Date/Time Tags used for Sorting

Kris

Mar 4, 2023, 8:48:57 AM3/4/23
to PicApport
Hi,
I'm new to PicApport and playing with it to understand how it works and what is best to organize my photos.
I'm trying to understand which Exif tags are used for date/time based sorting in the thumbnail view or slideshow or in the timeline.
The documentaion describes the searchabe tags for this:
  • xmp:CreateDate (write:always)
  • exif:DateTimeOriginal (write:always)
  • Exif SubIFD:Date/Time Original (write:always)

But which one is used for sorting if all these tags exist but perhaps differ?
In particular if I would add a time zone offset to one of these tags, would PicApport consider this? So having "2023-03-04 00:00:00+00:00" and "2023-03-04 00:30:00+01:00" and sorting this by date, oldest first, I would like to see the second first since it is actually 30 minutes older ...
Exif knows a "OffsetTimeOriginal" which I would prefer to use instead changing DateTimeOriginal etc., but that isn't mentioned in the PicApport Docs (or I didn't find it).

If PicApport doesn't consider any time zone in the tags, I guess I would need to convert the various datetime tags to UTC.

Any idea?

Thanks