Logo separated from plate

Jim Moy

Jan 11, 2022, 9:57:31 AM1/11/22
to pian...@googlegroups.com
Hi Everyone,

A customer had the logo panel (what's the name for it?) for a Boston grand separate from the plate, they say during a move, see attached IMG_0652, I attached the full-res image so you can zoom in on it.

The way it has separated makes me think the raised area was not cast in the mold, but attached afterwards. Other opinions? And then it's as if the plate was flexible enough to be bent and "peel back" the panel.

If I apply some pressure to it, it flexes and takes up some of the gap, but I have to press pretty hard, see attached IMG_0653. This makes me think it can't be glued down. Also, I am not much of a finish person and doubt I could match any touchup to the plate finish color and have it look any better.

The customer is primarily concerned on affecting resale. Thoughts on what might've caused this? There doesn't seem to be any other sign of impact. The piano is otherwise fine, tunes, plays, and sounds good.

-Jim

--
Jim Moy
Piano Technician

IMG_0652.jpg
IMG_0653.jpg

Joe Garrett

Jan 11, 2022, 10:05:34 AM1/11/22
to pian...@googlegroups.com

I'd certainly be in touch with Steinway!

Best,

Joe

Captain of the Tool Police

Squares R I

gpianoworks.com

Regi Hedahl

Jan 30, 2022, 1:52:36 PM1/30/22
to pianotech

After tipping the piano onto it's side,  Apply epoxy into the crack using a syringe . Press the logo panel repeatedly and it should suck the epoxy into the crack.  Keep adding epoxy until it'll take no more.   Afterwards, tip the piano back onto its legs and set a heavy weight on the logo panel and clean up the epoxy that squeezes out.

-Regi

Douglas Gregg

Feb 2, 2022, 7:56:40 PM2/2/22
to pian...@googlegroups.com
There is some paint missing that would have to be matched. That can be difficult. Perhaps Steinway has touch up paint available.

I would use thin CA glue to glue it down again. Maybe use a Jorgensen clamp on the rim and a wedge from the clamp to the badge to reduce the gap. Or maybe a heavy weight like a box of key weights.

I doubt it will affect resale though.

Doug Gregg
Classic piano doc
www.classicpianodoc.com