Things to know for this week

1 view

Church Office

Mar 24, 2023, 5:02:00 PM3/24/23
to pic-...@googlegroups.com

Want to stay on our list? If you haven’t already, please click here to send a reply message that will let us know. We may be changing the ways we communicate in the coming months, and want to make sure that we don't leave anyone out who wishes to continue hearing from us.

  • Here's a link to Sunday's bulletin and the current prayer list
  • This week’s altar flowers are given by Danny and Marie Geisinger, in celebration of their anniversary. Would you like to honor a loved one or special occasion and help beautify the sanctuary? Look for the signup sheet on the hall bulletin board or email the church office.  Deadline for May orders: April 25.
  • Sunday afternoon concert—3/26 @ 3:00 PM: Cathedral Classics, Baroque music presented by the combined choirs of CASF and Hood College, along with full orchestra in Hood’s newly renovated Coffman Chapel.
  • If you missed this week’s Lenten Midweek Devotional, you can still find it on our website. Video devotionals are published at 7:00 PM each Wednesday in Lent. Links go out via email and Facebook.
  • Join us for brunch on Easter Sunday from 8:30 to 10 AM. A sign-up sheet has been posted; please plan to bring your Easter brunch additions before 8:30 if at all possible. Oven space is limited, so it would be appreciated if hot dishes can be brought already warmed. (Coffee and pastries will be available following the sunrise service, but the full brunch will start later.)
  • The bon voyage celebration for Kim and Ben Lewis has been moved to April 16. Kim will be retiring and moving next month. Please join us in wishing Kim and Ben well in their move.
  • Church Council will also meet on April 16.

Church Office

Mar 31, 2023, 5:40:32 PM3/31/23
to pic-...@googlegroups.com

Want to stay on our list? If you haven’t already, please click here to send a reply message that will let us know. We may be changing the ways we communicate in the coming months, and want to make sure that we don't leave anyone out who wishes to continue hearing from us.

View/print this message in your browser

PASTOR'S CORNER - March 31

A Lenten prayer by Johann Friedrich Starck (1680-1756) to guide us as we enter into Holy Week:

Jesus, I will ponder now

   On Your holy passion;

With Your Spirit me endow

   For such meditation.

Grant that I in love and faith

   May the image cherish

Of Your suff’ring, pain, and death

   That I may not perish (LSB 440:1)

Thus, O faithful Savior, I beg Your gracious assistance, when in spirit I behold You journeying to that city in which the sentence of death already awaits You, where Your enemies who hate You rejoice without cause at Your coming.

            This present season, which Your infinite goodness has again permitted me to reach, reminds me of the bitter suffering that You willingly submitted to in accordance with the counsel of Your heavenly Father. You did it as the Lamb of God that You might take away the sins of the entire world and render satisfaction for them. No man can by any means redeem his brother, nor give to God a ransom for him; for the redemption of their souls is costly, and it never ends. And so You took pity on those whose flesh and blood You assumed in the fulness of time. By Your bloody atonement You have regained for them the peace that they had broken and lost by their sins.

            Make me able to ponder these important matters in a fruitful manner by Your power, for without You I can do nothing. Enlighten my understanding that in Your light I may behold the greatness of Your love and compassion, and may be prompted to render You due thanks. Sanctify also my will that I may accept and apply to my benefit the blessings that You acquired by Your death. You loved me before I knew You. You gave Yourself for me at a time when I knew nothing of You. You suffered shame, scorn, disgrace, and manifold afflictions to gain happiness for me. All this You have done for me, for my benefit. Ought I not then to sing Your praises? Ought I not laud and magnify You on account of Your passion? Yes, thousand, thousand thanks shall be, dearest Jesus unto Thee (LSB 420). A thousand times, dearest Jesus, shall praise and glory be given to You, O conqueror of hell and death!

            I am now Your own, and You are my joy and my delight. May I soon behold You, most beautiful Sun, in Your glory, now that Your suffering is ended! Come to me, faithful friend of my soul, and unite Yourself with me. You died for all, hence also for me, in order that those who live might no longer live for themselves but for Him who dies and rose again. And so enter my soul and give it life. Let me ever contemplate how much my redemption has cost You. Let me ever bear in mind that You chose to endure the most shameful death, in order to deliver me from eternal death. Let that fact ever be before my eyes as a solemn reminder that You chose to lose Your life because I chose to live for myself and for the world; and let me also be moved by it, to live for You and to follow You. Pluck me as a brand from the fire, that Your suffering for me may not have been in vain.

