Large Wood Screws from Schaff

Terry Farrell

Oct 24, 2016, 2:22:02 PM10/24/16
to pian...@googlegroups.com
Andrew sent me my large wood screws. Some had asked how they looked - sharp threads, etc. I’m no expert on metal machining, but they look pretty good to me. Judge for yourself:

Terry Farrell

Joseph Garrett

Oct 24, 2016, 2:27:46 PM10/24/16
to pian...@googlegroups.com
Hmm? You can't see he difference? The Zinc plated ones have blunt edges on the cut threads. The surface is mottled making insertion more difficult.
Good picture for comparing the plain steel to the zinc.
 I suspect they'll be somewhat adequate. Since the sources are really difficult to find, it's better than nothing at all.
Best,
Joe
Captain of the Tool Police
Squares R I
gpianoworks.com

Terry Farrell

Oct 24, 2016, 3:56:48 PM10/24/16
to pian...@googlegroups.com
On Oct 24, 2016, at 2:27 PM, Joseph Garrett <joega...@earthlink.net> wrote:

Hmm? You can't see he difference?

Not so much.

The Zinc plated ones have blunt edges on the cut threads.

It appears the rounded threads are more pronounced in the picture. Holding them up in front of my nose, they really look pretty similar. I was wondering whether the plating might make the thread edges a bit rounded.

The surface is mottled making insertion more difficult.

The area between the threads? How would that make insertion more difficult?

Good picture for comparing the plain steel to the zinc.

Thanks.

 I suspect they'll be somewhat adequate.

I suspect that also.

Since the sources are really difficult to find, it's better than nothing at all.

Absolutely.

Terry Farrell

Best,
Joe

Oct 24, 2016, 4:15:26 PM10/24/16
to pian...@googlegroups.com
On 10/24/2016 1:21 PM, Terry Farrell wrote:
> Andrew sent me my large wood screws. Some had asked how they looked -
> sharp threads, etc. I’m no expert on metal machining, but they look
> pretty good to me. Judge for yourself:
>
> Terry Farrell

As much as I appreciate the nice sharp machining of the steel screw,
I've put in a whole lot of zinc plated ones like the one shown, and
worse. They work fine, realistically, if you are interested in function
over cosmetics. Is the head clean, or gobbed up like the ones I've
gotten from Schaff? That is a cosmetic concern I can support.
Ron N

Joseph Garrett

Oct 24, 2016, 4:16:52 PM10/24/16
to pian...@googlegroups.com
Ron,
Please define "gobbed up".
Best,
Joe

Captain of the Tool Police
Squares R I
gpianoworks.com

Ron Nossaman

Oct 24, 2016, 4:27:56 PM10/24/16
to pian...@googlegroups.com
On 10/24/2016 3:16 PM, Joseph Garrett wrote:
> Ron,
> Please define "gobbed up".

Not smooth, not flat.
Ron N

Terry Farrell

Oct 24, 2016, 4:41:19 PM10/24/16
to pian...@googlegroups.com
My guess is that it would qualify as  “gobbed up”. Looks about the same as the originals though. Perhaps screws with other plating are smoother, I don’t know. These will be fine for my use on my customer’s legs. I mean her piano’s legs.

Terry Farrell

Ron Nossaman

Oct 24, 2016, 4:58:30 PM10/24/16
to pian...@googlegroups.com
On 10/24/2016 3:41 PM, Terry Farrell wrote:
> My guess is that it would qualify as “gobbed up”. Looks about the same
> as the originals though. Perhaps screws with other plating are smoother,
> I don’t know. These will be fine for my use on my customer’s legs. I
> mean her piano’s legs.

That glop in the center is what I was talking about. The screws I got
were much worse than that, extending over half of the head. I've gotten
a lot of zinc plated screws from hardware stores through the years that
were far nicer looking, when they went into something that didn't matter
at all (like legs). But screws going into my nice refinished plate
looked like crap.
Ron N

Joseph Garrett

Oct 24, 2016, 8:15:48 PM10/24/16
to pian...@googlegroups.com
Ah! Gotcha! New nomenclature added to my list.<G>
Best,
Joe

Captain of the Tool Police
Squares R I