PicApport in FreeBSD Jail (TrueNAS-12.0-U8.1)

micke...@gmail.com

Nov 9, 2022, 3:35:58 PM11/9/22
to PicApport
Hi,

after running PicApport stable for years now in a docker compose environment on an RPi3 it was time for a change and I successfully made it. So this post is here to share my experiences.

In the past I shared the photo folders via SMB to my RPi and mounted it into the container. Now I needed the Pi for other purposes so I decided to move this service directly to my NAS which is a FreeBSD based TrueNAS (v 12.0-U8.1).

The only (and very cool way) to run this service there is a FreeBSD Jail. As PicApport is written in Java, the dependencies on that system are not a big problem.

In the end I just need to konfigure a new jail, install the right Java pakage, configure PicApport as a service and care a bit for start/stop scripts.

Here is all you need to kickstart your own FreeBSD Jail:

I hope especially TrueNAS users will enjoy it !

Best
Michael

Lee Loncosky

Dec 19, 2022, 10:05:31 AM12/19/22
to PicApport
This was simple and very helpful, thank you for the scripts and instruction. I too have just started running it on Truenas 13 here, super nice software.

Lee Loncosky

Dec 19, 2022, 11:20:28 AM12/19/22
to PicApport
Hold up, I need to check something about the startup script.

Does the PicApport server startup always rebuild the thumbnails every time? That is what I am getting here with the script from this conversation.

micke...@gmail.com

Dec 19, 2022, 12:40:48 PM12/19/22
to PicApport
Cheers!

You're right and thia is intended. In my docker or jail version I have never managed to get a clean shutdown of the buildin database. That always results in a courrupted state of the db. That is why I always rebuild it at startup. Because every info is stored in the picture files themselves no data gets lost (my favorite PicApport feature No.1).

TrueNAS should be restarted so often, so its jails. However if you think you need it, feel free to add a shutdown script for the jail and comment the gist. I am happy to add your suggestions.

Regards,
Michael