2Gig of memory  is available for Picapport (Check the logfiles  and see https://wiki.picapport.de/display/PICE/PicApport+Installation+Guide for more details)

Our online Demo gives you an Idea of an average speed you can expect. My private server at home is an i5 with 16gig of RAM(4gig for picapport) and  60.000 photos is  much faster (in the LAN) than the online demo (Without any optimisations like caching etc....).

Slarti Bartfass

May 7, 2021, 4:40:23 AM5/7/21
to PicApport
Thank you for your fast and helpful reply. To summarize: seams like my Core i3+6 GB ram server and my 500 MBit local WiFi could be to slow for Picapport. Are there any plans to get a similar performant user experience like we are used to getting on popular photo websites? (see Flickr for example to name just a random site). They are even way more bandwidth and CPU power limited (multiple orders of magnitude more parallel user requests) but the experienced responsiveness and quality is way better. I'm aware that this comparison makes no sense at all in terms of budget, business model, stuff size, scale and more. I just wonder as an critical thinking engineer if there are easy ways to implement a way improved responsiveness without calling for ultra fast server CPUs and network bandwidth? Something like intelligent pre-processing of the next images left and right of the current one, caching and more. I guess typical home NAS devices, you guys are looking for to negotiate contracts to let Picpport be preinstalled, are even less performant then my Core i3+ 6GB ram.

Don't take me wrong - I find Picapport a very cool and promising product with a huge potential I would really love to use on a day to day base. But in the current state I do experience it even my not to high-expactations family wouldn't use it too much because of the huge latencies. I will try to find out if an optimized configuration will improve responsiveness good enough.

Thank you very much for your support and the good work!

Slarti Bartfass

May 14, 2021, 3:12:26 AM5/14/21
to PicApport
Restarted the server with 3G auf memory limit now. What I observe using "top" and "iotop" is this: During inital scan java is seemingly only using 1 full CPU core of 2.
Unfortunately even with 4G memory after scanning all ~260k image files (and reducing the number to 130k images when the initial scan is finished, deduplication?)
1 hour later Picapport has stopped working again. Log says nothing. Any further suggestions?

E. Schreiner

May 14, 2021, 3:31:36 AM5/14/21
to PicApport
the crawler runs in it's own thread so just using one CPU seem to be OK.
do you use a 32-Bit (then your process limit is just 2Gig) or 64 Bit operating system what I recommend....
Can you provide me some log-files (from the Server start and initial scan of the 130K photos?) I'm almost 100% sure that you have memory issues

Have you checked: https://wiki.picapport.de/display/PICE/PicApport+Installation+Guide for sample memory configurations?
The second row in the table could be interesting for you please make sure that you set the -Dstorage.diskCache.bufferSize=1024 or may be better for your low memory system 255  (The default of the OrientDB is 4096 witch is far to high for your system)
In the coming version 10 I've added some functionality to get better defaults for this

Once we have your system configured I would kindly ask you to provide me all the information to add your configuration in our example table.