            Let me become Your disciple, whom nothing shall be able to separate from You. And grant me Your Spirit, that during this holy Lententide, He may bring home to me all that I hear and perceive of Your bitter suffering and death. Give me grace to be constantly occupied with You in these days, and to find my delight in You, and thus to secure for myself a blessing that abides forever. If the world tries to tempt me to depravity and ease, if Satan tries to disquiet and distract me by all kinds of disturbances, if my corrupt flesh and blood draws me away and entices me to evil, let me think of Your suffering, and with firm faith resist all these temptations, that they may not overcome and vanquish me. Help me to keep You in remembrance at all times, that I may be kept from sin, and finally enter into that glory to which You have provided me access by Your suffering and death.

Should some lust or sharp temptation

   Fascinate my sinful mind,

Draw me to your cross and passion,

   And new courage I shall find.

Or should Satan press me hard,

   Let me then be on my guard,

Saying, “Christ for me was wounded,”

   That the tempter flee confounded.

Amen. (LSB 421:2)

~ Starck’s Prayer Book: Revised Concordia Edition (CPH, 2009)

ANNOUNCEMENTS

    • This week's altar flowers are given by Kim Lewis, for the glory of God. Would you like to honor a loved one or special occasion and help beautify the sanctuary? Look for the signup sheet for altar flowers on the hall bulletin board or email the church office. Deadline for May orders: April 25.
    • Join us for brunch on Easter Sunday from 8:30 to 10 AM. A sign-up sheet has been posted; please plan to bring your Easter brunch additions before 8:30 if at all possible. Oven space is limited, so it would be appreciated if hot dishes can be brought already warmed. (Coffee and pastries will be available following the sunrise service, but the full brunch will start later.)
    • Adult Bible Study will not meet on Easter Sunday.
    • If you missed this week’s Lenten Midweek Devotional, you can still find it on our website
    • The bon voyage celebration for Kim and Ben Lewis has been moved to April 16. Kim will be retiring and moving next month. Please join us in wishing Kim and Ben well in their move.
    • Church Council will also meet on April 16.
    • Issues, Etc. is a radio talk show and podcast produced by Lutheran Public Radio in Collinsville, IL and hosted by LCMS Pastor Todd Wilken.  This week’s teachings include: The Hymn “O Lord, We Praise Thee,” The Seven Words of Christ from the Cross, The Hymn “Upon the Cross Extended,” Apparent Contradictions in the Events of Holy Week and more.  You can listen on-demand at issuesetc.org, the LPR mobile app and your favorite podcast provider.
    • Thank you for remembering to sign in on the attendance sheet by the door. It helps the Altar Guild and church office know how to plan.

    APRIL BIRTHDAYS

      1 - Kim Thomas

    10 - Doris Ochs

    10 - Hope Benjamin

    12 - Pastor Singer

    22 - Debbie Bolthouse

    =======================

    FAITH AND FINANCE

    FOOD FOR THOUGHT: Don’t Replace “And” with “Or”

    We’ve all heard that stewardship means giving to the church of our time, talents, and treasures. This trinity of stewardship helps us see that giving is not just about money, but about our whole lives. This helpful trinity reminds us that everything we have and are a gift from God, to be given back in service of His church. We can’t pick and choose when to serve God.

    Then the question arises: Can we give of our time and talents instead of our treasure? Or perhaps it is the other way round: Can we give of our treasures and not of our time and talents? But these are the wrong questions. The right question is, can we give of our time and talents in addition to our treasures? Yes, indeed, we are called to give of all three. The things that God gives us are not to be pitted against one another. Rather, they are given to us, and we are to press them all into God’s service for benefit of His church and our neighbors in need.

    Thus, we give all three. We give our treasure in the form of a generous, first-fruits proportion of our income. We give of our time in generosity for the benefit of Christ’s holy church. We give of our talents in the same manner. Since God gave us all these things, we are called to give generously of all these things in faith toward Him and in fervent love to our neighbors.

    ~LCMS Stewardship Ministry Resources

    STEWARDSHIP UPDATE

    Council would like to encourage intentional stewardship throughout the coming year, with Congregational support. Stewardship Pledge Recognition Sunday was held on March 26, 2023. In summary:

    • 16 pledges this year, compared with 17 pledges last year
    • 6 individuals pledged last year but not this year

    (2 family units have moved out of the area)

    • 5 individuals who did not pledge last year pledged this year
    • Total amount pledged in 2022: $89,756
    • Total amount pledged in 2023: $71,460

    Respectfully Submitted,

    ~Cindy Hofflinger

    $4458 needed weekly to meet budget

    I see that quite a few people have logged in to the new website; if you missed the introduction I sent out last week, here's a link. Please let me know if you need me to resend your invitation. I often hear that you enjoy Pastor's devotionals. This is your chance to see them all in one place–some have been only published in the bulletin, not sent out to this list–and comment on them, among other things!

