PicApport ID and MyTags

Kris

May 3, 2023, 4:09:37 PM5/3/23
to PicApport
Hi,
I've some questions regarding the PicApport ID and MyTags.

1. It is my understanding that this ID is saved in the metadata of the jpg file itself, but not in the database. Is that correct?
2. It is mentioned that the ID is unique, is that even true when having another PicApport installation and different pictures/files? In other words can I assume that two files in two different installations can't have the same ID? (At least if the ID is created at different times should the ID depend on the actual time?)
3. MyTags are stored in username.tags and there I can also find the ID. You also see the filename of the jpg file, but with complete path. So assuming I would migrate to another box starting with a fresh db, I guess I would need to edit the tags file if I want to get the user tags picked up?
4. The user tags, are they stored in the tags file only or is this info also stored in the database? (and possibly picked up by the crawler?)

Thanks in advance
Kris

E. Schreiner

May 4, 2023, 6:26:52 AM5/4/23
to PicApport
   Only set if MyTags or Likes are used or if parameter robot.always.create.id is set. see: https://wiki.picapport.de/display/PICE/Description+of+Metadata+used+by+PicApport
    PicApport uses Java's  UUID.randomUUID. See : https://stackoverflow.com/questions/2513573/how-good-is-javas-uuid-randomuuid
3. MyTags are stored in username.tags and there I can also find the ID. You also see the filename of the jpg file, but with complete path. So assuming I would migrate to another box starting with a fresh db, I guess I would need to edit the tags file if I want to get the user tags picked up?
    We spent a lot of time to make sure, that usertags will not get lost when you move pictures around. Anyway we strongly recommend to make a Backup before doing "bigger" reorganizations.
4. The user tags, are they stored in the tags file only or is this info also stored in the database? (and possibly picked up by the crawler?)
    The idea of the picapport database is that it can always be recreated based on the information stored in the .jpg file and the  userID.tags file without loosing information.
    The userTags will not be stored in the .jpg files because of the following reasons:
    - if you have hundreds of users with hundreds if tags it may not be fit in the jpg file.
    - userTags are "private"  and cannot be seen outside of PicApport
    - userTags will be stored in the database  and the userID.tags file which will be used if the database is recreated.

regards Eric