Finite State-Machines example in Chapter 2

Glenn Erickson

Aug 7, 2015, 10:34:05 PM8/7/15
to PIC24 Assembly-to-C Book
While a pain in the A__ to decipher, I finally "got it"  Perhaps it was to save time but a graphic of the logic for ONE Dout MIGHT have shortened the comprehension-time.  You all might also give a reason FOR such a circuit, otherwise it is only an interesting piece of trivia.  I fail to see how it actually applies to programming  microcontroller.

Robert Reese

Aug 8, 2015, 1:07:57 PM8/8/15
to pic24-assemb...@googlegroups.com
So, this chapter is a "Newbie Introduction to Computer Architecture" -- our students coming into this course have had computer programming courses and a digital logic course, but they do not know much about computer architecture. They do not know about instructions, machine code, memory, fetch/execute cycle etc. This chapter shows them how to build a very simple "computer' that has memory, fetches/executes instructions etc.  This way, they are familiar with these concepts before the next chapter that introduces the PIC24 instructions/architecture.

If a reader is already familiar with these concepts, then this chapter can be skipped. For our students, it serves as a useful bridge from the digital logic course to this course. This shows them how to use their digital logic skills to build this simple 'computer'.

Bob Reese