     ~Sharon

    Church Office

    Apr 8, 2023, 6:45:49 PM4/8/23
    to pic-...@googlegroups.com
    • Sunrise service tomorrow @ 6:30 AM
    • Join us for brunch on Easter Sunday from 8:30 to 10 AM. Please plan to bring your Easter brunch additions before 8:30 if at all possible. Oven space is limited, so it would be appreciated if hot dishes can be brought already warmed. (Coffee and pastries will be available following the sunrise service, but the full brunch will start later.)
    • If you missed any of Pastor’s Lenten or Holy Week Devotionals, you can find them on our website.
    • The bon voyage celebration for Kim and Ben Lewis has been moved to April 16. Kim will be retiring and moving next month. Please join us in wishing Kim and Ben well in their move.
    • Church Council will also meet on April 16.

      Special thanks to the following people who sponsored Easter lilies for the sanctuary:

      In Memoriam. . .

      • Kim Lewis
        • Kim’s dad Dale Benzel
        • Ben’s mom Debbie Lewis
      • Danny & Marie Geisinger
        • Danny’s mother, Marie B. Geisinger
        • Our nieces, Cynthia Geisinger & Melissa Moore
        • Danny’s brothers, Mike, Keith, & Tim Geisinger
        • Marie’s parents, Frances & Cecil Arnlold
        • Marie’s sister, Alta Toms
        • Our dear friend Linda Harpel

      For all God’s blessings. . .

      • Billy Mariano & Desta Wright
      • Susan Bell
      • Patricia Pemberton
      • Dave and Cindy Hofflinger
      • Doris Ochs
      • Gloria Johannessen
      • Jean Samuel

      Please take your lilies home after the worship service tomorrow.

      Church Office

      Apr 14, 2023, 1:21:19 PM4/14/23
      to pic-...@googlegroups.com
      • This Sunday after church:
        • Farewell for Kim and Ben Lewis
        • Church Council meeting
      • This week’s altar flowers are given by Billy and Desta, for the glory of God. Would you like to honor a loved one or special occasion and help beautify the sanctuary? Look for the signup sheet on the hall bulletin board or email the church office.  Deadline for May orders: April 25.
      • A big thank-you to all who helped with Holy Week services and the Easter brunch!
      • Second Quarter Voters’ Meeting will be held after church on June 11.
      • If you are a member or regularly attend services at Peace in Christ, you have been assigned to one of our elders. A list is available on the bulletin board with contact information for our elders Susan Bell (household last names A – M) and Rick Wesenberg (household last names N – Z). As well as providing leadership, Elders assist the Pastor in keeping up with the status and spiritual welfare of those in the church.
      • Pastor Singer will be attending the Southeastern District Professional Church Workers Conference Monday – Wednesday this week, then he’ll be on vacation until April 28. During that time, please contact Pastor Richard Benjamin or your assigned Elder if you have an urgent need.
      • Do you know someone who lacks food, clothing, or shelter? Emergency Resource cards have been prepared with contact information for various aid agencies in Frederick. Feel free to grab a few to keep in your purse or car.

      APRIL BIRTHDAYS

        1 - Kim Thomas

      10 - Doris Ochs

      10 - Hope Benjamin

      12 - Pastor Singer

      22 - Debbie Bolthouse

      MAY ANNIVERSARY

      18 – Laura & Mark Battaglia

      MAY BIRTHDAYS

      11 – Shirley Williams

      12 – Garrett Mullins

      13 – Dave Hofflinger

      18 – Laura Battaglia

      20 – Brian Battaglia

      21 – Patricia Pemberton

      30 – Jean Samuel

      31 – Sharyn Krauch

      Church Office

      Apr 21, 2023, 5:52:35 PM4/21/23
      to pic-...@googlegroups.com
      • This Sunday, we welcome Vicar Luke Onken, from Fairfax Station, VA. He will be preaching and leading Adult Bible Study; Pastor Singer encourages you to come and ask him all the hard questions!
      • In addition to an anthem from the vocal choir, Sunday’s service will feature an original hymn text composed by Linda Ruhnow.
      • Would you like to honor a loved one or special occasion and help beautify the sanctuary? Look for the signup sheet on the hall bulletin board or email the church office.  Deadline for May orders: April 25.
      • Second Quarter Voters’ Meeting will be held after church on June 11. Lunch that day will be a special Turkey and Ham meal, with donations to benefit the Altar Guild (toward the cost of new paraments). Please sign up on the bulletin board if you plan to attend, so the cooks can prepare accordingly.
      • If you are a member or regularly attend services at Peace in Christ, you have been assigned to one of our elders. A list is available on the bulletin board with contact information for our elders Susan Bell (household last names A – M) and Rick Wesenberg (household last names N – Z). As well as providing leadership, Elders assist the Pastor in keeping up with the status and spiritual welfare of those in the church.
      • Pastor Singer will be on vacation until April 28. During that time, please contact Pastor Richard Benjamin or your assigned Elder if you have an urgent need.
      • Thank you for remembering to sign in on the attendance sheet by the door—it helps both the church office and the Altar Guild know how to plan.